Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2/AMT One year on

It's probably about a year into the Round 2 licensing deal for the AMT/MPC/Polar Lights catalog right about now and so it's probably time to think about how it's going. For starters, here's a list of vehicle model kits that have been released and those that are planned through the end of 2009. This is from the new round2models.com ( http://www.round2models.com/ ) web site which appears to be a key part of Round 2's marketing efforts with respect to the model kit part of their business.

The AMT 1955 Chevy Cameo and the MPC 1967 Pontiac GTO are tagged as Avalable Now since they are listed as avaliable in Round 2's on-line store, but they were scheduled as July releases so tjey may not be in stores yet.

1949 Ford Coupe - AMT - 2008 Release

1951 Chevy Bel Air Convertible - AMT - 2008 Release

1960 Ford Starliner - AMT - 2008 Release

Chevy Titan 90â„¢ Truck Tractor - AMT - 2008 Release

Digger 'Cuda Dragster - AMT - 2008 Release

Hippie Hemi Dragster - AMT - 2008 Release

Li'l 'Stogie - AMT - 2008 Release

Class Action 1980 Chevy Monte Carlo - MPC - 2008 Release

Rupp Super Sno-Sport Snow Dragster - MPC - 2008 Release

Speed Racer Mach 5 Glue Kit - Polar Lights - 2008 Release

Speed Racer Mach 5 Snap Kit - Polar Lights - 2008 Release

1955 Chevy Cameo - AMT - Available Now

2006 Chevy Camaro Concept - AMT - Available Now

2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 - AMT - Available Now

2009 Dodge Challenger R/T - AMT - Available Now

USA-1 Monster Truck - AMT - Available Now

1967 Pontiac GTO - MPC - Available Now

1969 Dodge Daytona - MPC - Available Now

1969 Dodge Charger General Lee - MPC - Available Now

1970 Dodge Coronet Super Bee - MPC - Available Now

Paddy Wagon Willys Panel Van Super Snap - MPC - Available Now

Super Snap 1949 Mercury Police Patrol Car - MPC - Available Now

1933 Willys Coupe - AMT - August-09

1955 Chevy Nomad - AMT - August-09

1957 Chevy Bel Air - AMT - August-09

1962 Buick Electra 225â„¢ - AMT - August-09

1966 Chevy Nova Pro Street - AMT - August-09

1968 Shelby GT 500 - AMT - August-09

1970½ Chevy Camaro Z28 - AMT - August-09

Fruehauf Flatbed Trailer - AMT - August-09

Royal Rail - AMT - August-09

White Freightliner Dual Drive Cabover Tractor - AMT - August-09

1972 Pontiac GTO - MPC - August-09

1986 Chevy El Camino - MPC - August-09

1962 Pontiac Catalina 421SD - AMT - September-09

Scooby Doo! Mystery Machine - Polar Lights - September-09

Double Dragster - AMT - October-09

Peerless Logging Trailer - AMT - October-09

1925 Ford "T" - AMT - November-09

International Transtar 4300 Eagle2008 Models - AMT - November-09

Tommy Ivo Front Engine Dragster - AMT - November-09

Daisy's Plymouth Muscle Car - MPC - November-09

Sheriff Rosco's Dodge Monaco Police Car - MPC - November-09

Depth Charger - AMT - December-09

Munster Koach/Drag-U-La Set - AMT - December-09

Two things should be quite evident. Firstly, they have been very busy and plan to stay that way. Whereas in ’08 we may have felt they were off to a slow start they are up and running now. Secondly, so far, other than the ‘08-‘09 Dodge Challengers and the ‘06 Camaro Concept they are dealing entirely with older re-issues. The range is very broad. I haven’t included the large number of Star Trek releases that they have also put out, but even among vehicles they have everything from TV themes and show cars to classic muscle cars, hot rods and drag cars and both pickups and heavy trucks and trailers. In absolute number of releases I’m guessing that they are comparable to Revell over the same period. But so far we have no significant brand new creations on offer or even anticipated.

The reception of their releases would appear to be pretty good. Certainly some of the early releases like the ‘60 Ford Starliner and ‘49 Ford Shoebox have gotten a lot of notice here on the MCM board and among us we have posted quite a few builds of these kits. I suspect the Tommy Ivo FED, the Double Dragster Kit and ’25 Ford T Double Kit will create a lot of buzz. I’m not much into muscle cars myself but from what I can tell Round 2 has been well received with their strong line up of re-releases of important cars in this area.

One thing that caught my eye is the very strong effort they are putting into the round2models.com website. It really is first rate. Not only do they list current and upcoming kits (frequently refreshed an updated with changes) but they have instituted an excellent blog (http://www.collectormodel.com/ ) ModelKit Central that has really hit the ground running with terrific insights into the day-to-day realities of growing the value of the AMT licensing franchise. These guys are serious about it, totally into it, and working hard to get it done. It’s not about vehicles but this post about a planned AMT Dr. Spock release (http://www.collectormodel.com/amt/54-sci-fi-kit-supplemental-ufo-mystery-ship-and-amt-mr-spock/ ), including some great shots of how the molds have been modified (butchered?) over the years and what they plan to do to restore them, is typical of what they are doing here.

spock-mold-4.jpg

So far the sci-fi guys dominate the blog. I for one plan to join the blog and do what I can to let them know the vehicle guys appreciate them and are watching what they do.

Also on the web site is a Workbench section which is a Tips and Tricks area full of great stuff on how to improve and expand your builds based on their offerings. Here’s a link to an item called “Detail Painting The 2008 And 2009 Dodge Challengers†(http://www.round2models.com/workbench/challenger-paint ) which is typical. Here are some illustrations from this how-to which gives you an idea of the quality what they’re putting outâ€

fig-04.jpg

fig-05.jpg

fig-06.jpg

Again, so far the sci-fi guys dominate so we’d better get cracking and let them know we care.

My overall impression is that I would give Round 2 very high marks both for the strategy they are employing to get the most they can as quickly as they can out of their license, and the commitment they are showing to the hobby side of the model kit business (as opposed to the toy sales side). They aren’t neglecting the mass appeal side either. Many of their 2009 releases are in colored plastic – not a good thing for the serious modeler, but ensuring broader sales overall. But they clearly show the same commitment to and enthusiasm for the hobby as we do. Now it’s up to us to ensure the success of their effort by not only buying product from them, but by communicating with them about our needs and of our impressions of their work so far.

Botom line – 2 thumbs up to Round 2 so far - from me anyway!

Edited by gbk1

Ah, yes, isn't it great to see the AMT (AND MPC!) lines back on track... and with a company that actually supports them?!

I'm pretty impressed asbout how serious they are to get the maximum out of their licensing. My only concern is that the vehicle side, so far, while it has gotten the bulk of the model releases, doesn't appear to be the source of as much excitement within their own ranks as the whole sci-fi side. But I guess I'm just sharing the general paranoia that we car modelers seem to have about the state of our hobby...

Here's an interchange between Bob Plant (no not that Bob Plant!) at Round 2 and myself. Bob is Creative Director at Round 2 and seems to oversee the whole model effort. He runs the blog as well. His response to my comment .revealing on a couple of counts. The "John" referred to is John Greczula - Art Director and Brand Manager for the automotive segment. If I recall correctly John posted here last year when Round 2 first announced its license deal. The team at Round 2 in charge of all their model lines is maybe 11-12 people so they are very busy! Secondly, as I suspected, the sci-fi folks are, so far, doing the bulk of the on line outreach. Taking into account the very aggressive automotive release schedule for the rest of this year I can see that the lone car guy on their team might not be able to get to participate much in their communications work. My guess is that we would do well to let them know how we think they're doing and keep the car thing more "top of mind" inside their small and hard working group.

gbkron says:

June 28, 2009 at 3:06 pm

I’m not sure where to put this comment so this topic, being about some of your creative team seemed to be the best place. I’m a car modeler and of course have been following the Round2/AMT licensing deal with great interest. This new blog is terrific and, along with your new web site, are very strong marketing tools if they are promoted effectively. Below is a link to a post I just put up on the MCM board that gives my impressions of Round2/AMT One Year On. The very best of luck to you all going forward!

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.p...t=0#entry188980

BobP says:

June 29, 2009 at 8:25 pm

Thanks very much for the kind words — we appreciate you taking the time to post your thoughts on Round 2 Models at modelcarsmag.com forum.

We do take model kits very seriously around here, and have folks working on the lines that have an affection for the hobby that goes way back. I am more of a sci-fi kit guy myself, as is Jamie, who has done the majority of the posting here. Our automotive kits are obviously a big aspect of the line, too, and I’ll see what I can do to encourage John to do some posting here. John is absolutely swamped with the automotive lines, but I know he would love to share some insight into the world of AMT and MPC vehicle kits, it’s just a matter of being able to carve out the time.

Again, thanks for the nice words and very much appreciate you supporting our product.

Bob

I've talked to John Greczula, and asked about the General Lee , and the '73 Road Runner re-release, and I was assured that the General will have the correct body, and the Road Runner will have the correct dash, and decals (time to break out the credit card.... BIG TIME :D ).

They are very adamant about putting out a great kit, and they are second to none about fixing a problem a modeler has with their product. I bought a kit that had a very warped chrome tree, and John resolved the problem so quickly, I thought I dreamed it! :rolleyes:

I give them an A+ for the work they are doing to make AMT/MPC a name worth buying!

I think that on the whole Round2 is doing a great job, but I also have to utter a slight complaint about the molding their kits in color, but I guess that this is a needed concession to those that would only buy a model to put together strictly out of the box without any extra painting at all. I also would like to put in my wishes that they could do more kits like the Starliner, they missed the boat on the '55 Cameo, as this "series" has all of the pieces available to make a great 2 in 1 kit. While I'm at it, since they are digging out all of the great old molds, why not give us a re-release of the original Ala Kart/'29 model A Roadster kit?

Edited by horsepower

The original Ala Kart/29 Ford kit had some of it's Ala Kart tooling modified prior to the 1973 "Street Rods" series reissue. I don't know if the tooling can be restored back to the orginal configuration, but it hasn't been in almost forty years & AMT issued a new tool of the Ala Kart a few years ago, making me think the original can't be converted back.

The new tool Ala Kart has some accuracy issues, but it does have better detail than the original & it can be kitbashed with the last reissue of the 29 Ford, (which contained more of the original tool Ala Kart parts than had been seen in years), for a really first class Ala Kart.

:(

I didn't realize that the latest release of the '29 had "missing" Ala Kart pieces, but the one thing I did notice was that the parts for the early "banger" hop ups are no longer in the kit, & I have forgot what kit was last produced that did have all of the hop up parts still in it. How about it history buffs what issue still had the four banger trick pieces? Thanks in advance, Del.

I agree with you Chuck about what tooling is lurking deep down in the vaults.

If Round 2 can resurrect kits such as the old MPC 68' or 69' Dodge Coronet R/T or the 67' and 68" Pontiac Grand Prix kits there will

definetly be a buying frenzy by us model car builders . This in turn will allow Round 2 to see that producing those Holy grail kits will justify to fix old tooling and get more varieties of kits to production.

The most important thing, in this writer's opinion, about Round2/AMT/MPC/Polar Lights, is that these guys are taking it seriously and marketing their products with the modeler in mind. Quality of product and presentation are paramount with Round2, and IMHO all of their releases so far demonstrate that admirably.

I've seen some criticism on this board and other places of the latest batch of AMT/MPC reissues molded in color. Though I personally am not fond of this practice, it is something that mass merchandisers of all stripes seem to like and seem to believe that is a sales point to the younger audience. That said, if it helps to get model kits back onto people's hit parade, then it's certainly fine by me. We serious modelers can certainly get around the "molded in color" thing. And let's also not forget that the Japanese kitmakers STILL mold in color - multiple colors in many cases - and we certainly seem to not let THAT stop us. However, the AMT "niche" reissues, such as the Double Dragster and 25 T double kit, will still be molded in white as far as I know.

I for one personally love the new box art on many of the reissued kits, especially the "new retro" style used on the '60 Starliner and the forthcoming '62 Buick. Talk about a trip in the wayback machine - that has "classic AMT" written all over it - the only thing missing from the presentation is the on-almost-every-box-back-then pitch for the much-missed AMT custom lacquer paints, long out of production of course. (I am showing my age, aren't I....) Though most of us I know are not into science fiction, the new box art on Round2's Star Trek kits is nothing short of fantastic and IMHO, take away the text on the paintings and they qualify as frameable art.

Tom Lowe and John Greczula are doing a magnificent job restoring AMT and MPC to their rightful glory and resurrecting Polar Lights to the joy of sci-fi modelers. To quote Mr. Spock from the new Star Trek movie, "Thrusters on full..."

• 2 weeks later...

The kits I have bought so far have impressed me.Ilike the extras they have added like the line drawings and the stickers along with the miniature box kits.While I don't want to sound cheap I am most impressed with their pricing.I very seldom look at a Revell kit I just can't see the value in their kits.There is alot of stuff coming from Round 2 that I will buy.

I'm really impressed with the reviews everyone is giving. I'm definitly going to get some of these kits, I am also disapionted that there molded in color but everything can't be perfect, right! ;) Before I would never buy an amt kit but now there on my to buy list, I've got to many projects going right now to get one!!! ;)

• 2 months later...
The most important thing, in this writer's opinion, about Round2/AMT/MPC/Polar Lights, is that these guys are taking it seriously and marketing their products with the modeler in mind. Quality of product and presentation are paramount with Round2, and IMHO all of their releases so far demonstrate that admirably.

I've seen some criticism on this board and other places of the latest batch of AMT/MPC reissues molded in color. Though I personally am not fond of this practice, it is something that mass merchandisers of all stripes seem to like and seem to believe that is a sales point to the younger audience. That said, if it helps to get model kits back onto people's hit parade, then it's certainly fine by me. We serious modelers can certainly get around the "molded in color" thing. And let's also not forget that the Japanese kitmakers STILL mold in color - multiple colors in many cases - and we certainly seem to not let THAT stop us. However, the AMT "niche" reissues, such as the Double Dragster and 25 T double kit, will still be molded in white as far as I know.

I for one personally love the new box art on many of the reissued kits, especially the "new retro" style used on the '60 Starliner and the forthcoming '62 Buick. Talk about a trip in the wayback machine - that has "classic AMT" written all over it - the only thing missing from the presentation is the on-almost-every-box-back-then pitch for the much-missed AMT custom lacquer paints, long out of production of course. (I am showing my age, aren't I....) Though most of us I know are not into science fiction, the new box art on Round2's Star Trek kits is nothing short of fantastic and IMHO, take away the text on the paintings and they qualify as frameable art.

Tom Lowe and John Greczula are doing a magnificent job restoring AMT and MPC to their rightful glory and resurrecting Polar Lights to the joy of sci-fi modelers. To quote Mr. Spock from the new Star Trek movie, "Thrusters on full..."

I'm with Larry on this as far as the mass market kits go. If the sales from these kits pay for new kits and restoring old tooling then I'm all for it. All these molded in color kits are very common, most are available on the secondary markets for less then the new versions. Also, I have the newly reissued 62 Buick kit and it's very nice, equal to the original issue if not better IMHO.

I'm looking forward to their announcements at I-Hobby Expo later this month, I'm hoping for some pleasant surprises.

-Steve

I'm looking forward to their announcements at I-Hobby Expo later this month, I'm hoping for some pleasant surprises.

-Steve

Me too, I haven't picked up too many of these releases but that is because most of what I was interested were late on the list and only now, or (hopefully) soon to arrive. The IH 4300 semi, FL DD semi, flatbed trailer and Model T being the ones I'm really looking forward to.

I really hope they announce more trucks. The IH S series trucks and the '77 Ford truck Model King released a few years ago would be nice. The IH trucks have been gone for years and the Ford has been hard to find for at least a year or two, I just saw one go for $43 on ebay the other day, it was the first I'd seen in a few months.