Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram's 1955 Lincoln Futura Concept Car: WIP

Hello Everybody!

The Lincoln Futura Concept Car by Monogram. This is a 1:25 scale model of the 1955 Lincoln Futura concept car. Though not completely accurate and a little oversimplified it does have the advantage of being the most readily available representation. And it is a good representation. 

I'll be building it OOB without any modifications with the exception of some structural reinforcements to help strengthen and true the multi-piece body.

I love the retro Art Deco style illustrations! I'll probably mat and frame this when I'm done building the car. 

Seriously.

Futura_00.jpg.6fe064757ea40837d544ef5e09216f4a.jpg

Test fit and mock-up. The body panels do fit together pretty well.

Futura_01.jpg.0abb19f8726f57f51bad179f7ec78ae0.jpg

There also seems to be no warpage. But oh, the shrink marks! 😮 Those are going to take some time to fix.

Futura_02.jpg.d7d11bced70b05a28cadfcd059334187.jpg

I have the feeling that this "simple" build may take longer than I expect.

Of course, since I'm now expecting it to take longer than I expected... I guess that means that no matter how long it takes, I'm right on schedule!

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.

David G.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

This looks like fun, Dave. The thought of a car without windows makes me a bit clostrophobic but it's a pretty cool piece of automotive history. I'm following this one, for sure. What's this about stretch marks? I thought only pregnant women got those 😄.

Edit: BTW, I wouldn't call this box art "Art Deco". At the time this thing was current, Deco was old hat. I don't know what the official name for it is but I think of it as "Jet Age" or "Modern" or maybe " Futurama ". Maybe somebody here went to art school (but I doubt it) 🤓

Edited by customline

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, customline said:

...Maybe somebody here went to art school (but I doubt it

I did, but I didn't graduate.

It's just '50s advertising illustration, a lot of ink and watercolor and airbrush work.

https://www.pinterest.com/ideas/1950s-art/925379815750/

Corporate advertising art from the period was a strong influence on the "pop art" movement of the '50s, '60s, and '70s.

Nice work on the build so far, by the way.  :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

It's just '50s advertising illustration, a lot of ink and watercolor and airbrush work.

Corporate advertising art from the period was a strong influence on the "pop art" movement of the '50s, '60s, and '70s.

Ace! I need your expertise on something. If you would, please have a look at my Tasca 777 lightweight Galaxie  build in the drag cars section. It's about the rear mounted traction bars. Maybe you could add something to help me understand those things a bit better.

14 hours ago, customline said:

This looks like fun, Dave. The thought of a car without windows makes me a bit clostrophobic but it's a pretty cool piece of automotive history. I'm following this one, for sure. What's this about stretch marks? I thought only pregnant women got those 😄.

Edit: BTW, I wouldn't call this box art "Art Deco". At the time this thing was current, Deco was old hat. I don't know what the official name for it is but I think of it as "Jet Age" or "Modern" or maybe " Futurama ". Maybe somebody here went to art school (but I doubt it) 🤓

I'm still waiting for the fun part to kick in on this one Jim. It's certainly engaging but filling sink marks is among my least favorite of activities. The process is just so so slow and time consuming that I'd honestly rather foil the chrome on a 59 Chrysler.

At least with that it's much easier to see one's progress.

How about "Klassic Kitsch" as a name for the art style?

14 hours ago, Zippi said:

That Lincoln Concept car looks like a Great little project Dave.  Looking good.

Thank you Bob!

10 hours ago, Bainford said:

Another cool project, David. Looking forward to seeing this old kit come together. 

Thanks Trevor, I'm glad to know that you're along for the ride.

10 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I’ve always wanted to build one of these…I’ll be watching! 

As have I Jim. Though after seeing what needs to be done to make this old kit look good, you may change your mind.

9 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

"Pop Art" works. It certainly does "Pop" :D 

Thanks BTW! :D 

More to come soon.

David G.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2024 at 8:16 AM, David G. said:

I have the feeling that this "simple" build may take longer than I expect.

Like what happened with the last simple build you did.😬 At least this doesn't have stickers.

I have this on my bucket list but really want to do a detail build out of it somehow.  Still have mixed feelings about what George did to the car, maybe I'll just take a Batmobile and reverse engineer it. 😁

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, LennyB said:

Like what happened with the last simple build you did.😬 At least this doesn't have stickers.

I have this on my bucket list but really want to do a detail build out of it somehow.  Still have mixed feelings about what George did to the car, maybe I'll just take a Batmobile and reverse engineer it. 😁

Yeaaaah, don't remind me Len. :D 

I've been leaning toward the "easier" builds lately. Currently there's this one and the Chaparral, both are curbside kits with fewer total pieces than are in just the engine and chassis of most "traditional" style AMT or Revell kits.

When I started planning this build I thought about upgrading the details. I dug out one of the more recent Moebius Batmobile to see if I could maybe kit-bash the two of them into one nicely detailed Futura. 

It turns out that the two of them are totally different creatures. The proportions don't match in any significant way...  they don't even seem to be in the same scale! On top of that, the reference material for the Futura seems limited to about a dozen photos, most of which are of marginal quality. 

Making a detailed model with those materials and circumstances would take a serious amount of guesswork some creative engineering. At least more than I currently have at my disposal. It would end up being another one of those ambitious projects that, once started I might never finish. 

As for what Barris did to the original Futura, all artistic critiques aside, I think his actions probably saved it from obscurity. How many of those concept cars from that era still exist? 
From what I understand, when Barris got his hands on the Futura it was decomposing in a back lot, already well on its way down the road to obscurity.

lincoln-futurarustyfuturafront.jpg.d5c711b3a55a347e1c76810e575b743a.jpg

He took a soon-to-be-forgotten relic and made it into an icon. 

Batone21(2).jpg.3f7087348671717485352d69f9ddea01.jpg

I would love to see a more accurate, more detailed kit for the Futura. In the meantime maybe you'll have some luck with a kit-bash of the Moebius and Monogram kits.

Of course with the recent upsurge of CAD drafted 3D printed models, maybe somebody's working on right now.

That would be great, wouldn't it?

David G. 

Edited by David G.
typo

9 minutes ago, customline said:

Dave, the sink-hole thing? What are you filling them with that is so time consuming? Why not use Bondo? (What am I missing? 🥴) you could be painting it by now 🙂

I use spot putty. I prime, sand, apply putty to any sink marks I see (there are many) and let that cure for a day or two- lather, rinse and repeat. I apply the putty in very thin layers to avoid shrinking and cracking and I almost never get one completely filled and smoothed on the first pass. And it seems like there is always just one more.

That, and I've always been a slow builder.

Just now, customline said:

Maybe with AI and all the 3D out there we could see these in 1:25 someday 😉 (that last one ought to be an easy kit-bash )

downloadfile.jpg.bb257df3272ebfeaed8645a95050a5ec.jpg51buic10.jpg.d0c021c84897acdad8023423f197e580.jpgdownloadfile-2.jpg.c641948f72d53855969a3852afc69106.jpg

Indeed, that would be cool.

Thanks for your comments Jim, and the cool photos too.

David G.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Another option to filling the sink marks is a ca glue. It speeds up the process.

I agree. Just zap it and sand before it cures completely.  It stays soft like the styrene for a while. I will use it for small pits and depressions. No waiting, David 🤓 ! Then you can do a final with "spot putty"  before a fine sanding.

Edited by customline

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, customline said:

Yeah, sorry David, I'm doing it again....

Ummm, doing what Jim?

No worries, we're good.

18 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Another option to filling the sink marks is a ca glue. It speeds up the process.

Thanks Bob, I've used CA a number of times before and with a few exceptions, I had trouble getting satisfactory results. I can't seem to hit the right point in the CA cure cycle and start working it when it's still too soft or has already hardened to diamond. 

More often than not I started working it when the top was cured and the base was not making an unpleasant mess of it.

18 hours ago, customline said:

I agree. Just zap it and sand before it cures completely.  It stays soft like the styrene for a while. I will use it for small pits and depressions. No waiting, David 🤓 ! Then you can do a final with "spot putty"  before a fine sanding.

As I mentioned above, I have tried CA as a body filler and I do still use it when the circumstance calls for it. I have a small container of baking soda on my desk that I mix with CA for filling larger areas, like I did on my Rolls when I had to build up that transitional area between the fenders and doors. 

62_Rolls_18.jpg.a8681ac704713918690478ccb55d97b8.jpg

So yeah, I'm familiar with using CA as a body filler but I just have to work with the materials that give me the best results for the way that I work.

The wait time is not a problem for me. I have to wait for paint to cure before I color sand it, waiting for the putty to cure is no different to me. Those wait times are the times are when I either work on some other task. Like getting the suspension parts ready for paint or working on one of the other builds I have going. Of which I currently have three. 

Please don't misunderstand me. I do appreciate suggestions, tips and pointers. I'm not upset or insulted by any help or suggestions that anyone offers. After all, no one really knows what someone else knows and doesn't know. Ya know?

Thank you both for taking the time to offer your pointers, I appreciate your thoughtfulness and consideration.

Cheers,

David G.

Edited by David G.
typo

Hello Everybody!

In spite of my plodding, progress is being made and here's proof!

Two-piece styrene tires. In spite of the bad reputation given to them by some, with proper attention they can actually yield good results. One advantage they have is being an ideal starting point for tires sporting wide whitewalls. It's far easier to make a tire black than it is to make a whitewall white.

Futura_03.jpg.87e89b277bb848442ce8890cd0361e3a.jpg

I've started masking these for painting the flat black for the body of the tire. A little pencil rubbing on the raised bit that outlines the whitewall helps to guide the blade when cutting the tape.

Futura_04.jpg.598bc224e4f728af531cf6ef946cac9e.jpg

There's just a little bit of cleanup but I think they look as they should. I'll probably give them a quick shot of dull coat to take some of the plasticky shine off the whitewalls, but other than that, I think they're good.

Futura_05.jpg.f75c2f85da7111f9067e8a23eaf98c71.jpg

Here are the tires all cleaned up and ready for service.

Futura_06.jpg.c6be0641332ca8172c1c5dfd9a545260.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.

David G.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, customline said:

Well.....they'll never go flat on you. 🤣

They will once David hits them with the dull coat🤪Hopefully he does that before you hit me Jim. 🧟‍♂️