Model Cars Magazine Forum

One of the last models I ordered before Dad died.  I thought this was a cool looking truck and it's significant to automotive history as well, so I knew I had to have one in the collection.

The kit itself is a pretty garbage kit that fought me all the way.  The fit is horrible and things are way over molded.  There's also parts that aren't needed and the directions kinda suck too.  Getting the body on was not fun and the bumpers were next to impossible to get to stay on right.  The hood isn't glued shut, but it might as well be.  It's hard to move and wants to pop up a little.  The engine bay has little detail anyway, so I really didn't care too much other than the time wasted painting the engine and all.  It's also got some disappearing  decals. They just disappear into the paint when applied.  So that's something to be aware of as well.  Came out looking alright though.

53633044277_fcedb5da84_k.jpgSAM_1574 by Eric Lucas, on Flickr

53633937191_1a772a6594_k.jpgSAM_1575 by Eric Lucas, on Flickr

53634148668_06a435fadc_k.jpgSAM_1576 by Eric Lucas, on Flickr

• Like 9

Very nice looking Warlock.  Sounds like your typical MPC kit.  The 1978 Dodge D100 pickup was a challenge to get together as well, if I remember correctly.

1 hour ago, Jim B said:

Very nice looking Warlock.  Sounds like your typical MPC kit.  The 1978 Dodge D100 pickup was a challenge to get together as well, if I remember correctly.

It has those parts included too.  Surprisingly, the bed was the easiest thing to put together and it works well.  I should have put it down in one of the photos.  The fender decals were a nightmare as well.  I didn't mention that.  You have to connect the striping together...........They aren't really curved..............Works about as well as you could imagine.

MPC strikes again. These re-pops of old MPC kits should just stop. 

I think the amount of work it takes to make these kits look good just sucks the fun out of building.

Despite your issues, I think your build turned out pretty good.

• Like 1

Sucks about the decals, that's been an on and off Round 2 decal problem for a while. I know this kit can be a bit of a challenge but it looks like you got a nice finished result. I'm definitely getting a couple anyway, mostly for the four wheel drive drivetrain doodads.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it looks great! We know what to expect from these MPC kits by now, so just because it's new, doesn't mean they corrected any of the flaws. The Lil Red Express was just as horrible to build, and the D-100 was only slightly less of a pain to deal with. But yes, I will still be getting one of these Warlocks because it's such a cool looking truck.

• 3 weeks later...