Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dad's 1967 GTO

ksnow

I have finally dug into building my dad's 67 GTO. He bought it used when it was only 6 months old. Drove it until 1983, when he sold it to buy a station wagon for the family. By that time the lower parts of the rear quarters had been replaced with pop riveted aluminum sheet, gotta love WI road salt. The car was tyrol blue with a white interior and a white vinyl top.

Starting with the MPC/AMT/Ertl 1967 GTO kit, and its a doozy. I have several releases of it, including the one pictured below, and none of them are near what I would like. After looking at it, and looking at it, and looking at it, I finally opened the Revell 1966 GTO and wow, what a difference. The current plan is to use the body and interior tub from the 67 kit and everything else from the 66 kit. I've hunted down wheel covers that will be close enough, and a single 4 barrel intake for the Revell motor. 

Here's Mom and Dad with the GTO in the early 70's.

And my progress on the body. The AMT kit has the fender liners molded with the blob of a chassis, the Revell kit has them with the body. A little surgery and I have the liners and radiator upper brace rough fit into the 67 body. 

PICT0246small.JPG

20240513_195936.jpg

chrome_81KhN6ffPz.png

• Like 5

I was 5 when it got sold, so I only have vague memories of it.  And the above picture is the only picture we have of it. I just hope i can do the car justice.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, espo said:

I always enjoy watching a build by someone with a personal connection to the vehicle. Family cars are especially special. 

I agree.  I know the 66 kit is so much better than the 67 GTO.  I love you are doing this.  It will be fun to watch.  

Tonight I got the fender liner/radiator cover glued in place. This was my first time trying anything like this. I am pretty happy with how it turned out. Had to trim the drop part on the front center. The 66 GTO has a flare that goes under the grill inserts a bit, in 67 the drop part is straight on the sides. Its interesting researching all the little differences between model years.

20240514_200429.jpg

20240514_200415.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, David G. said:

Nice progress on the kit-bash!

David G.

Thank you. I'll get more practice at it. I started looking at the rest of the body and there are some short shots at the corners of the wheel openings, and the A-pillars are misaligned in the middle. I pulled out another 67 body from another kit, and the molding is much better. So, I will be cutting the 66 piece back out and putting it into a new body. That will also give me a chance to add some sort of ledge for the hood to sit on, which I forgot about in my first attempt.

I'll practice the vinyl top on the first body also. It pays to have 2 or 5 extra kits some times.

• 2 weeks later...