Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Summary of 2010 Round 2 New Releases announced at iHobby

For a handy reference here are the 2010 AMT New Releases. Included is a composite image from their catalog pages showing the box art or illustrations for most, although not all, of the new releases.

AMT:

1949 Mercury Club Coupe

1961 Ford Galaxie 500 Styline Kit

1962 Pontiac Catalina

NASCAR COT:

#24 Jeff Gordon 2009 Chevy Monte Carlo Snap Kit

#24 Jeff Gordon 2009 Chevy Monte Carlo Glue Kit

#88 Dale Earnhardt Jr. 2009 Chevy Impala Snap Kit

#88 Dale Earnhardt Jr. 2009 Chevy Impala Glue Kit

Double Dragster in standard packaging

Munster Koach - original box with bonus figure

Dragula - original box with bonus figure

White Road Boss

Fruehauf Van Trailer

Ford C-900 Stake Bed

Myers Manx

Bugaboo

MPC:

Fire Truck

Fire Truck Special Edition - for Chuck Miller Builder of the Year - Detroit Autorama 2010

Zingers - all 8

Zingers - Special Edition - all 8 - molded in new Metallic Flake-O-Delicâ„¢ Plastic

Road Runner & Beep Beep 'T'

Wile E. Coyote & Wile E. Willys

Road Runner & Rail Rider

Polar lights:

Batmobile (1/25 scale) Snap Kit

Batmobile (1/25 scale) Glue Kit

Batmobile (1/32 scale)

Batmobile (1/32 scale) Collector Tin

Batboat (1/32 scale)

AMT-2010-List.jpg

And here’s a link to the Spotlight board for a discussion of these and other new releases announced so far at iHobby

http://wwwboard.spotlighthobbies.com/index.pl?read=1436054

Edited by gbk1

Guest promodmerc

I can not express how happy I am to see the Zingers back. Then there is to Double Dragster, Munsters Coach & Dragula, Meyers Manx and Modle-T . 2010 is going to be a great year :D

Edited by promodmerc

Well, Mark, I'm sure glad to see the listings! It means this great hobby is STILL alive. If I buy 'em or not it's a hoot to look at the boxes again and remember some of the dreams we (I) had as a kid when I couldn't afford all the models that caught my eye. Bring 'em on and let's get to building something just for the fun of it!

Joe

Little known fact: The Zinger dune buggy has an approximately 1/20 Boss 429 motor for those who may need one!!! :D Really!

I will be liking the Meyers Manx. It has an excellent VW motor and trans for use in Revell Dune Buggies which have a terrible VW motor as do their Beetles. I smell transplant! I will have to get a Bugaboo but that is for nostalgia. I built one as a youth. By the time it comes out though, I may change my mind.

I am still Jonesing for the Tommy Ivo FED and the Model T double kit. I already have enough double dragster parts and a Blueprinter of that and haven't built any of them!!!!! So many cool kits and precious little time!!! :lol:

Not including three of the six kits that were listed on Round2's website & in their pre-ordering & promotional info the LHS gets, I see one kit I probably will get, & three more I might get.

The six kits that were due out this year & got pushed back to 2010, (if we get them then), are:

1-62 Pontiac

2-Model T Double Kit

3-TV Tommy Ivo Dragster

4-Munster Koach

5-Dragula

6-Double Dragster

I see where the three kits of those six that are of interest to me, (Double Dragster, Model T, & TV Tommy Ivo), are actually listed as late 2009. We shall see. I'm not holding my breath, as it's been a year or more since they were first announced anyway.

Even though they hold no interest for me, I am glad to see the COT NASCAR racers. A lot of NASCAR builders have been wanting those & they should be good sellers.

Most of the rest of the serious models listed I already have multiples of. The Poncho, whille a nice kit, is one I've built three versions of & have two more stashed away, so I don't need that, & I have more 49 Mercurys than I know what to do with.

The Batmobile I'll buy one of. I might get one Meyers Manx, & maybe one White Road Boss, (or the International), & one Fruehauf trailer, if that, & that's it. Already got two Ford C-600 kits, so don't need another one of those either.

The MPC list is especially disappointing to me. When those caricature kits were out the first time in the 70s, I was a kid building then, (the prime age for those things), & I never had any interest in them, (I've never liked models that didn't reflect realism, even in customs), & some 30+ years later, they have even less interest to me. I can see the nostalgia factor in the "Zingers" for a lot of people & that's good & will hopefully create revenue for Round2, but I recall those Roadrunner & Wile E Coyote kits as being sales bombs & have neither read or heard of any interest in them or people clamoring for their return.

Oh well, besides the car kits from Moebius & Revell's 62 Impala, looks like I'll save a lot of money on models in 2010!! Maybe Tamiya will have something of interest, or the money saved can buy me a MFH kit or two, & there's always resin......

I have nothing against nostalgia, but that's basically all that collection is.

:rolleyes:

Sorry you are so disappointed with most everything that is coming out. Maybe they could have spent all that money it cost to refurbish old tooling on new tooling? Come on another 62 Chevy variant You can just make your own if you want it that much.

What a great list!!!! Especially AMT's!

No doubt I will be adding to my unbuilt stash this year. The Galaxie, AMT Double T, and Double Dragster are very emotional kits for me. If you can believe this, I purchased the first double T kit with the intent as a teenager to copy Norm Grabowski's T bucket from the TV series, "77 Sunset Strip". I still have one of the cars built from the many I built, in which I shortened the frame, and made it to a Bob T. I am sasding it down and repainting it, becasue somehow by accident that kit came out just right and survived the years of shelf display.

The other emotional kit is the 61 Galaxie Styline. I built 3 of them and none have survived. I sectioned them all, even sectioned that neat front styline headline/rolled pan, then opened up the hood, substitued frames, added a motor, opened up the doors, and voila, one of my all time favorite models. The first one I built was totally crushed on the living room floor when I laid down next to it and rolled and crushed it. The second one after finding one in a hobby portion of a surf/bike/hobby shop, I finished and entered with my collection in a county hobby show, which won grand prize, but all of my cars were stolen. The third one was inadvertently thrown out by my ex wife when she cleaned the garage. I plan to buy about 3 of them, to ensure at least one survives me.

Since I am also into building vintage dragsters, I plan on building both cars in the double dragster, almost right out of the box. That double engine feature is a stunner.

I also am hoping that this time AMT doesn't make the mistake in providing only one body for the T kit. The last time I was extremely disappointed to discover that there was no coupe body, either the chopped or full height versions. Either would be just fine this time. The chopped version would be perfect for a rat rod, or the tall T a very distinguished looking street rod. I would expect that since it looks like the original box art will be used, and the coupe is prominent on that box, it would follow that the coupe body would be there. I hope I hope.

As for the 49 Merc, it looks like a older reissue, so will the kit include an option for the new wheels and tires? In many ways I still have a couple of Revell 49 Mercs which beg for kitbashing, especially that MoPar motor.

Plus there are others in the mix like the 82 Pontiac and the Revell 62 Impala. Heck I still have a couple of AMT's to kitbash. I might even make a nostalgia SuperStock out of one, like Hayden Profitt's. Does anyone here remember Pat Covert's rendition of a 62 Impala called "Bubbles" - a terrific custom.

This is one all star year.

Ken "FloridaBoy" Willaman

*snip*

The MPC list is especially disappointing to me. When those caricature kits were out the first time in the 70s, I was a kid building then, (the prime age for those things), & I never had any interest in them, (I've never liked models that didn't reflect realism, even in customs), & some 30+ years later, they have even less interest to me. I can see the nostalgia factor in the "Zingers" for a lot of people & that's good & will hopefully create revenue for Round2, but I recall those Roadrunner & Wile E Coyote kits as being sales bombs & have neither read or heard of any interest in them or people clamoring for their return.

Oh well, besides the car kits from Moebius & Revell's 62 Impala, looks like I'll save a lot of money on models in 2010!! Maybe Tamiya will have something of interest, or the money saved can buy me a MFH kit or two, & there's always resin......

I have nothing against nostalgia, but that's basically all that collection is.

I couldn't agree more. I hope for Round 2's sake the MPC Show Rods are hits, but wasn't the Depth Charger re-issued a few years ago along with the Hardhat Hauler and the Gridiron-whatever-it-was-called? I just don't get the feeling people are clammoring for more Depth Charger kits, but maybe I'm wrong. :P I'm sure the Zingers will sell very well, though I can't understand why the RR and WEC kits are being re-issued, either. Maybe the re-issued Tom Daniles and Dave Deal kits from Revell are showing that there is demand for the zanier kits...

I've never been a fan of MPC kits, so this news really isn't a big bummer for me, but I worry about how poor sales might affect Round 2 and in particular, future releases.

Casey...here's the reason I'm excited about the re-issue of these kits...back when they came out I didn't have much "pocket change" at all and spent a lot of time looking at these kits on shelves but just couldn't afford them. Then along came "growing up" with girls, marriage, book learning, family-first responsibilities and, well,...I missed out on many of these cool kits that caught my eye "back when". For sure I'm not into every new/re-issue offering but I'd bet there are others out there that feel as I do and are real glad to see a particular model or two show up again in a new box and at a reasonable price. Let's not spoil the party for others just because a particular model offering isn't what we want. It appears to me that we have model companies that are bringing back the fun again and, with time, you just may see something that "rocks ya"! :)

Joe

I'm all in for the

Manx

Batmobiles

Munster Koach

Dragula

The Zingers??

Maybe if the Vans are 1/25 and workable to other versions and not Cartoonishy.

And maybe a COT or two just for kicks..

I'm glad to see anything I don't have and is Interesting.

Get them Creative building juices flowing.

Yeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaa

Joe, I do understand your feelings, & though I'm not into those types of models I hope they do well enough saleswise to make a profit for Round2.

Two things worry me however. One is the fact that AMT might be trafficking in nostalgia too much, & the other, (related to the first), is that it's generally agreed that part of the decline of the hobby in it's "Golden Age" was the introduction of more cartoonish types of kits, aimed at a younger group of builders.

I do hope such kits sell well, even if they have no interest to me, I just fear that by skewing their overall aim towards the nostalgia oriented collector, (for the most part, a poll on their own website shows that the majority of their customers collect kits, rather than build them), will cause a backlash by the serious builders. If you don't offer them something of value, & you don't attract the younger crowd, (which I don't think reissues of caricature kits from 30+ years ago that they can't relate to will do), then you run the risk of losing both your core audience & your potential audience.

:lol:

Apparently Round 2 must be selling enough of these old kit releases to make a profit? Why would they keep doing it if not? Apparently the model companies have their information on what will or not sell better than you do. Seems to me that there is a lot of happy modelers out there with the news of all the releases.

Casey...here's the reason I'm excited about the re-issue of these kits...back when they came out I didn't have much "pocket change" at all and spent a lot of time looking at these kits on shelves but just couldn't afford them. Then along came "growing up" with girls, marriage, book learning, family-first responsibilities and, well,...I missed out on many of these cool kits that caught my eye "back when". For sure I'm not into every new/re-issue offering but I'd bet there are others out there that feel as I do and are real glad to see a particular model or two show up again in a new box and at a reasonable price. Let's not spoil the party for others just because a particular model offering isn't what we want. It appears to me that we have model companies that are bringing back the fun again and, with time, you just may see something that "rocks ya"! :mellow:

Joe

I understand there are people (namely older modelers) who are delighted to see these kits re-issued, and that's probably why Round2 chose these particular kits. I'm sure Round2 is smart enough to realize a twelve year-old isn't going to drop $22.00 on a caricature train model with the Roadrunner driving it, but a 55 year-old who originally built the kit in the early '70s when he had a paper route is. Since MPC hasn't tooled up a new kit in 20 years or so, I realize any MPC kit which is re-issued is a nostalgic type release, and I have no problem with that. Again, I hope Round2 proves my thinking wrong and has a huge sales success on their hands.

FWIW, I was a big fan of Monogram's SSP program, and I picked up a few kits (White fuel tanker semi, Slingshot dragster, etc.) that I ordinarily would never have much interest in, mostly because they looked fun (though simplistic) to build. I would love to see Revell re-issue more older Revell and/or Monogram kits or backdate a few of them to original issue form, including box art- kits like the Blue Beetle '29 Ford Pickup, High Rollers series 4x4s, or even more Tom Daniel-designed kits (I loved the Hemi Semi, Rrrroain' Rail, Street Cleaner, Nova Taxi, etc. kits of a few years ago, and was hoping to see the Boss Mustang, Screamin' Vette, and Thunder Bug, etc. eventually re-appear on store shelves).

Edited by Casey

Yeah those High Rollers kits would probably do pretty well. Unlike most of the monster trucks with a little work and some stock ride height wheels you can make a nice stock-ish 4x4 and OOB they are a nice lifted 4x4.

None of the new kits really grab me but there are some re-issues that are nice to see again like the Ford F250, '37 Ford truck, and White Road Boss. The Sikorsky is nice to see again too, I was just starting to look around for another one.

The Lonestar seems like an odd choice for a first time out with a truck, but it is nice to see someone doing an all new semi. I'm guessing they are hoping the wild styling of that truck will attract people who normally don't build heavy trucks.

that Lonestar is just plain uggggllllyyyyy!!!!!, though I am glad to see a new tool rig come out for all the model truckers!!

Another reason the two latter trucks hold less interest for me is the eleven years I worked for Freightliner, Navistar/International was our main competition, so I've got a bit of a weird "bias" about them!! ;)

Yeah, I know it's not rational........ ;)

B)

I'm a big critic of retro...I've blathered on how it's a lazy way to design new vehicles. Nowadays most retro cars look pretty boring after a few years...they blend into the scenery just like everything else.

The first time I heard anything about the LoneStar, it was a thread where everyone was piling on going apespit about how ugly they thought it was. The commotion was akin to serving rancid prune juice at the old folk's home after raising their monthly fees and cutting their social security in half.

I looked at it and thought it was spectacular. Even though it's retro, it's refreshing take from usual truck styling...it's not ultra-conservative, and it's not a mutant anteater pretending to be a truck-the styling just seems to work...for me at least. I think it will make a great basis for a "Concours d'Elegance" hauler. If you've ever been to a big show and have seen the parking lot of the rigs that haul the priceless cars...you might understand where I'm going with that one.

Some of my favorite automotive designs are ones that people either love or hate, with little middle ground :D Provocative, without going "Aztek".

I'm not a truck guy, but I will build a LoneStar if it makes it to market ;)

I've been in the trucking business 30+ years, and the Lonestar is the coolest truck I've ever seen. I don't build truck model....but I'll build THAT one!

And as a DRIVER, I PREFER International trucks over any other....even Peterbilts. Just seems to be more room in them.

Ummmmm Casey, if someone did grow up in the mid 70s, (when those RR & Coyote kits came out), & bought them with paper route money, they'd be in their mid-late 40s, not their mid-late 50s!! I know because I was born in 1961, grew up smack in that era, & I'm 48!! :P I might be an "old fart", but let's not make me older than I already am!! :P:P

I posted too late at night to do the age math, but it's close enough. ;) I wasn't 100% sure when the RR and Wile E kits were released, so mid '70s was my best guess.

The first time I heard anything about the LoneStar

I looked at it and thought it was spectacular.

I'm not a truck guy, but I will build a LoneStar if it makes it to market :huh:

Gotta agree with ya Bob. This thing is "KILLER" lookin' :unsure: .

If they do come out with it, I'll be in line to get mine even though I never have built a "BIG RIG" before, this would definately bring me "OUTTA THE CLOSET" :( .

navistar2.jpg

I got an e-mail from John Greczula this morning that made me a happy camper!!!

Hi Marshall,

Thanks for your support - we've only announced the first half of 2010 - there's a lot more than that coming later!

John GreczulaXenolab Design / Retro Hobby, Inc.Representing Round 2 - AMT, MPC, Auto World

Tel: (519) 533-1915Fax: (519) 533-1547

Oh happy days! ;)

Gotta agree with ya Bob. This thing is "KILLER" lookin' ;) .

If they do come out with it, I'll be in line to get mine even though I never have built a "BIG RIG" before, this would definately bring me "OUTTA THE CLOSET" ;) .

navistar2.jpg

I've dabbled in big rig kits, but really haven't built many. But I'd love to have this one..it's so dramatic. I haven't seen a 1:1 in person yet, though.