Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/8 Scale Jaguar XKE Coupe

Posted (edited)

This 1/8 scale Jaguar XKE Coupe project started a number of years ago when a friend gave our car modelling club the kit that he figured he would never get around to building. Enough modellers volunteered to share in the building that it seemed all I had to do initially was to sort out and divide up the parts. It was a joint decision that the E-Type should be British Racing Green. Meanwhile individual modellers built the engine, assembled the independent rear suspension, inboard brakes and differential, put together the front suspension and engine support structure and looked after the interior. Once all this work was completed everything was brought together for final assembly. Considerable trimming of parts was required to get things to fit together reasonably closely. Maybe this was due to there being more than one builder and assemblies being done in isolation. Once all together the model is definitely impressive and not just because of its size. The opening door and hood gaps are amazingly close.

2024-05-0111_44_26.thumb.jpg.778a7a79192421ffe592e385fcdb75f9.jpg2024-05-0111_45_00.thumb.jpg.abe9a0f86ef864b95295e6eeeca6ef00.jpg2024-05-0111_45_27.thumb.jpg.ab61a50eeaabc7b383e6a46e8448cd66.jpg2024-05-0111_46_11.thumb.jpg.cfeb8e5a90944d6c8f6277ddb63f3630.jpg

Edited by Phildaupho
  • Like 10

I'm with Bill on the appearance of this build. The picture looks more like the inspiration than the finished build. All the finished surfaces are so realistic looking. 

Holy Cow. What a gorgeous build. Had I not known it was a model in 1/8 scale, I would have thought it was a real car. Seriously. And the outdoor photos and the background make it seem even more real. Excellent collaboration and incredible details.

Love this kit. I bought one at a garage sale years ago. $40. The kit was opened but still has all the parts. Want to build this one. Yours looks great! Great job! 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Perspective Customs said:

Almost?

Yes, almost.

No offense intended, but as I've spent several decades around real ones, there are things that just jump out at me, and I'm not going to pick at them, or pretend otherwise.

It's a beautiful model that anyone would be rightfully proud of.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

4 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Pretty baby. Looks almost real.  :D

4 hours ago, espo said:

I'm with Bill on the appearance of this build. The picture looks more like the inspiration than the finished build. All the finished surfaces are so realistic looking. 

3 hours ago, John B. said:

Extremely realistic and exceptionally well done!

2 hours ago, karbuildr said:

Holy Cow. What a gorgeous build. Had I not known it was a model in 1/8 scale, I would have thought it was a real car. Seriously. And the outdoor photos and the background make it seem even more real. Excellent collaboration and incredible details.

1 hour ago, happy grumpy said:

At that scale , it would easily pass for the real thing, an excellent model and a real classic car. Outstanding! 

1 hour ago, Brudda said:

Love this kit. I bought one at a garage sale years ago. $40. The kit was opened but still has all the parts. Want to build this one. Yours looks great! Great job! 

8 minutes ago, PappyD340 said:

Beautifully done!

Thanks everyone I really appreciate your comments. It turned out way better than I expected and I am currently enjoying looking at it on my mantle. It is the only 1/8 scale model I have ever been involved with and I have to admit it was a daunting experience !!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Perspective Customs said:

Almost?

image.png.d7efab771b0613a320cab543fdcc6628.png

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yes, almost.

No offense intended, but as I've spent several decades around real ones, there are things that just jump out at me, and I'm not going to pick at them, or pretend otherwise.

It's a beautiful model that anyone would be rightfully proud of.

Close  counts for me most of the time but it does look right on first observation however I did find it weird that that no driveshaft was included between the transmission and differential. I did add one although even that is not in anyway accurate as no-one  is probably going to look underneath. Building this did bring me back back to the mid-1970's when I had 3 friends with E-Types. One was a fairly new yellow Coupe that I never got a chance to drive or ride in. Years later I mentioned this to the former owner to which he replied all I had to do was ask. Opportunity missed !! The other two were mid a 1960's  roadster and a coupe which I got to drive a few times. Those big 6's were sure tongue monster  engines but you sate too close to the skinny steering wheel.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phildaupho said:

Close  counts for me most of the time but it does look right on first observation however I did find it weird that that no driveshaft was included between the transmission and differential. I did add one although even that is not in anyway accurate as no-one  is probably going to look underneath. Building this did bring me back back to the mid-1970's when I had 3 friends with E-Types. One was a fairly new yellow Coupe that I never got a chance to drive or ride in. Years later I mentioned this to the former owner to which he replied all I had to do was ask. Opportunity missed !! The other two were mid a 1960's  roadster and a coupe which I got to drive a few times. Those big 6's were sure tongue monster  engines but you sate too close to the skinny steering wheel.

Yup, they're wonderful cars, and your model certainly does them justice. There are few engines as visually attractive, to me anyway, than those early ones with the gorgeous polished alloy cam covers. And that sound...

I agree with you about the driving position, but the thing is just so pretty when you walk up to it, it can get away with a lot of small things...kinda like a beautiful woman. B)

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

Monogram

19 hours ago, 70 Sting said:

Beautiful paint job. Awesome interior.  Car looks 1:1 in your photos. Well done sir.

19 hours ago, drippingoil said:

Beautiful to my eye

12 hours ago, Yeah Nah said:

Great group project!

Thanks guys - I have it on my mantle and I am enjoying looking at it.

Edited by Phildaupho
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, rrb124@sbcglobal.net said:

I remember years and years ago when it came out. My little brother got it for birthday. We both tried to get it to stick together with what we had for glue! 

Yours is Bingo!

Yes I can imagine. I used lots of CA/crazy glue then hit it with accelerator. I did add an inner joiner piece on one side.

Really nice E-Type there Phil, these large scale kits look so realistic when built well and yours is definitely in this category. Well done to all involved in this fantastic group build.

Cheers, 

David. 😎👍

• Like 1