Model Cars Magazine Forum

Car related movies

Funny Car Summer-1974

"Acclaimed photographer Ron Phillips spends a summer with "funny car" racer Jim Dunn and his family as the Orange County, Calif.-based firefighter competes in drag races throughout the Southwest, racing his impressive, custom-built hot rods. Fast-paced and beautifully shot, the film is not only entertaining for its subject matter, but it also vividly captures the vibe of Southern California in the early 1970s."

Starring: Jim Dunn

Director: Ron Phillips

Great movie. I saw it when it came out.

You have to include 'The Hollywood Knights' in the list. Lots of laughs with a bunch of cool cars including Newbomb Turk's '56 Chevy Panel 'Pie wagon', the Project 'X' '57 Chevy, a Cobra, '65 GTO and El Camino, and more. Voooooolare'!!!! :)B):lol:

This has to be the funniest car movie ever!!!!!!!!!!

"Where's your El Camino where's your El Camino"

CLARK CLARK!!!!

Mrs. Freedman!!!!

Repo Man

Thunder Road

Mother, Jugs and Speed

Dirty Larry and Crazy Mary

Return to Macon County

The Car

What's Up Doc has a great car chase, as dose Foul Play.

There was a movie with Tony Curtis I think called 'Johnny Dark' from '54 about a sports car driver. It had a T bird that was called something else and an odd sportscar that was called a Thunderbird. Made me think the Ford factory was playing games with marketing at the time.

edit: is this a remake of the original? i dont have sound on the computer im using right now but it doesnt look right. seems like maybe this is a remake from 2004?

if it is and youve not seen the original, i encourage you to seek out the dvd (doesnt seem to be on youtube) as this film will really blow your mind.

i sort of assume most have seen this though; i first did back in the 80s if i remember right. it was an underground classic.

end edit

then theres always this chestnut:

paris in the morning

The film shows an eight-minute drive through Paris in the early hours of the morning (05:30hrs), accompanied by sounds of a high-reving engine, gear changes and squealing tires. It starts in a tunnel of the Paris Périphérique at Porte Dauphine, with an onboard view from an unseen car exiting up on a ramp to Avenue Foch. Well-known landmarks such as the Arc de Triomphe, Opéra Garnier, and Place de la Concorde with its obelisk are passed, as well as the Champs-Élysées. Pedestrians are passed, pigeons sitting on the streets are scattered, red lights are ignored, one-way streets are driven up the wrong way, centre lines are crossed, the car runs on a pavement to avoid a refuse lorry. The car is never seen as the camera seems to be attached below the front bumper, judging from the relative positions of other cars, the visible headlight beam and the final shot when the car is parked in front of kerbstones on Montmartre, with the famous Cathedral Sacré Cœur behind, and out of shot. Here, the driver gets out and embraces a young blonde woman as bells ring in the background, with the famous backdrop of Paris.

[edit] Production

Shot in a single take, it is an example of cinéma-vérité. The length of the film was limited by the short capacity of the reel, and filmed from a gyro-stabilised camera mounted on the bumper of a Mercedes-Benz 450SEL 6.9.[2] This model, which could reach a top speed of 235 km/h (146 mph), was only available with a 3-speed automatic transmission. Yet, one can hear gear changes up into 5th, as well as heel-and-toe down-shifting with a high-revving engine indicating speeds of well over 200 km/h. Calculations made by several independent groups showed that the car never exceeded 140 km/h (85 mph)[3], while another[4] estimated that the car had peaked at 220 km/h (136.7 mph). Lelouch himself claimed that the top speed achieved was over 200 km/h, somewhere between 230 km/h and 240 km/h.[5]It is suggested that the sound was dubbed with the noise of Lelouch's 275GTB, which has a corresponding number of gears and a similar engine note.

A making-of-the-rendezvous documentary indicates that Lelouch himself was the driver, that the car driven was the Mercedes, although the sound track is from a Ferrari. One observer was posted close to the Louvre palace at a blind junction (archway) to assist the driver.[6]

Due to the increasing demand and the limited distribution of original tapes,[citation needed] the film has recently been re-mastered from the 35 mm negative and released on DVD.[7]

In 2007 part of the movie was used for Snow Patrol's Open Your Eyes music video.

[edit] Route

The route was as follows: Bd Périphérique (exits at Porte Dauphine) · Av Foch · Pl Charles-de-Gaulle · Av des Champs-Elysées · Pl de la Concorde · Quai des Tuileries · Pl du Carrousel · R de Rohan · Av de l'Opera · Pl de l'Opéra · Fromental Halévy · R de la Chausée d'Antin · Pl d'Estienne d'Orves · R Blanche · R Pigalle · Pl Pigalle · Bd de Clichy · (aborted turn at R Lepic) · R Caulaincourt · Av Junot · Pl Marcel Aymé · R Norvins · Pl du Tertre · R Ste-Eleuthère · R Azais · Pl du Parvis du Sacré Cœur. [8]

[edit] Criticism

Comments attributed to Lelouch indicate that he acknowledges the moral outrage over his method of shooting this film as valid. He also states that he was prepared to take the risks in making the film, but that he however was also ready to drop it if he came across any unexpected risk (pedestrian, hurdle, etc.).

[edit] References

^ C'etait un Rendez-vous

^ Gyro-stabilized camera on Mercedes

^ IMDB entry

^ Belgrave, et al. (2005). "Speed of a Car: C'était un rendez-vous". The Physics Factbook. http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2005/Rendezvous.shtml.

^ Speed of a Car: C'était un Rendezvous

^ Most Radical Car Movie of All Time

^ C'etait un Rendez-vous - DVD Info

^ Route during the "Rendez-vous" movie

[edit] External links

Spirit Level Film

Original producers website

DVD site

C'était un rendez-vous at the Internet Movie Database

Edited by jbwelda

Guest Mustang3.8

We also forgot to mention National Lampoon's Vacation. B) That Wagon Queen Family Truckster always cracks me up! It reminds me of our old wagon. :lol:

French short film.

Sorry I dont know the title but it concerned a little garage in the south of France and the pasing trade. From big n brash Cadillacs playing jazz, to the old guy asleep on his horse drawn cart.

No dialogue but not from the silent era. Any Ideas?

Thans, John

Richard: Check here for The Lively Set on DVD :D

http://iluvthatmovie.com/shop/product_info...CFQJN5QodNkT4og

Fernando

Thank You Fernando. I have been trying to find this for a long time in any form. My wife had to come into the room to see why I was making strange laughing and giggling sounds. :lol::lol: Whoopie! P.S. Two more good racing movies are Winning with Paul Newman and The Racers with Kirk Douglas. Richard