Model Cars Magazine Forum

Header heat wrap

Jantrix

Guys last time my wife bandaging me up for something I spotted this medical tape and this idea popped to mind. I think this looks pretty good as header wrap. I laid the tape down on wax paper, sprayed it white Krylon primer. When dry I cut it into 1/4 inch strips and commenced a-wrappin'. The primer flakes off pretty easy so take your time and don't stretch the tape. I'm going to mix up an off white paint to go over it later and then a wash of brown I think. Opinions?

100_1746.jpg

100_1747.jpg

100_1748.jpg

Guys the white primer did stick to to it, however it did flake off as I was wrapping it. The first header I did, I stretched the tape too much an lost a lot of paint. The second one I did I took more care and got better results. However in hindsight it would have beeen easier to cut the unpainted tape into the strips, wrap that rascal, and then paint with an acrylic craft paint. I have since repainted them with a tan craft paint, because most of the pics I found on the web, header wrap that had been on a running motor for a while had darkened to a tan/brown color.

As well as the ideas Bill gave, I think this tape would also replicate rubber floor mats, the rubber cushions on gas/brake/clutch pedals, running board rubber strips and many other things if we wrap our brains around it. Great stuff.

Edited by Jantrix

Looks pretty good. I use the real stuff on our race cars. It comes in one and two inch wide rolls. Mine are a dark brownish tan. I don't use the straps to install mine. I use a dab of red high temp silicone adhesive and start wrapping one inch away from the mounting flange at the head and do each ind. pipe til you get to the bottom and can't get between the tubes. Then I start wrapping the lower section as one unit. Once it gets hot, it draws up really tight. Only way to get it off is to cut it off with a knife. Keeps the heat in so the expanding gasses will flow faster as well as lower under hood temps. You can even touch it to a certain point without getting burned too. IT's great stuff for the real world cars.

I have eyed several things that might could be used here. White gauze, or white medi tape, I have even wondered about dryer sheets? Need to make sure its not real fuzzy. But the real cloth wraps are that as far as I know, so would think would want to do about the same thing in scale. I also thought that the dryer sheets may be good for using as ait filter material and maybe even as chute pack covering? Jody

A couple things.

Marc - it is 1/24 or 1/25 scale. It's my junkyard rat build in the workbench section.

Dave - yep it is some sort of plastic - no fuzzies

Mike - the size issue might be because I cut it into 3mm strips which would be too big if the real thing comes in 1" or 2".

In any case. I'm real pleased with it. I should have completed engine pics with the headers mounted in my junkyard rat thread sometime tonight. I hope I helped.

Mike - the size issue might be because I cut it into 3mm strips which would be too big if the real thing comes in 1" or 2".

Still looks good to me. And it does come in 1" and 2" wide rolls in 25 and 50 ft. lengths. So, how wide should it be for 1/24 and 1/25 ??

Here's what we use. One roll of this will cover a 6 cly and it takes at least two rolls to do a small block. I have never used it on a big block, yet.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DEI-010102/

This 1" wide stuff is for 4 cyl cars.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DEI-010101/