Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best match for 1963 Ford Viking Blue Poly

I'm trying to replicate a memory from my youth. I recently bought the AMT '63 Ford Galaxie 500 XL kit. I would like to use MCW Finishes Viking Blue Metallic 6233, but availability in Canada is an issue. A model building friend suggested that Tamiya TS-58 Pearl Light Blue might be a good substitute. I also had a can of Dupli-Color Medium Blue Metallic. The picture attached shows each colour sprayed over plastic spoons that had Tamiya Fine White Primer. Which would you choose?

Two Paints.jpg

Posted (edited)

To my eyes the Duplicolor looks closer. Maybe try that paint on spoons over gray and black primers to see how close?

IMG_2001.jpeg

Edited by Keef
  • Like 1

I'm trying to replicate a memory from my youth. I recently bought the AMT '63 Ford Galaxie 500 XL kit. I would like to use MCW Finishes Viking Blue Metallic 6233, but availability in Canada is an issue. A model building friend suggested that Tamiya TS-58 Pearl Light Blue might be a good substitute. I also had a can of Dupli-Color Medium Blue Metallic. The picture attached shows each colour sprayed over plastic spoons that had Tamiya Fine White Primer. Which would you choose?

Two Paints.jpg

On 5/25/2024 at 12:37 PM, Keef said:

To my eyes the Duplicolor looks closer. Maybe try that paint on spoons over gray and black primers to see how close?

16 hours ago, mr moto said:

The Dupli is definitely the better choice especially because Viking Blue isn't a pearl finish.

I tested the two paints on some spoons over Tamiya White Primer. Since Poly indicates Metallic, and it seems the overall consensus is to go with the Dupli-Color, that is how I will proceed.

Mods, can you merge this with my topic in Q & As. Thanks

I ran into the same problem years ago when I painted the Cobra Transporter. I check the spray can for a matching color. Even play with different primers. A the end I went with Scalefinishes, they have the perfect match for a Viking Blue. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Brizio said:

I ran into the same problem years ago when I painted the Cobra Transporter. I check the spray can for a matching color. Even play with different primers. A the end I went with Scalefinishes, they have the perfect match for a Viking Blue. 

I went to the ScaleFinishes website and looked under 1963 Ford colours. I did not see Viking Blue listed. On the other hand, MCW did have it listed. However, neither of these paints is available in Canada. :(

On 5/26/2024 at 12:40 PM, TarheelRick said:

image.png.5c995427f1c9a805945c00960087a5a5.png

Oh, I want this one, she is a beaut.

Amazon Prime has it for $30 with free shipping. The 63 Galaxy is just about my favorite Ford of the 1960's decade.

I saw a Nascar short track race when I was about 15, so 1965. There was a 63 Ford there with 406 engine mopping up and lapping the field. Been hooked on the 63 ever since. Not only did he mop up but the car was so sure sounding and handling, it sounded like it had power to spare actually. But we also had some nice Galaxys around town with chrome wheels and stuff. My favorite color on them at that time was the burgundy.

We had a hot 63 white Fairlane in town too.

Do you have any auto parts stores near you that mix paint?

PPG MAE single stage acrylic enamel is pretty easy to work with, I've mixed probably a thousand gallons of it at work.  We do the little touch up bottles as well, 2oz goes for $9.99 over the counter.

The recommended 1:1 reduction seems to go pretty slick through the airbrush, although it does take a while to really dry up solid - about 24 hours at room temp to handle, but I leave it about a week before hard fitting, decals, trim, etc.

• Like 1