Model Cars Magazine Forum

Been working on this project for a while now.  Slow in coming as there is a lot of underside detail to do.  Lots of castings, brass soldering, etc.  But it is fun to do.  Will be posting in progress pix from now on.  The M-20 is a Diamond T 10 ton tractor used to pull a 45 ton Rogers trailer.  They hauled tanks and also heavy supplies to the American army as it progressed inland from the beaches of Normandy.  Trailer will be done after the tractor is finished.

100_0635.thumb.JPG.84fad8e8da32aa5511db5da02d9d9251.JPG100_0638.thumb.JPG.c9fcafc6840a776d7142d487d82ad54d.JPG100_0639.thumb.JPG.0cfeb32d9b9dedd9e7cfda2cb7781773.JPG100_0640.JPG.7ddd8d74bf4fc3e561c2b7c9b6b2ac36.JPG100_0645.JPG.895fb784dd2a189ee444834b9b8cc332.JPG

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

Here's the latest work on the M-20.  Front springs are done along with shackle components.  I found some soft 1/8" brass craft wire that comes in a coil but which is easy to straighten.  Pieces were cut to length and soldered at the ends beginning with the short ones first.  The front axle is soldered brass stock as well.  Spindles a finished and the wheels are all set for tie rod connections and the steering arm.  The gadget in the right front is a template for making holes in the wheels for the lug nuts.  It fits the center of the wheel and it is easy to locate each hole for drilling and the spacing is even.  Can't do it to the remaining front wheel.  The hub is glued in so the locations for drilling have to be by eye.  Oh, well.  Live and learn!!  The universal joints are 3D printed from Down Range Productions.  They sort of snap together but need to be modified for the drive shafts.

012.thumb.JPG.8fdc91326be9655c0fa41d48e300e94b.JPG013.thumb.JPG.cf87ab7d1b9dd04f6c6f0f02da3c2c65.JPG

Edited by Chariots of Fire
  • Like 3

Such neat work, with no detail overlooked! Nice to see those 'healthy' springs, nice to know they exist, as I got some flak when I made similar ones for my Futurliner, and gave up. I didn't really have good reference photos anyway. Guess they were often seen on heavy military trucks, wonder if GM made something similar

You are using wire for the shackle bolts? Do those glass hex beads work as fasteners here or are they just for lug nuts

Hey, Bob.  The hex nuts are on the ends of the shackle bolts but are hard to see.  I use them for all sorts of stuff.

17 hours ago, redneckrigger said:

Unbelievable! As usual........!  Fantastic work Charlie. Where do you source the NDT tires?

I had a master done in 3D by Down Range Productions.  Then I made a mold and cast what you see.  All I did was send a photo of the tire with some basic dimensions and they did the rest.  12:00 x 20's are good size and much larger than anything else I had.

• Like 2