Model Cars Magazine Forum

'65 Mustang Fastback

Simo5555

Thanks everyone who has been following my other builds. This community is awesome! :D I'm usually a Mopar guy, but i really like Fords too. So i just finished my other Mustang and decided to do another one. This time the 1965 Fastback. One day i will definitely do the Shelby gt350 and the GT fastback too. Unfortunately the Revell's GT model is very rare in the EU - if anyone has any leads on where to find it, im all ears. Really love that car.

But for now, the '65 fastback. I have an idea for the paint, but we'll see how it goes. 

BwPQree.jpeg  

• Like 3

Day 1: Lets begin :D

Did some painting. Nothing major, just some small bits an pieces :D Seems like a nice solid kit - some random fitment issues, but again nothing major.
ctXvP0q.jpeg

Also did some work on the engine. Nothing major.
90IgdAy.jpg

• Like 4

The rear quarter vents are a bit pain to install. The part is just a bit too small to fit into the hole. Its impossible to get them good without some sort of cement glue. After a lot of fiddling, i got them pretty good.
WfOSCt8.jpeg

Then it was time to scribe panel lines. I'm not very good at it so this time i thought i'd try the scribbing tape. Made a world of difference
usP9PsA.jpeg

Did a quick paintjob on the fuel tank. Painted it aluminium silver. They're usually black on the real cars, but i like the silver more. Gives a bit cleaner look.
mJiFaNU.jpeg

Painter the interior too. This time, in red. Not entirely happy with the color, but still pretty happy how it turned out. Will have to think a bit - maybe i'll strip it and try something else.
kOX0noV.jpeg

• Like 2

Did some bodywork
Sanded the body with 600grit + 1000grit spones. Usually i did this with regular sandpaper, but havent touched them since i discovered sponges. Awesome things for model building. 
dNnyC2w.jpeg

Then sprayed the body with surfacer 1000 primer following the surfacer white 1500 primer
A2v5ODE.jpeg

After letting it dry for some time, it was time for paint. This time i used the Tamiya Racing white. Pretty happy how it turned out. The body itself does have some minor issues with the molding, but nothing major.
8Nzi2ww.jpeg
V8OMlZm.jpeg
4kUSAuc.jpeg
bKK7nkS.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Zippi said:

Coming along nicely.  That Tamiya Racing white looks Awesome.  I've always like the box art on this kit.

Thank you! I really like the box art too :D 

Did a bit of work on the interior too
83krRBi.jpeg
Still a lot of stuff left to do.

Edited by Simo5555
  • Like 3

This is looking very nice so far!  That red interior will look striking against the Racing White.  Sorry if this has already been asked elsewhere, but please tell me about the scribing tape.  Thank you!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Nacho Z said:

This is looking very nice so far!  That red interior will look striking against the Racing White.  Sorry if this has already been asked elsewhere, but please tell me about the scribing tape.  Thank you!

I'm by no means an expert of scribbing, but its a thick rigid tape that helps you to cut in straight lines. This is mostly used for creating new panel lines, but it also helps to scribe the existing ones too. So, you tape the edge of whatever you want to scribe and run your knife along side it. The tape will keep the knife from jumping out of the line. I used the Dspiae one, but they're all the same no matter who makes them.   
L1xMXb8.jpeg

• Like 5

Thank you, S.K., I appreciate the information!  Back in the day, guys would use the old Dymo tape, the stuff used for making old school labels.  I had a bunch of it but never liked it.  This stuff looks like a good replacement.

• Like 2

Looking really good. I like the color combo.

Just to let you know the top rear of the engine compartment should be body color. The angled section just before it goes vertical.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LennyB said:

Looking really good. I like the color combo.

Just to let you know the top rear of the engine compartment should be body color. The angled section just before it goes vertical.

Didnt even noticed that, but now when i look at some of the reference pictures, youre right :D 

Posted (edited)

Forgot to take some pictures, but painted the window trim. Did screw up a bit doing that - didnt cut the tape as straight as i would have liked. But still came out pretty good. Then glued the windows - the rear one had some fitment issues, but still got it pretty good. 
s8SWZNk.jpeg

Yvx9Wfh.jpeg

Edited by Simo5555