Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint Booths & Safe Ventilation?

Synister

Ok so you painted a car in a garage next to a gravel pit and wet the floor down big whop. I bet 75% of the gear heads on this site have done the same thing!

If you weren't trying to denigrate a HVAC professional like me James W Rasmussen then why did you bring it up? Yes the Acronym is "keep it simple stupid"

Well I guess I am Stupid Art!!!! After all you seem to me the resident expert of all so it must be true! Next time you want to call me Stupid show some class and pm me!

What is the CFM rating of your proposed fans??

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Ace,

each fan is 240 CFM, but I will need to use flexible hose to vent (about 8 feet). From reading some of the other posts, you need more suction for the flex rather than the solid pipe. Do you think this might be overkill?

Thanks.

This is what I am dealing with on a regular basis. Sanding will get it out but the only two bodies I have ever completed required sanding and reps rating and still ended up with the paint rubbed through

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=83137&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

Edited by Quick GMC

One piece of advise. MOVE! Man that looks like photos my grandparents took in the 40's of the dust bowl days. That must be heck on everything especially the real deal cars. You probably don't have to worry so much about rust with a free daily sandblasting.

I can't move. I work for my dad's business which has been anchored down here for almost 35 years. I'm pretty much here forever. There is a large desert on the other side of those buildings, which goes for miles and miles, all the down and past my house, near the windmills.

So my wife told my parents I was looking at a spray booths, i was showing her the one I wanted. before I could explain I was going to build my own, they ordered it for me for my birthday. I got it last night, a week early. So here I am with the Artograph spray booth. It may be an overpriced exhaust fan, but this thing is built WELL. I am working with James to figure out how to make it even better. We have a good plane to make it fully enclosed.

I was going to build an enclosed box from a cabinet, but I think I can do the same with this booth. I don't have the heart to return it, and I really like it, so I'll make it work.

That's some serious dust.

All other dusty places are just wimpy.

Maybe spraying models is not that important. I'd be worried about breathing in a place like that.

Michael

Dito man!

I think you got bigger problems in that environment than just painting little model cars!

wow, ya, you got some dust!

i'm thinking paint whatever you are going to paint, set it outside, and let mother natures sand paper smooth it out [sand storms].

again, you were not kidding when you said dust!

It's nearly impossible to keep out of our AC system. It's not a breathing hazard or really that bad, but when trying to lay down a nice paint job, it does have an affect.

One thing I was thinking is putting a filter over the vent for the air coming into the room, that would limit the dust flying around.

the other problem with my other booths was I had to open the window to place the vent board outside. Well dust would get into the room between the little crevices. I'll be cutting a hole in the wall to have a permanent vent outside with a door on the other side to make it a one way vent. These two should help tremendously.

Cameron, you mentioned above working in a granite shop. So, I suppose theres some cutting and polishing going on, and I'm sure the abrasive materials are water cooled, as well as having the fine dust reduced. So, using this type of water system to reduce dust would be the way to go, or not? When i see the environment you live and work in, I can't readily imagine that filteringalone is going to produce the best results. Some kind of thicker plastic sheet in conjunction with water running down the sides would perhaps be a good thing. No? Air and filters, ain't gonna get it. Water.

Don't paint shops work with water running down the walls? I know Mercedes Benz in Stuttgart does, that would be good enough for me.

Michael

Cameron, you mentioned above working in a granite shop. So, I suppose theres some cutting and polishing going on, and I'm sure the abrasive materials are water cooled, as well as having the fine dust reduced. So, using this type of water system to reduce dust would be the way to go, or not? When i see the environment you live and work in, I can't readily imagine that filteringalone is going to produce the best results. Some kind of thicker plastic sheet in conjunction with water running down the sides would perhaps be a good thing. No? Air and filters, ain't gonna get it. Water.

Don't paint shops work with water running down the walls? I know Mercedes Benz in Stuttgart does, that would be good enough for me.

Michael

If it were a full size booth I would consider that, but we're talking about a bench top booth in the bedroom of my house.

As of right now, this is the plan I am working on

1. Artograph spray booth

2. 5 sided box made of acrylic to go over the Artograph spray booth and completely seal it up.

3. Cut holes in the acrylic box to stick my arms through, possible add the built in gloves

4. Permanent hard ducting from the booth to the wall, through the wall with a one way flap. This will be about 24" of tubing, very short.

5. Filter incoming air

I have successfully painted 1 (ONE) single body in 6 years in this house. I believe it was because I used a very fast drying lacquer. I have completed two other bodies with paint, but literally two days of sanding and polishing each to get them to that point and there was still rub-through. I have laid down one perfect enamel paint job from my airbrush, only to have it ruined with dust and hair.

I have spent all the money I am willing to spend. I bought fancy new compressor and airbrush, I buy the best paints, I practice, etc. I have gotten better over the years, I know it, but I am always questioning myself. I have never addressed my work environment properly. Either this works or I'm done. Which would be very devastating to me at this point, but it frustrates me more to put all the detail into these cars that I do and not be able to finish them or put them on a shelf.

• 1 month later...

I live in Washington so the amount of warmth year round is not that much combine that with losing an hour of sunlight soon and you get the picture

I love the idea of building my own but with work (active duty Army) and a year and a half old son, time isn't bountiful in the first place. I'm hoping for a parts list and plans for construction that are straight forward OR first hand experience with the portable or smaller hobby ones from eBay or Amazon.

I've done research on here and couldn't come up with too much either in their favor or against them

I'd be using it for 1/24 and 1/25 cars/trucks. It would be in a downstairs bedroom off the main entrance/kitchen/family room so keeping the fumes down is a MUST. And the windows are on a horizontal frame.

Any and all help would be appreciated, hoping to have this done (either route) by the 15th

Here you go

http://www.tcpglobal.com/MAS-B420DCK.html#.VAVcvGPmFxU

Just an FYI, if you buy from them through their Ebay store, you can get free shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Hobby-Airbrush-Spray-Booth-Kit-Exhaust-Fan-Filter-Craft-Paint-Model-Figurine-/191309608762?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c8af0f73a

I have had mine for while and have had no problems with it .

Here you go

Just an FYI, if you buy from them through their Ebay store, you can get free shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Hobby-Airbrush-Spray-Booth-Kit-Exhaust-Fan-Filter-Craft-Paint-Model-Figurine-/191309608762?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c8af0f73a

I've been using one of these for a few years now and its run without issue too.

Here you go

I have had mine for while and have had no problems with it .

How well does it collect the fumes for exhausting them? My thoughts were the fan/motor wouldn't be strong enough. It would be tamiya acrylics and some enamels. Doesn't look like a spray can would work with the size it is

I built mine for around $60 out of 1/2 mdf. Has high volume bathroom exhaust fan and normal ac type filter.It vents out the back threw a 5" metal dryer hose. I run it out the window.Have a power strip on it and put normal plug on fan and over hang on one side to use as self.(where glue is) Also added florescent light. If you do use a bath fan make sure it is brushless motor paint fumes are extremely flammable. So no spark is key. Mine is pretty bi since i do ships too. It is in storage right now so in pieces and dirty, but here are some pics to give you an idea. Think it would make a good pic booth too. I used it in the house with out wife knowing so it catches fumes.

DSC02662.jpg

DSC02660.jpg

DSC02663.jpg

Edited by ferrarijoe

After building several booths and now having a store bought one with modifications, I would say a spray booth under $100 wouldn't be worth it. To keep the cost down, I would build your own, but I don't think $100 would cut it, for a proper booth

I disagree, my "store bought" one works just fine, is it perfect?, no, but it does what I need it too , and it was so far, worth the money.

• 2 weeks later...

can anyone who has built their own post the the motors they are using and the size of their box?

Every time I find a good deal on an actual brand booth (Paasche, Artograph) They always end up being a couple hours away. It looks like building one is going to be the route I take. I just want to make sure, with the motor being the main element, I purchase the right one from the get go