Model Cars Magazine Forum

1958 Chevy Proton- A Fictional Nuclear Powered Car: WIP (Photos Restored)

David G.

Randy,

Thanks, it's nice to know I'm moving in a good direction.

Mr. Mike,

That is flippin awsome! I looked at the other pics on Photobucket and was a little disappointed not to find some build progress shots. I learn a lot from those progress shots and I was hoping to see how you did some of the body modifications. Do you have something like that here on the forum for that car?

• 6 months later...

OMG!!!!!!! i love fall out 3 and i have always thought to my self when i saw the cars "i wonder if some one will try to build these" lol i play that game like every day of my life but thats probably because im a 13 year old :blink:;)

well any ways this car looks amazing!!!!!!!!!

Alex

Finally, I've got some painting done that I can be mostly satisfied with.

med_gallery_5155_229_38317.jpg

It ain't perfect, but it don't look bad from here. I am very impressed with the Tamiya paint, it's almost like an airbrush in a can.

med_gallery_5155_229_27175.jpg

The masking work came out fairly well. I think next time I'll work the lines a little differently though.

med_gallery_5155_229_32231.jpg

I need to come up with some ideas on what to do with this bit back here. I think that the chromie thingy on the back looks a little too wheel-like. And then there's the tail lights. As always, any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Again, thanks for taking the time to look.

Dave G.

I think you could use an afterburner from a fighter jet model just kinda inset into the rear. just my thoughts . great job by the way keep the pics comming!

Edited by Aftashox

I was kind of surprised to see this one come back out into the daylight. Coincidentally, I've been thinking about this build over the past couple of weeks. It's the one that started me building again after more than twenty years. Unfortunately, I ran into some obstacles that, at the time, I lacked skill and patience to overcome. Now that I've had some time develop some new skills and polish what skills I once had, I feel a bit more confident about approaching this project again.

I never really gave up on this project, it's just that it's important enough to me to want to do it the right way and with a minimum of compromise.

Thanks for all of you kind comments and encouragement. I'm beginning to feel a renewed desire to fire this one up again. First, I've got one build to finish up: It's Monogram's "Car Show" 55 Chevy Bel Air Hard Top. I've decided to build it as a mild custom, replacing the stock 265 V-8 with the 348 Tri-Power from the '58 Impala. I'll be using "Keystone Classic" style wheels sporting G-60's on the front and street slicks on the rear. In the vein of the classic 70's customs that I saw in the car shows of my youth, the front will be lowered just a bit while the rear will receive a moderate lift to accommadate the slicks. I'll add some side pipes if I can find them and the paint job, which I've nearly finished is (are you ready for this?) pink and white.

I was trying to decide on a color for this one and I'd grown tired of the standard blue, white, red and black that I've too frequently used in the past, when I saw a can of pink spraypaint that was left over from some other forgotten project and thought to myself,

"Hey, this is perfect, I hate pink! Let's see if I can make this into something I can like."

So I decided to take a step outside of my comfort zone and do something I wouldn't normally do, build a pink model car. :D

I'll post some pics as soon as I get the paint to where I want it.

Thanks again guys, for giving me a boost on the Proton project, you helped me to kick it to the top of my to do list.

Regards,

David G.

• 11 months later...

This is the project that got me back into building after being away from it for more than thirty years. It's been about a year and a half since I started it. I think I needed to develop some of my skills in order to progress further. It's not nearly done. but I've made some good progress in the past week.

The reactor bay.

58_ChevyProton20.jpg.ab68f71bc19a2dbebf92671f5f2ed138.jpg

Finally, there's wheels under those fenders!

58_ChevyProton19.jpg.9dfe240c9b66769a43596a5c41044704.jpg

Of course, with the power plant in the rear, the trunk is in the front.

58_ChevyProton22.jpg.73b29cb996e2129f3a88bd9c95a4844f.jpg

Gizmo detail

58_ChevyProton23.jpg.bc73b94356f35a42a2bca0d6eeb29101.jpg

I hope it was worth the wait.

Hopefully soon, foil glass and chrome! ;)

Thanks for looking.

David G.

Edited by David G.
Refreshed Photos

Thanks for all the encouraging comments and compliments.

I did, however just notice the new rule at the top of the Workbench page...

For those viewing others who are presenting their works in progress in this section of the forum, please keep your criticisms, sarcasms, and other comments to yourself, unless the builder/poster has specifically asked for such replies.

Please consider this my offical and specific request for criticisms and/or comments; including, but not to be limited to, comments of a constructive, critical, creative or observational nature. As long as such comments are true and factual as based on the opinion of a skilled builder of scale models of any type, said comments will be taken into consideration. Such consideration in no way implies any contract of any sort and therefore, no action or reaction of any kind on my part is to be expected or anticipated by the commentor. Comments of an insulting, derogatory, sarcastic, inflammatory, or just plain mean nature will be blithely ignored or derisively chuckled at.

Seriously, I value all the comments I've received on the projects I've posted here over the past couple of years. I've learned a lot from the tips and pointers offered by the many highly skilled builders on this forum. I would greatly like to continue receiving those tips and pointers. Thank you all, your input has made me a much better builder.

David G.

Edited by David G.

Made just a little more progress on the Chevy Proton.

I added more of the "chromie bits".

1180048080_P2038.jpg.7d6dac09de032554bac227af31dc1f58.jpg

I also got the foiling done.

368453299_P2039.jpg.a7fdd9ac82f8388b6e2ed56a71b6f222.jpg

Thanks for looking,

David G.

Edited by David G.
Refreshed Photos

Thanks for the kind words!

I've hit another snag. I want the main cooling intake and rear exhaust "thruster" to have a chrome finish. The Testors Metalalizer is nice, but it just doesn't have the look that I want. I'm shopping for an airbrush so I can spray some Alclad. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

David G.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I know it doesn't look like much but this represents about six hours worth of work.

I finally decided that instead of getting all fancy and creative I would just use the tail lights that came with the kit. I also modified the kit glass to fit the new rear window configuration. I had to do some trimming and shaping then glue strip styrene to the lower edges to simulate trim strips. That was a bear. I ended up using CA which, of course, marred the glass. I then polished and clear coated with Pledge Floor Care Finish (or whatever they're calling it this year).

12_58_Proton_24.jpg.0a09113736fefe85f3c7924f87bff767.jpg

Thanks for looking and as always, please feel free to comment.

David G.

Edited by David G.
Photos Restored

• David G. changed the title to 1958 Chevy Proton- A Fictional Nuclear Powered Car: WIP (Photos Restored)