Model Cars Magazine Forum

'65 Chevy Impala Wagon

Randy Kern

I combined my love of station wagons, street machines and my first car, a '65 Impala SS. This is a Modelhaus resin kit, using parts from the Monogram '65 Chevy Impala SS. I shaved the door handles and badges, and used a Drag City Castings 427 'Vette style hood. The paint is Dupli-Color Toreador Red with Silver Marblehead. I am planning on using the silver for the interior, also. I just pulled the body and hood out of the dehydrator for the outside shots, and have to polish and foil later. Wheels & tires are from the Revell Boss 429 kit.

IMG_2222-1.jpg

IMG_2216.jpg

IMG_2228-1.jpg

IMG_2233.jpg

IMG_2232.jpg

IMG_2229-1.jpg

Sorry Mr. Hamilton, but I can't do a factory stock '65 Chevy :lol:

That'll be a COOL ride when it's done! My Uncle Jessie had a 66 427/Turbo 400 wagon for pullin a boat.I never thought much about it,till one day ,my cousin Jess took me for a ride in it.MAN did THAT wake me up to the power of a 427! Than thing flat out flew for bein a BIG ol boat! :lol::D

Bill, I'm pretty sure I got those surf boards from a vendor at our Sept. Show, and I'm thinking they came with the Garbage Truck show rod. I also have the set Norm sells, from the Mod Squad kit, but they were quite a bit longer, as I just want these to stick out the rear window a little. Oh yeah, I haven't decided if I want to go with the 409, which would be fine, or a 427.

That's awesome. My first car was a 65 Belair wagon with a 283, Powerglide, manual drum brakes and steering, dog dish hubcaps, houndstooth interior and painted the most gawdawful shade of metallic brown. I had a blast in it, but I always wanted it to look a lot more like yours.

I'll be watching, too. Nice build so far.

Jim Edwards

oh randy. you hit a sweet spot. i love wagons. specially full size ones. :D they make perfect, practical street monsters. they can be made to haul and haul. ;)

great color combo and wheel choice ( i would recommend cast grey centers). that baby is going to look schweeeet.

i would go with the 409 ( last year for it ). can you say Z-11. oh yeah.

That Modelhaus resin looks really clean. Are you happy with it? Would you recommend their resin over others?

My two favorite resin casters are Rep.&Min. Co of Md., and Modelhaus Resin. That wagon body (and interior) had absolutely NO pinholes in it! Also, the prep for paint was simply washing it with dish soap. I did another company's resin body a while ago that had pinholes all over it. I got this kit at last year's NNL East, where they were a vendor, at a good price, saving shipping, also.

Dale and Mike, I think you're right, I'm going with the 409! :lol:

Darn it Randy, you always do this to me, I am serious here, now I really want to do a station wagon!!!! I hope it doesn't come out better than your Nova which you know I am totally head over heals for (talk about love at first sight) :lol: I might just be checking out this wagon with Modelhaus, if it has an inviting price it will be part of my collection soon!!!! I will be checking this build very closely, hope you are at the bench right now trying to finish it.... :P

that is very bitchin' (can you say that here?) and i would like to do something similar with a 62 chevy wagon, and in it definately go for the 409!

this one though i think i would lean toward the 427, isnt that sort of what the hoods a match to?

american 5 spoke mags?

What do you mean Factory Stock????

2008_02162008mamafebmeeting0050.jpg

2008_02162008mamafebmeeting0049.jpg

2005_11291965ImpalaWagon0006.jpg

I started to do it Factory Stock, but I just had to change it up ever so slightly. I do like pin whites and Dayton Wires, trick paint (Metallic Orange Lacquer wiith a blue to orange flip flop). Ok it has a Factory Stock body with no mods. 396/325 V8 with a Turbo 400 Trans, and a Sport Steering Wheel. I love yours too, Nick.