Model Cars Magazine Forum

1972 Mercury Montego GT master for casting

Repstock

I am close to finished with this 1972 Mercury Montego GT master. I'm getting older, and 3D printing has hit it's stride, so this will be my last master. I've given you close up shots, so some things may not look as good up close as in real life viewing. I have worked with Kevin Lutz for many years and hope to continue in other capacities. Kevin (Missing Link) will be getting this master soon. I know he's very busy so it may be some time before the resin offering becomes available. I'd also like to mention Kris Morgan at M.A.D., who did a great job on my various pickup masters. Motor City (now gone), did a great job on my 1974 Econoline master. I've been happy with the castings from them all. Mostly, I've mastered for Kevin, and it's only fitting he gets the last one. Thanks to Yellowsportwagon on this board for his help with references. I hope this is a popular offering for Kevin...I'm pretty happy with the results.

There is some scribing I purposely didn't do on the hood around the scoops because the area is delicate, and on the body because I kept digging up the bodywork. Since the hood won't be composed of many pieces in resin, I hope it's possible with the resin hood. I'm not quite done yet, but this is pretty much what the resin kit will contain.

The Revell 1976 Torino is the donor kit.

DSCN2011.JPG

DSCN2012.JPG

DSCN2010.JPG

DSCN2008.JPG

DSCN2009.JPG

DSCN2013.JPG

DSCN2014.JPG

DSCN2015.JPG

DSCN2016.JPG

DSCN2017.JPG

DSCN2018.JPG

DSCN2019.JPG

Edited by Repstock
  • Like 13

43 minutes ago, Kenmojr said:

Looks awesome. Can I ask which 3D app you use? I tinker in Blender, 3D Coat and MOI3D. I use my 3D models for digital illustrations and renders only. So just curious.

I drew everything in 2D on Autocad. Others converted my drawings to 3D and printed them.

So cool. I had a 73 Gran Torino Sport, similar car, and once I saw one of these I fell in love. I'm gonna have to build one, it's a dream car of mine. I need to find a 73 nose for the 72 GTS kit as well. 

Very cool. Your building skills for masters are high calibre indeed. I got one of Paul Hettick's offerings of the 1977 Cougar you mastered for him. It was exceptionally well designed. Thank you for all your years of building masters.👏👏👏When Kevin starts offering this Montego, I'll definitely be jumping to get one.👍👍

14 hours ago, Railroad said:

Very cool. Your building skills for masters are high calibre indeed. I got one of Paul Hettick's offerings of the 1977 Cougar you mastered for him. It was exceptionally well designed. Thank you for all your years of building masters.👏👏👏When Kevin starts offering this Montego, I'll definitely be jumping to get one.👍👍

I appreciate your comments. Thank you. Model making is kind of a solitary hobby, and the "pats on the back" from this forum helps keep me motivated. I don't always express appreciation because the thread becomes more of a mutual admiration thread (nothing wrong with that) than informative. I do notice and appreciate the comments.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Repstock said:

Thought you might like this:

DSCN2020.JPG

DSCN2021.JPG

DSCN2023.JPG

Like it? I LOVE it! Mine had the same wheels, Gold Glow with a black vinyl top, ginger interior, and buckets with a console. 351CJ car, no stripe. 

Was this a resin kit or scratch built? I would love to find a body and wheels to recreate mine!

8 hours ago, Iraceitall said:

Was this a resin kit or scratch built?

It was an experiment to see if I could make the JoHan and Revell bodies work together. What I learned on this was helpful when I attempted the Montego. I had no trouble with the conversion, but the paint on the body fought me to the end.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/15/2024 at 3:55 AM, Repstock said:

It was an experiment to see if I could make the JoHan and Revell bodies work together. What I learned on this was helpful when I attempted the Montego. I had no trouble with the conversion, but the paint on the body fought me to the end.

If you don't mind me asking, where did the wheels and grille come from? I'm assuming the interior is Jo-Han? I'm starting to plan to build one.

6 hours ago, Iraceitall said:

If you don't mind me asking, where did the wheels and grille come from? I'm assuming the interior is Jo-Han? I'm starting to plan to build one.

The wheels are from Kevin Lutz (Missing Link Resin). The black areas on the hubcap are decals I drew up. The grille is just cobbled together from different extra parts I have. I'd like to do another, so I'm thinking of drawing the grille insert for 3D printing. 

• Like 1