Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint Booths & Safe Ventilation?

Synister

I have a paint booth I made myself about 20 years ago, but I have been looking at the Pace booths. I am considering the 36" unit which is $499. I'm going to finance it by selling a group of valuable kits that I have in my hoard but really don't need. I have models I've already done of these, duplicates and rebuildables of them, so I'd never build anything from these sealed kits.

I believe in buying the best tools I can. I can justify a $500 booth because I will use it often for many years. It will help me enjoy the hobby a bit more and safely!

I have a pace booth with lights. if I were to do it again I would not get the model with lights; I hardly use the built in ones. I bought some cheap clip on LED lamps one for each side, and they work perfect much better than the harsh direct close lamp in the hood. other than that I can recommend these booths if you don't want to bother with building your own. they are a bit expensive and mine got a bit bent in shipping but in the end I think it is very useful. the fan and overall ventilation is very very good, I never have any paint fumes aside from right in front of the booth before the fan sucks them out of the room. I forget which model I have exactly but its the "peace keeper" and sort of in the middle of the line; like I said I would save some money and not get the lighted model next time.

there was some rumor that Pace was no longer in business but I do still notice their ads in magazines.

jb

So, hi everyone. I ain't been as frequent lately. Life happens!

But anyways. I've got the makings of a decent spray booth, I think.

It's a gutted out C&C lathe, which I got from my da's school, as it was being thrown away.

So what should I do to make this into a spray booth? I have no clue.

tumblr_nk2s685Jvv1qlq9k4o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nk2s685Jvv1qlq9k4o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nk2s685Jvv1qlq9k4o4_1280.jpg

It has this coming out the side, which would be useful for extraction of some description maybe?

tumblr_nk2s685Jvv1qlq9k4o1_1280.jpg

I honestly have no clue. Some help would be nice.

Oh, and I've been inactive but I've been busy.. Nearly got this thing finished!!

tumblr_nk2s8j9RYM1qlq9k4o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nk2s8j9RYM1qlq9k4o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nk2s8j9RYM1qlq9k4o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nk2s8j9RYM1qlq9k4o4_1280.jpg

Cheers B)

I would cut two holes in the back of it and mount two fans. Cut a square hole in the top to add a filter to clean the air coming.

I bought the flanges and holes that mount gloves, but when they are installed, it's 9" diameter. It doesn't look like your flip cover is that big. I would probably leave that alone. Flip it open to paint, get it done, then close it and let the paint dry and let the fans draw everything out.

There's a formula you can use to figure out how big your inlet filter needs to be depending on the CFM of your fan and cubic size of the box.

A couple of quick thoughts for you-Put a raised floor in it with ducts for a down draft booth and mount a fan motor in the lower area to take the fumes out through that little duct.Or drill a hole in the back wall for the fan motor and duct the fumes out the back.

It's certainly big enough, but my suggestion is to be very careful about the vent fan. The possibility of a fire from certain types of fans with paint fumes venting through them is very real. Remember you are passing flammable gases thru an electrical fan motor that my not be designed to handle a flammable gas. It looks like you would have plenty of room for a "down draft" setup. Then you just need some flex hose to the outside thru the window. I suggest you look at the section of the forum where this sort of thing has been discussed in depth. I think you will find many more ideas than I can offer you. Be safe, not sorry.

While I generally agree, Dave, motors rated as NEMA explosion proof can be very expensive. I've been using a 265 CFM squirrel cage blower with a standard TENV motor (non explosion proof) for years on my paint booth, with no problems at all, and will soon be adding a duplicate unit on the other side of my booth.

William and Ben, do you both have the 24" Pace booth? Is that size sufficient for model cars? I had been looking at the 36" unit, which my friend Don has and recommends.

I bought the 24" Pace Peace Keeper booth in 2010, and yes, it's more than adequate for any 1/25 scale car or pickup (even OTR truck cabs and frames! One thing to bear in mind in considering the cost: A unit such as this is a "one time investment" in a tool. Once you have it, it's going to last a lot of years.

Art

Edited by Art Anderson

I have the Paasche HSSB-22-16, and back when I got it Amazon had it for sale at $150 plus shipping...

http://www.amazon.com/Paasche-HSSB-22-16-Hobby-22-Inch-18-Inch/dp/B0038DANR6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424461445&sr=8-1&keywords=paasche+hssb-22-16

41HxzuxS-tL._SX466_.jpg

Definitely worth it if you can get it on sale for close to that price. Only caveat is there's no lighting inside it, but an LED strip and some velcro works wonders.

William and Ben, do you both have the 24" Pace booth? Is that size sufficient for model cars? I had been looking at the 36" unit, which my friend Don has and recommends.

The 24" has room to spare. I have room to paint the body, hood, chassis, and other bits and pieces at the same time.

I have the Paasche HSSB-22-16, and back when I got it Amazon had it for sale at $150 plus shipping...

http://www.amazon.com/Paasche-HSSB-22-16-Hobby-22-Inch-18-Inch/dp/B0038DANR6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424461445&sr=8-1&keywords=paasche+hssb-22-16

41HxzuxS-tL._SX466_.jpg

Definitely worth it if you can get it on sale for close to that price. Only caveat is there's no lighting inside it, but an LED strip and some velcro works wonders.

I've got the Paasche HSSB 22-16 booth and am happy with it too, used cheap LED strip lights on the sides works well. Picked mine up at Coast Airbrush a while ago when I was in Southern California, no idea what the freight would have been, it's all sheet metal so it's heavy package. Don't think Coast carries the Pace Booths or not, this was the one Dave Monnig recommended for the type of stuff I paint. Edited by Skip

I have the Pace 36" Deluxe. Definitely one of the best investments I made. Vented out of the window there isn't any stitch of fumes or odors during or after painting. It has 2 separately switched light bulbs inside which I put in two 100w daylight bulbs and there's plenty of light inside the booth. The intergrated switched outlets are also a great addition ( for a compressor and such). There is plenty of room to have multiple sub assemblies in the booth at the same time during painting if you choose to do so. Especially when using the extension shelf on the front.

Only slight drawback is that the replaceable filters are an uncommon size so they are not stocked at the Home Depot or Lowes in my area but they'll order them in for you. I actually found an online shop that sells them even cheaper than HD so I'll order a box of 10 that'll get me thru at least a year.

Of course I haven't had access to multiple spray booths to make a comparison to say which is better but just sharing my thoughts and experiences of what I do have.

Chris

this brings up a good point: I just returned from hom despot and at least at mine it seems they no longer sell a big range of filter brands but now only had "their" brand (made by an established filter company) and even more troubling they seemed to be phasing out the filters I need for my pace booth (24 X 12 X1) as they only had a small stack of them and they were hidden behind some other junk (its all junk basically). now maybe its because out here the "season" for stuff you need all year round is somehow "over" and they will be getting plenty more in "next 'season'" or some such marketing pathooey their beancounters figured would save them 10% of what they pay said beancounters. or maybe not...maybe there will be no such filters next "season". I bought a half dozen just in case the latter is true which it has been before, many times.

God I hate this "WalMart-ization" of America. what happened to the hardware stores that had what you needed and that stuff actually worked?

welcome to California.

jb

Edited by jbwelda

What I dont understand about these hobby "spray booths" is theyre all wide open....they only filter the air going out...this cant be affective. Foreign particles will be drawn in by the fan and right into the work. Making it worse than not even using it. A spray booth is a sealed unit..controls the air going in and out.

The idea with the hobby paint booths isn't to keep foreign material and dust out of the paint. They are intended to evacuate and control the propellant/reducer/thinner fumes and overspray created by spraying paint in an indoor environment. A fully enclosed booth would be ideal, but impractical given the size of the parts that are generally painted and methods of applying said paint.

Edited by Longbox55

What I dont understand about these hobby "spray booths" is theyre all wide open....they only filter the air going out...this cant be affective. Foreign particles will be drawn in by the fan and right into the work. Making it worse than not even using it. A spray booth is a sealed unit..controls the air going in and out.

Speaking from experience here: I've got a Pace, which exhausts the paint fumes, and the overspray particulates (those get trapped in a common furnace filter at the back of the booth), and yet it DOES not have enough velocity to pull dust or dirt into the booth itself.

If one is getting dust, then that dust is likely bits of lint in the air--something that a good cleaning of one's work space will go a lot way to curing.

Art

Sorry I never replied to you Steve but I hadn't been back to the post. I'm not using a booth right now. Just a paint mask and spray a little at a time. I'm glad you posted this because it pushes me to go ahead and build mine. I'm still scared of of the brush vs. brushless issue. Even though the one guy hasn't had a problem using a bathroom fan I'll err of the side of safety and pay a little more for a brushless. Good luck with your booth. Please post when you get 'er done.