Model Cars Magazine Forum

1949 Mercury

MrObsessive

Bill,

Sorry to hear about the tendon injury. I wish you luck with your recovery.

I have one quick question to ask you sir- Do you wet the chamois before rubbing off the wax?

Thanks again for a great and informative tutoral!!

oldboychas (Charlie Bower)

No, you can use the chamois as is. One nice thing about chamois------ when it gets too dirty over a period of time, you can throw it in the washer with the rest of the laundry.

Now when it dries, it will be stiff as a board! ;) But you can take the chamois by both ends, rub it back and forth across the edge of a table, and the softness will come back. Not as soft as when you first got it, but soft just the same.

I've got cloths that I know I've had for over a year, that are still going strong...........they can last for quite a while! :lol:

I hope the torn tendon and your new "obsession" have no connection whatsoever... ;)

No, I'm afraid not. :( Seems as though she wants to be an island unto herself. Believe it or not, I haven't spoken to her in almost two weeks. Others who know her have tried to call, but she doesn't return their calls either.

I'm too old to play games so if that's how it'll be then I can't be bothered.

I guess that's how it goes.................

No, I'm afraid not. :P Seems as though she wants to be an island unto herself. Believe it or not, I haven't spoken to her in almost two weeks. Others who know her have tried to call, but she doesn't return their calls either.

I'm too old to play games so if that's how it'll be then I can't be bothered.

I guess that's how it goes.................

Bill, I feel you completely! I just spent a few weeks with a new lady friend- Had quite a lot of fun going out on dates. And then she just drops off the face of the Earth and won't even give me respect enough to give me a reason. So much for her saying she's "open" and "honest" and likes to be "adult" about things... It IS, my friend, how it goes. Women... ;)

Bill, I love the tutorial. I appreciate all the time and effort you are putting into this for the good of everyone else. I hope to see more soon.

Bill, thanks for sharing your vast knowledge with us- I've found a ton of stuff I'm going to be trying on the Predictor, such as the Tenax to reduce ghosting (even though it's mostly overlays at this point, I'll try it on the cowl area where I removed the wipers). Usually, I'd use the 'Gustavson Method', where you grind below the surface of the plastic and fill it with Bondo. As for the tendon, I hope it heals quickly.

Good evening Bill,

Another nubie question for you, if you don't mind sir. Where do you get the predrilled distributors that you use?

I am learning so much, so fast that my learning curve is turning into a spiral......And I am loving it !!

Thanks again for sharing.

Charlie Bower

Charlie, I get them from Norm Veber of Replicas and Miniatures. Here's a pic of the package with his address on it. Norm doesn't have a website so you'll have to drop him a line................

P9273317-vi.jpg

Norm does have email so you can contact him through there............

replmincomd@aol.com

HTH! ;)

Hope your tendon is healing. Thank you for the tutorials you've been doing. I never would have thought to use Future as a sealer. The woman part - bummer. I had a wife for 17 years. Came home from work one day and she was gone with most of the furniture - and my dog. The only thing she left was a pile of bills. I was able to get my dog back a few days later. Only saw her at the divorce proceedings and she wouldn't talk to me. That's been about 15 years now and I've gotten over it, moved on, and am a better persson for it. Take care of yourself.

Just thought I'd chime in to second the opinion that you ought to write a book. I haven't been much of a fan of modeling books in the past but your way of presenting things makes the subject very understandable. Of course, nothing more needs to be said about your skills and techniques - every modeler would love to learn that.

I believe I'm asking (once again) kinda stupid question, but I hope You are able to answer me...

That Future-stuff, seems to be very useful stuff. Now, I do not live in US (unfortunately) so I'm wondering what that stuff is, some kind of floor wax for plastic floors or what..?

I tried to seek on local stores for many kind of waxes, didn't pin out any those could have been good for this kind of activities... Some hard wax perhaps?

Hope You get better soon.

I believe I'm asking (once again) kinda stupid question, but I hope You are able to answer me...

That Future-stuff, seems to be very useful stuff. Now, I do not live in US (unfortunately) so I'm wondering what that stuff is, some kind of floor wax for plastic floors or what..?

I tried to seek on local stores for many kind of waxes, didn't pin out any those could have been good for this kind of activities... Some hard wax perhaps?

Hope You get better soon.

I am not sure if this will help you or not? I picked this up here on the forum somewheres and found it very usefull. I wish I could give credit, but I archived it and cant remember. I have followed it and have done my first body. Waiting for decals now so I can finish it. This write up gives the names of this stuff in other countries so I hope you can find what you are looking for! Thanks. Jody

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

Bill, I have seen this thread over and over and have to admit, I may not be that good, but I dont need 101 lessons. Well tonight I could not sleep and decided to read it. Some good stuff there!! I never knew the glue trick on the body to help eleviate the ghosting. Thank you very much! Now Ill be one more step closer to being OK. LOL. I hear you on the leg. Early this spring I tore one in my arm. I no sooner recovered from that and I ended up[ with what they originally thought was bursitus in the shoulder, wich has now turned out to be spine problems and I need to go talk about surgury. I have now even fallen with what they call swine flu, if that is indeed what it is instead of normal sickness? LOL. So modeling is nill to none right now! I sure hope you heal and get better. Hopefully yours gets closer to 100% then mine did! No more speed balls for me!! Jody

I am not sure if this will help you or not? I picked this up here on the forum somewheres and found it very usefull. I wish I could give credit, but I archived it and cant remember. I have followed it and have done my first body. Waiting for decals now so I can finish it. This write up gives the names of this stuff in other countries so I hope you can find what you are looking for! Thanks. Jody

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

Thanks a lot, I got a bunch of new info about this stuff, but I still can't locate the brand in Finnish market. I'll continue wondering...

Thanks a lot, I got a bunch of new info about this stuff, but I still can't locate the brand in Finnish market. I'll continue wondering...

Future is not wax, it's simply clear acrylic. They might not sell that brand in Finland, but there is probably a similar product sold there.

First, I want to thank you guys for all of the nice words and encouragement so far! :) This is going slower than I'd like due to some setbacks, but I'll plod along as this thread has quite a few hits now! :o

The body is all rubbed out and polished for the most part. Some spots around the edges of the hood and roof need touching up with the cloths and polish, but it's pretty much done.

Please pardon the dust as it rolled over on the board, and I didn't see it until after I loaded it on Fotki. :P

PB083512-vi.jpg

PB083513-vi.jpg

I want to move on now to getting good results from BMF. A number of times I've noticed trim when BMF is applied, has a wrinkly, craggy appearance to it. I can't stress enough how important it is to make sure the trim is FULLY RUBBED AND POLISHED OUT!

BMF will NOT hide the imperfections underneath! It will only MAGNIFY them if the prep work beforehand is not done.

Here I'm starting with the side trim on the Merc. I want a piece that's larger than the trim itself to go over the section.

PB083514-vi.jpg

Next, once the BMF is on, you want to burnish the foil down to where you can see perfectly the outline that's going to be trimmed. Once again I like to use the chamois cloth for this as it's perfect for this job IMO.

PB083515-vi.jpg

We can now see very well the trim under the foil.........

PB083516-vi.jpg

Next, and this is where a lot of complaints come in, you'll need a BRAND NEW SHARP Exacto blade to trim the foil away. Some folks blacken the edge with a black magic marker........I didn't do that here as I can see where the blade is going.

Also very important..............do NOT press hard on the surface! Let the weight of the knife do the work for you! Pressing too hard will lead to a slipped knife and put a gouge in your paint that you worked so hard to get.

Work slowly and carefully and you'll get the results you want.

I should add that doing this does require a steady hand however. That's something I can't teach folks to do..........one either has steady hands or they don't. It's no shame if you don't..........I just want to add that's a big help if one can have a steady hand when using Bare Metal Foil.

PB083517-vi.jpg

After the trim is cut with the blade, pull back on the excess slowly-----not too fast that it tears into the main piece you want to cover.

Pb083518-vi.jpg

And here we are! A nice trimmed piece that after it's covered with the foil, has been rubbed out with the chamois, and looking pretty. I'll work on getting the whole car done, and post it here when it's all finished.

PB083519-vi.jpg

Thanks for staying tuned in! :D

Edited by MrObsessive

Thanks for all this great info, Bill! This is a definite keeper as a reference.

BMF is a great product, and looks fantastic if it all gets put down snug. One thing I have used to help get the BMF to snug into tight spots is the eraser on a pencil. Just a normal, wooden, lead pencil eraser. It is soft enough to not harm the BMF, and firm enough to snug the BMF over small ridges, and into shallow grooves. I have also used a cotton swab to help burnish the BMF down over trim, and it also gives it a bit of a polish at the same time.

One thing to keep in mind is that BMF has a shelf life. If it isn't sticking well, perhaps the adhesive is too old. Keep BMF sheets out of sunlight, and store in a drawer, and in a large ziplock baggie to help extend it's life.

Hope this helps some!

Tony, I think (hope!) BMF Co. has cleaned up their act as the sheet I was using here I bought about six months ago and is still going strong. I know a while back there were a LOT of complaints about BMF not sticking well either right out of the package, or shortly after using it.

I can attest to that as I quit buying it after a while and was using another brand. Back about six months ago, I was in our LHS and he had BMF which had "new" stickers on the envelope. I had asked him if he had any complaints about BMF not working well and he said "No, I haven't heard anything!"

Don't you just love it when no one knows/hears anything?? 'Cuz I was hearing complaints all over the place about BMF not sticking at all or only in certain spots on the sheet.

Anyway, I have no complaints so far, and lets hope BMF keeps up their end of the bargain! I can remember though back in the early-mid '90's having sheets that were at least five years old, and were still sticking quite well.

Something changed along the way...........:D

Good tip about the eraser, I wouldn't have thought of that! I used to use cotton swabs for burnishing, but got tired of pulling the little strands out of the darnedest places when it came time to pull the excess off! B)

A nice chunk of balsa wood buffs BMF extremely well also...

The newer sheets are sticking better than the past ones, it still does not like to stick to itself...so overlappin window trim can be problematic.I just use one big sheet that covers the window area and save the center cut out for smaller applications

thanx Bill, great tutorial :lol: