Model Cars Magazine Forum

New for Moebius models

The stock kit (top) shows a ‘65 Chevy II hardtop in the regular Nova trim (not Super Sport). I hope that the actual kit is in the Super Sport trim, like on the Resto Mod kit box art.

• 2 weeks later...

These will be a must have, or at least the stock one! :P

Now I just wish they'd do a '62 Chevy II or Nova, as it is the only year model that can't be built with parts that are easily available. See, '63 can be built out of AMT's reissued '63 Wagon or Trumpeter's Nova kits (not the easiest to find, but they are out there), '64 and '65 are easy to build with the current Moebius kits, but for 1962 the only choice is an AMT annual...

• Like 1

W-409: Is the '62 that tough of a ticket to build? What are the differences that would be required to backdate a '63 R2 Stawag or a '64 Moby? 

Full transparency, I'm not a Chevy freak on the topic, looking for advice on this one. 

The trickiest parts would probably be the grill and some of the exterior emblems, especially the hood and trunk emblems as they are completely different on a '62. Some smaller differences are also in the interior, for example a gauge cluster and door panels, but those could probably be modified from existing kit parts with some extra work. 

The grill would be tricky to scratchbuild. Sure, someone can do it and actually I might try it in the future, too (because I have 1:1 scale '62 Chevy II in the garage), but I'd say it's too much work for most modelers.  Nowadays 3D printing would be one option to create that part, but it would require someone with the skills of creating the part on computer AND a good quality 3D printer where the finsihed parts have zero "3D print texture" (because it would be nearly impossible to sand smooth between the grill bars).

The chrome emblems on the body could be created by photo etching, but at least I don't have the computer skills to create the "master".:P

And, as Moebius has done several race car versions of their kits, the '62 tooling would have potential for that as well. Don Nicholson won B/FX class in NHRA Winternationals 1962 with this '62 Chevy II Wagon, powered by a Fuel Injected 327 out of a Corvette.

spacer.png

• Like 1

On 6/6/2024 at 3:35 PM, W-409 said:

The trickiest parts would probably be the grill and some of the exterior emblems, especially the hood and trunk emblems as they are completely different on a '62. Some smaller differences are also in the interior, for example a gauge cluster and door panels, but those could probably be modified from existing kit parts with some extra work. 

The grill would be tricky to scratchbuild. Sure, someone can do it and actually I might try it in the future, too (because I have 1:1 scale '62 Chevy II in the garage), but I'd say it's too much work for most modelers.  Nowadays 3D printing would be one option to create that part, but it would require someone with the skills of creating the part on computer AND a good quality 3D printer where the finsihed parts have zero "3D print texture" (because it would be nearly impossible to sand smooth between the grill bars).

The chrome emblems on the body could be created by photo etching, but at least I don't have the computer skills to create the "master".:P

And, as Moebius has done several race car versions of their kits, the '62 tooling would have potential for that as well. Don Nicholson won B/FX class in NHRA Winternationals 1962 with this '62 Chevy II Wagon, powered by a Fuel Injected 327 out of a Corvette.

spacer.png

I have that project under way. I don't know what color the interior trim is. Is it Red? Blue?