Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hello I am using molotow liquid chrome markers. But I am having a problem with getting a even finish. I have tried starting with a primer base and then a like missed clear coat sometimes even multiple like missed clear coats I have tried many different things wondered if anybody had any tips or tricks or advice to keep this from happening keep going over the part and over it and over it I never get an even finish? It's frustrating. 

On 5/4/2024 at 5:24 AM, James Dawson said:

Hello I am using molotow liquid chrome markers. But I am having a problem with getting a even finish. I have tried starting with a primer base and then a like missed clear coat sometimes even multiple like missed clear coats I have tried many different things wondered if anybody had any tips or tricks or advice to keep this from happening keep going over the part and over it and over it I never get an even finish? It's frustrating. 

I have not had much luck with the markers. I bought a 30ml refill that I intended to spray through my airbrush, but haven’t gotten around to it yet. I think the trick is to get one heavy coat on that “flows out”…then don’t touch it. Some people like them but I’m not a big fan.

i find it easier to pump some onto scraps and then brush it. work fast and fairly wet and do it all at once as it wont touch up nicely. if it goes wrong you need to clean it off before recoating as it will soften the previous layer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

I have not had much luck with the markers. I bought a 30ml refill that I intended to spray through my airbrush, but haven’t gotten around to it yet. I think the trick is to get one heavy coat on that “flows out”…then don’t touch it. Some people like them but I’m not a big fan.

I have airbrushed and I have had good results. One heavy coat does the trick. I put the painted into my dehydrator which dries it out so it can be handled with no problems. Also, Molotov is ink not paint

Mike

Hi James!

I have switched to the Molotow REFILS, usually available wherever you buy the pens. They are more expensive, but allow you to pour the needed  quantity in a spoon, and brush-paint it on your model (very fine or medium tip brush works well). My experience is that a UNIQUE and VERY WET brush application will do. Avoid touching up what you just brushed, it will marr the uniform chrome surface. If you need to do touch-ups, wait at least 24h for the wet coat to fully cure, and cover the whole surface again, not just the blemish, because  your touch-up  will be too apparent.. 

Usually works great. Good luck! 

CT 

2 hours ago, Mike 1017 said:

I have airbrushed and I have had good results. One heavy coat does the trick. I put the painted into my dehydrator which dries it out so it can be handled with no problems. Also, Molotov is ink not paint

Mike

You’re saying that Molotow can be handled without leaving marks on it if it is dry enough? What do you spray it over…primer…base coat?

16 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

You’re saying that Molotow can be handled without leaving marks on it if it is dry enough? What do you spray it over…primer…base coat?

Yes. I spay it over bare plastic, primer, basecoat and really anything. I posted pictures of my fingers holding a T-Bird door panel that I sprayed with it. The other picture shows no residue or smears on my finger or the part. I will do it again and post my results.

Good Luck 

Mike

10 minutes ago, Mike 1017 said:

Yes. I spay it over bare plastic, primer, basecoat and really anything. I posted pictures of my fingers holding a T-Bird door panel that I sprayed with it. The other picture shows no residue or smears on my finger or the part. I will do it again and post my results.

Good Luck 

Mike

Eat some potato chips before the next test.  ;)