Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can you identify this car ?

I was surfing the Old car advertising site and found this 1964 Pontiac Tempest ad, in the shot of the car in traffic with the woman with her head leaning out the window there’s a car behind the Tempest that I can’t identify, it’s not a TBird, I also thought it might be a Cadillac concept car but none that I could find, it could be something foreign, I’m scratching my head…?image.jpeg.518bde2bdd14e343263b8381732b6aea.jpeg

• Like 1

Maybe the retouched TBird, though the turn signal lights are in the lower bumper on a 57? The windshield frame doesn’t Mach to my eye either. I’m hoping we figure this out it’s keeping me up at night 😞

I'm thinking retouched '57 T-Bird too.

The baby Birds were so iconic, so easily recognized, a GM ad agency art director wouldn't want one to be visible.

The area around the headlight is muddy, and could have been reworked into a squared-off shape instead of the Bird's round headlight surround / fender extension. Likewise the area on the bumper under the headlight is muddy, as if the parking light was retouched out.

The general proportions and detail proportions are right for a baby Bird, as you can see by comparing with the photo below...things like overall height, height of the fender over the wheel arch, height of the headlight above the bumper, etc. The windshield looks exactly like baby Bird, and it looks to me like you can just make out the chrome gills that live behind the wheel opening on the fender too, and the beginning of the tailfin on the door, with the chrome handle in it.

The wiper arm is sticking up from the right place for a baby Bird too.

The process would involve airbrushing a sharp positive print, then photographing that to produce an internegative that the color separation / printing plates would be made from.

Anyway, that's my story, and I'm sticking with it...fer now.

image.png.c05e44572e24463723b8f5120c19672d.png    image.png.a3ea17756f57ced80cfd3a745645c3c3.png

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

I'm voting for the retouched '57 T-bird guesses, where GM did something funny to the windshield by adding a vertical bar to it, and maybe plunked in a '57 Chevy headlight bezel shape. The tell-tale for the T-bird might be right where its front bumper is beginning to be hidden.

Pontibird.jpg.f0669bbdff8fb00dd73edcdb89426b9a.jpg

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Russell C said:

I'm voting for the retouched '57 T-bird guesses, where GM did something funny to the windshield by adding a vertical bar to it...

That's the wiper sticking up, and it comes from the correct place on the cowl for a '57 Bird...

...and looking at your green reference shot, I'm 100% convinced it's a retouched '57 T-Bird, no doubt about it.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yah I’m thinking the retouched TBird’s got the best shot, and I kind of like the 57 Cadillac look of the headlight treatment, it would be hard to do in scale unless you want to butcher up a resin 57 😞👍