Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950 Ford Truck (Pikes Peak)

After seeing the 1949 Ford truck called "Old Smoky" that ran the hill climb at Pikes Peak I decided to buy another 1950 Ford truck (Monogram Kit) and a body kit to try and build something similar.  I am not trying to replicate Old Smoky, just something similar or maybe an updated version since Old Smoky crashed at Pikes Peak.  The one pic shows the body kit installed on the 50 Ford truck.  The chassis was warped pretty bad so I got that straightened out with my head gun.  Filled in the injector pin marks on the inside the bed sides.  Cleaned up the flash and getting ready to glue all the parts to the body.    

20240413_123838.jpg

lead-image-1273284-1688559115.jpeg

Old Smoky 1.jpg

20240413_093025.jpg

20240413_122655.jpg

20240413_123125.jpg

20240413_130534.jpg

Wheels & Tires.jpg

Edited by Zippi
  • Like 9

I rode along on a trip up the Peak awhile ago. I'd riden along on some pretty hairy drives in Colorado ( Old Railroad Rd, Million Dollar Hwy ) yet was quite impressed with the Peak. Unfathomable to me to take some of those turns at speed...knowing a poor reaction time & response will send you over the edge for a different kind of ride.

20220930_115516.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Keef said:

I love where this is going!!! Will definitely be watching it! 

Thanks man.  I think this is going to be an enjoyable build.

15 minutes ago, styromaniac said:

I rode along on a trip up the Peak awhile ago. I'd riden along on some pretty hairy drives in Colorado ( Old Railroad Rd, Million Dollar Hwy ) yet was quite impressed with the Peak. Unfathomable to me to take some of those turns at speed...knowing a poor reaction time & response will send you over the edge for a different kind of ride.

20220930_115516.jpg

Man....I bet that would be a scary ride along.  Might have to have a couple long necks after that ride.😋

I sanded & filled the injector pin mark on the bed side and got it all mounted to the chassis.  I did a little mock-up with the 3D printed parts just to see if the parts are working together.  Looks like I may have to do a little surgery on the wheel openings on the kit.   

20240414_115551.jpg

20240414_115604.jpg

20240414_115754.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Mr. Prolific, do you ever come up for air? Seems your halfway into the next project before the paint has dried on the last. They are all fantastic as well. Amazing productivity. Gonna maybe change yer name to Mr. Zippity Split! LOL. 

1 hour ago, Rattlecan Dan said:

Hey Mr. Prolific, do you ever come up for air? Seems your halfway into the next project before the paint has dried on the last. They are all fantastic as well. Amazing productivity. Gonna maybe change yer name to Mr. Zippity Split! LOL. 

Haha...well, if there's a car show to take Ruby to I'll step away from the bench.  The name change is fine...I pretty much answer to anything anyway 😋

2 hours ago, PatW said:

Brilliant start!

Thanks Patrick.  

Just now, ksnow said:

I will be definitely be following this build. Very cool project you have started here.

Thank's Kyle.  I'm starting to think about color and decals at this point.

Well...not much to report fellows.  The weather has gotten like summer time now so I have yard work and building some new birdhouses.  I did manage to get some of the suspension cut from the tree.  I figured I'd better get that set and get a rolling chassis before I glue the body kit on.  Got to make sure the wheel openings are in the correct position.  

20240418_120447.jpg

20240418_120519.jpg

20240418_090853.jpg

• Like 5