Model Cars Magazine Forum

A real hidden treasure.

I was driving around running some errands yesterday,when I came across an old model RXR club/museum.I wasn’t sure if they were still open.I pulled up to the building and noticed an elderly gentleman outside.I asked him if the museum was still open,since the sign was still up.He informed me that he had closed the museum about five years ago,because he was suffering from cancer,and most of the club members had either moved away,or passed away.He stated that the giant(Lionel) layout was still up,& sort of running..This is a lousy picture of the outside of the  museum’’s building,(sorry bad photo)And the entire thing was for sale.This is some of what he showed me(there were a lot of other boxed up trains in another room for sale as well).I was just blown away.He's asking around 5K or so for everything.I do believe I may have two friends of mine,along with myself,that might make the investment.🤞I hope..

IMG_1447.jpeg

IMG_1446.jpeg

IMG_1444.jpeg

IMG_1445.jpeg

IMG_1442.jpeg

IMG_1441.jpeg

IMG_1440.jpeg

IMG_1437.jpeg

IMG_1438.jpeg

IMG_1439.jpeg

IMG_1435.jpeg

IMG_1431.jpeg

IMG_1432.jpeg

IMG_1433.jpeg

IMG_1430.jpeg

IMG_1429.jpeg

IMG_1428.jpeg

IMG_1425.jpeg

IMG_1426.jpeg

IMG_1422.jpeg

IMG_1421.jpeg

IMG_1418.jpeg

IMG_1419.jpeg

IMG_1417.jpeg

IMG_1416.jpeg

IMG_1415.jpeg

IMG_1412.jpeg

IMG_1414.jpeg

IMG_1411.jpeg

IMG_1405.jpeg

IMG_1402.jpeg

IMG_1403.jpeg

IMG_1400.jpeg

IMG_1401.jpeg

IMG_1404.jpeg

IMG_1407.jpeg

IMG_1410.jpeg

IMG_1397.jpeg

Edited by NYLIBUD
  • Like 2

Sure hope you can find a way to save it. Pretty nice layout for 3-rail O-scale enthusiasts.

Sadly, most everything like this ends up scattered, or worse, in a landfill when the last old guy passes on.

At current asking-prices, the $5k is cheap for everything that's there.

25 minutes ago, Mike 1017 said:

Who knows what is buried in those boxes. Please keep us informed if you purchase it. Would your own website be a possibility?

Mike

Yea,like I said,there was a whole other section with just trains.Some boxed,some loose.It was crazy seeing what this guy had.The $5 grand price,includes a lot,but not everything.He actually wanted $15K for the entire collection.As I said,he’s an older man,and not in good health,so who knows what will happen.There was so much stuff,I couldn’t believe it..I told him to maybe have an auction.He said he was thinking about doing that.And as far as a website,that’s a negative,I do not have one.

16 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

Yea,like I said,there was a whole other section with just trains.Some boxed,some loose.It was crazy seeing what this guy had.The $5 grand price,includes a lot,but not everything.He actually wanted $15K for the entire collection.As I said,he’s an older man,and not in good health,so who knows what will happen.There was so much stuff,I couldn’t believe it..I told him to maybe have an auction.He said he was thinking about doing that.And as far as a website,that’s a negative,I do not have one.

I meant if you to acquire it. Would you have web site dedicated to your great discovery or maybe a You-Tube video? My wife and I are into antiquing so this gets my blood pumping.

Best of luck

Mike

5 minutes ago, Mike 1017 said:

I meant if you to acquire it. Would you have web site dedicated to your great discovery or maybe a You-Tube video? My wife and I are into antiquing so this gets my blood pumping.

Best of luck

Mike

I gotcha,yea it was just weird,I drove past the place a million times,and this time I decided to pull in.I would never have guessed he had so much.I’ll keep u posted.

9 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

I gotcha,yea it was just weird,I drove past the place a million times,and this time I decided to pull in.I would never have guessed he had so much.I’ll keep u posted.

When we go out, we see a lot of stores and buildings that are closed. Peeking through a window we see a lot of interesting stuff laying around.

Good luck. There. was a nice place in Blissfield MI like this. The guys that ran it aged out last I was told.  There is even a dinner mystery train very close thay still runs on the weekends. The town is small though, a lot of farm land around there.  

Probably not a bad deal!  I've always wondered what happens to those massive model RR layouts that people have built over the years or museums, etc close. Seems like a massive investment in time, money & space. 

In Pennsylvania, there was the beloved Roadside America attraction, built to nominally 3/8" to the foot scale to go with the larger tinplate trains Lionel was selling at the time, but the trains were eventually replaced with Lionel 0 Gauge.  On top of that scale difference, numerous 1:25 scale cars populated the streets.  Unfortunately during the pandemic the attraction closed. 

On the other hand, another longtime attraction, Choo Choo Barn, also in PA, has changed hands, but reportedly it's supposed to continue operation.  It too utilizes Lionel O Gauge trains.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2024 at 6:59 PM, RSchnell said:

Probably not a bad deal!  I've always wondered what happens to those massive model RR layouts that people have built over the years or museums, etc close. Seems like a massive investment in time, money & space. 

Yea,it’s kind of sad.The guy said he tried for a long time to keep the place going,and the lights on,however like I said,he had stated that he’s not healthy,most of the club members have passed away,or moved away…And your right,it would be a huge undertaking to pack up and move the entire collection.Not sure it’s something I really can do at the moment after all.,but will see..As I said,he wants to sell the whole the place at one time..For me,it was just really cool seeing the place.Ive loved trains since I’m a kid.I do normally collect HO scale,but seeing everything he had was still great.Just like a kid in a candy store.🤣

IMG_1507.jpeg

20 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

Yea,it’s kind of sad.The guy said he tried for a long time to keep the place going,and the lights on,however like I said,he had stated that he’s not healthy,most of the club members have passed away,or moved away…And your right,it would be a huge undertaking to pack up and move the entire collection.Not sure it’s something I really can do at the moment after all.,but will see..As I said,he wants to sell the whole the place at one time..For me,it was just really cool seeing the place.Ive loved trains since I’m a kid.I do normally collect HO scale,but seeing everything he had was still great.Just like a kid in a candy store.🤣

IMG_1507.jpeg

I've always wanted to do a HO layout, but between model cars/aircraft/space, Photography & the occasional 1:1 car I've never had the time or space for it. 

There used to be a large model railroad museum in Sarasota, FL that was around 6000 sq ft. with 4 or 5 big layouts etc. It closed a few years ago and I believe everything was auctioned off. There's a model railroad shop I visit fairly often that deals in mostly used equipment buying collections and inventory from closed stores, etc. According to the owner he said things have been pretty good for him since the pandemic & it hasn't really slowed down. When they have it in stock, I buy Floquil paint there for a buck a bottle. I love me some Floquil LOL. The area where that shop is has a large retired population with a bit of disposable income so that probably helps. 

Here in my area on the east coast of FL, there's nothing left. Not even a normal LHS!

It’s sort of like a “barn find”😁,But just with model trains.I’m trying to get a few friends together,to possibly go in with me,to buy his collection.🤞Also,again if you have never seen any of Rod Stewart’s layout,check it out,(You Tube,or maybe check out the back issue of Model RXR.).It’s really incredible.

On 4/27/2024 at 4:34 AM, NYLIBUD said:

It’s amazing,not a lot of people know that,of all people,Rod Stewart has one of the largest,and detailed model RXR.Hes been featured in a bunch of magazines over the years.

It's amazing what you can do when you're semi-retired and have as much extra time as you want.

And a space large enough to do it.

Ohh, and Rod Stewart's bank account!

• Haha 1

Yes, I think I read that when he was on tour, he would always bring his workbench with him so that he could work on parts of the track from the various hotels around the world. 

Nightlife? Parties? Art galleries? 

Nope. Building scenery for his train set!

I am reminded of the Trailer Park Boys episode where Bubbles and the boys head to a train show in the US to see Patrick Swayze's train set. And then Sebastian Bach from Skid Row discusses his love of model trains. Then Bubbles stole Swayze's train. 

There is language in this clip, so do not click if you are offended by words starting with f.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAbZi14-i6s

:)

theres a tv showthat features some famous model railroaders. its called the joy of trains with pete waterman. rod stewarts layout was featured and one of the guys from the who. james may was also featured but he also did a series on railroads. theres a third series too but i cant remember much about it apart from it was teams doing layouts in competition. it was a good watch. you might find some of these on bbc iplayer or britbox. these are all within the last 5 or 6 years

Actually Neil Young bought an interest in the  Lionel company many years ago, something like 20%. Not sure if he still owns a part of it. And he would bring a layout on tour with him.

14 hours ago, stitchdup said:

theres a tv showthat features some famous model railroaders. its called the joy of trains with pete waterman. rod stewarts layout was featured and one of the guys from the who. james may was also featured but he also did a series on railroads. theres a third series too but i cant remember much about it apart from it was teams doing layouts in competition. it was a good watch. you might find some of these on bbc iplayer or britbox. these are all within the last 5 or 6 years

Wasn't it James May's Toy Stories? I remember watching with interest the train one as they ended up in Barnstaple, England. That's where my family hails from and still have some distant kin in that area. I enjoyed the whole series, but the Airfix and train episodes were my favorites.

32 minutes ago, RSchnell said:

Wasn't it James May's Toy Stories? I remember watching with interest the train one as they ended up in Barnstaple, England. That's where my family hails from and still have some distant kin in that area. I enjoyed the whole series, but the Airfix and train episodes were my favorites.

there was one just on trains, it might have been toy stories but i'm sure it was a series on model trains

19 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

there was one just on trains, it might have been toy stories but i'm sure it was a series on model trains

I will have to look it up. I like James May. Seems like a dude I'd sit down and have a beer with.  

Did you watch James May's Big Trouble in Model Britain? I've not been able to watch it on this side of the pond. I'm a big Airfix kit collector/builder so I'm sure it'd be interesting to watch, if not a bit dated now.