Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shadowbox Coupe - Final Update before Completion

Fletch

I ran across this photo a few months back and stuck it in my "Future Projects" album on Fotki. A couple of days ago I was looking through the album and realized that the licensee on the coupe was an Oregon "Pacific Wonderland" plate from the early '60. The quality of the photo makes it difficult to discern what year of Model 'A' Coupe it is. The big Hemi with the 6 log manifold looks pretty imposing along with the cut-down '35/36 Ford pickup grille. You've got to love the license plate bailing wired to the bottom edge of the grille insert!

The best I can tell from the photo is that it's most likely from the Portland area in the early '60. The newest vehicle in the photo is the cop car that can be seen over the shoulder of the kid on the drivers side of the Coupe. The Pacific Wonderland plates were used from 1961-1964 when the 'Pacific Wonderland' was dropped from the plates leaving them Blue w/Yellow lettering.

ShadowBoxCoupe-vi.jpg

license_20091029145729_79595-vi.jpg

The build looks to be pretty straight forward using the Revell reissued '30 Model A Coupe as the basis of the build. The Revell '32 5 Window Coupe will be the donor of the Hemi for the project. Replicas and Miniatures Company of Maryland (RMoM) will get tapped for the 6 log manifold and Dodge "Red Ram" valve covers.

IMG_3086-vi.jpg

IMG_3089-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

A Revell '37 Ford Pickup/Panel Delivery grille will be the start of the radiator surround and get fitted with a cut-down AMT '34 passenger car grille. It looks like I'll have to go to Modelhaus for the white wall slicks for the rear. The bicycle fenders for the front can be made with thin brass shim stock using a roller and a bean bag. I get the impression that this may have been a home built frame as the stub ends sticking out past the grille look to be 2"X3" rectangular steel tubing.

Stay tuned.

Edited by Fletch

Uber-kool, Fletch! The stance and agressive look of the car is over the moon! (The content and composition of the pictures is pretty darn hip, too!) So here's the question: are you gonna finish the build for these guys, or are you gonna do a replica of the car as it is in the picture?

Another worthy project. I wish I could build as fast as you do!

CHEERS!

Tom, I wish I could build as fast as I find projects :lol: ! Unfortunately there are more worthy subjects out there to build then I or any other builder would have enough days to build them. Currently, there are 16 kit boxes sitting on the floor that have tape on the ends of them indicating what project they are for. Most have started just by someone sending me a link to someones Photobucket or Fotki album. Without starting any new projects I'm pretty much set for the next couple of years.

Uber-kool, Fletch! The stance and agressive look of the car is over the moon! (The content and composition of the pictures is pretty darn hip, too!) So here's the question: are you gonna finish the build for these guys, or are you gonna do a replica of the car as it is in the picture?

Bernard, the plan is to pretty much build it as close to the photo as possible. The grassroots hot rodding aspect of this photo is just to cool to resist.

SABA is a member club of the Multinomah Hot Rod Council, I plan to take the photo to the next council meeting to see if any of the old timers can tell me more about the car or the builder. I figure there's got to be someone around that knows something about a Model A Coupe that looks this cool.

We're doing a 6 hour demo/seminar thing at one of the LHS tomorrow, the plan is to get started on this build during the day, at least get the basic body mods completed.

Stay tuned.

Edited by Fletch

• 1 month later...

Finally got the Coupe underway, seeing how the NNL is a little over 100 days away wouldn't want to get started to soon. Were would we all be without a deadline looming over us.

Got the initial chop completed for the Coupe. It may be a bit more then the actual car but, it's not going to be a 100% accurate build anyway as there are way to many things I can't tell from the single photo.

IMG_2312-vi.jpg

IMG_2313-vi.jpg

IMG_2314-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

The frame will be built out of Evergreen .080X.125 as that's about as close to 2X3 as possible.

Stay Tuned.

Neat inspiration and a good-looking build. Out of curiosity, which NNL are you talking about? I know NNL East is going to be end of March or April.

Charlie Larkin

Guess I should have been more specific about the NNL. March 27th, 2010 is the 20th Pacific Northwest NNL Model Car Fest here in Portland. Going to the NNL East would be a great time but being part of the host club for the PNW NNL it's a bit difficult to be at 2 places at one time.

NNL East will be April 18. NNL East 2010.

As it looks now, I'll probably be doing income taxes this year for a part-time job, so I doubt I'll be able to make it to Portland, but one can never tell. New Jersey, however, is another story. I might be able to pull that off.

Love to see you if you can come east.

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575

Very cool car. I love the "period correctness" of this build. The engine will be very impressive with those great R & M parts. I really like this. Some day, I will get to build a few "Hot Rods" for the 60's. I have such fond memories of that period. Oh, to go back to that simpler time for just a few days would be amazing. Great start to a great project.

The body that I planned to use for this build was originally slated for another project which got put on the back burner because a fellow club member was well on the way to building the same Coupe. The chop was a bit deeper then I what I thought it should be for the Shadowbox Coupe. While we were out and about over the weekend I picked up another '30 Coupe for this build. The roof has been chopped the area that use to represent the roof insert was also removed.

IMG_2881-vi.jpg

IMG_2882-vi.jpg

IMG_2883-vi.jpg

IMG_2884-vi.jpg

The next step of construction for the body is to replicate the molding that Monogram eliminated in order to make the base body usable for several different body styles and replicate the bows for the opening in the roof.

One of the things that I wasn't quite sure how I was going to at least get close on the build was the front cone shaped hubcaps. A fellow SABA member brought me 4 of the cone hubcaps from an AMT original issue '40 Ford Coupe.

IMG_2885-vi.jpg

IMG_2886-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Granted they are not exactly those on the coupe but for the purposes of this build they are close enough.

Stay tuned.

• 3 weeks later...

Got a little bit of work done on the body for this Coupe. One of the problems that Monogram created when they chose to make the compromise to be able to use the lower body of the Coupe for several different upper body sections was to eliminate the upper body beading or molding. It's always been one of those pet peeve things with me. In order to get the body to where it has more of the look of a Model 'A' Coupe a piece of .080 Evergreen 1/2 round stock was added above the molded on body line. The .080 is far to thick so it requires some reshaping. You could do the same thing with a piece of .020X.080 flat stock and round the edges. Personally, I prefer using the 1/2 round. The other piece of the body molding the needs to be added is the bead rail around the back of the upper portion of the body. Evergreen .020 round stock was used to accomplish this.

IMG_3071-vi.jpg

IMG_3072-vi.jpg

IMG_3073-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

The final bit of fill work around the area of the chop is scrap Evergreen Styrene that has been liquefied in Tamiya Extra Thin Cement. It sands nicely and is close to the kit styrene. The nice thing about it is it melts itself into the surrounding plastic becoming part of the body when fully cured.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the body to the point of being ready for primer. The last bit of work needed was attaching the trunk lid and the stringers in the roof opening.

IMG_3152-vi.jpg

IMG_3154-vi.jpg

IMG_3155-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

The roof stringers are Evergreen .030 1/4 round stock.

Seeing how the body is 1/24th scale I am considering using the engine, manifold and carb set up from the Lil Coffin. This will require a bit of modification of the valve covers by taking the spark plug cover off and adding the wells for the plug boots.

Obviously, the project has a long way to go, but, is still moving forward.

Stay Tuned