Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mixing 1/25 and 1/24 Scale Tractors and Trailers

All,

So I tried to obtain answers to my questions by using the search function in this forum, but no joy. Pardon my ignorance and thank you for your patience.

(1) Is there an obviously detectable difference between 1/25th and 1/24th scale?

(2) To get more options without resorting to scratch building, do you all mix 1/25th and 1/24th scale tractors with 1/24 and 1/25th scale trailers?

Scott

Edited by M. Scott Borden

I mix scale parts on a model and display 1/25th scale trailers with 1/24th scale tractors.

There is a noticeable difference but the smaller trailer takes up less space (okay, only an inch or so less).

Tim

Tim,

Thank you very much for the straight-forward answer. It is exactly the information I was seeking and helps me make a few decisions about trailers... like don't sweat small differences in non-contest settings!

Cheers,

Scott

I mix scale parts on a model and display 1/25th scale trailers with 1/24th scale tractors.

There is a noticeable difference but the smaller trailer takes up less space (okay, only an inch or so less).

Tim

I/24th scale should become the de facto scale for model truck kits.

• 2 weeks later...

There's most certainly a detectable difference between the two scales, but for the most part, only the most anal of 'scale fidelity' freaks will notice it.

I'm guilty of mixing 'bi-scale' parts on my models, but I always try to keep the 1/24 stuff with the 1/24 stuff and the 1/25 stuff with the 1/25 stuff. Sometimes you'll be the only one who even notices, but it still might bug you every time you look at it, just because you know, so my advice would simply be to proceed with caution!

The size difference is pretty minimal, you are talking about 1 scale inch for every two scale feet. 12 scale feet is 6" in 1/24, and 5.76" in 1/25. Even on something big like a 48 foot trailer you are only talking about 1" in 1-1.

While I can see the occasional issue with a part such as a wheel which may look over / under size in the other scale I find it very hard to believe there is any difference in detailing opportunities between the two. I would guess the two scales are close enough that the margin for error in the stated scale of the kits is just as likely to be an issue as the kit saying 1/24 vs 1/25.

Some friends & I were discussing this exact same thing at the Fulton show this year. One thing that came up was that the 1/25 AMT kits are based on the older width laws (96", I think), while the newer Revell of Germany & Italleri 1/24 kits are based on the newer width laws (102"). That might cause some diesrepancy as well.

Well, remember that the trailers in 1/25 can be described as 1970s vintage, so 96" widths are the rule with those. Trailers 2day are 102" wide. Now if you take Italeri's 1/24 reefer and hook it to, say, the 1/25 scale AMT T600, it looks like a 102" trailer. The 102s are wider than the trucks. The width difference can be seen by the driver in his/her mirror on a real truck.

The problem is that when you hook certain trailers to a 1/24 scale tractor, certain things make it noticeable. For instance, Using the big 1/2 fenders on a 1/24 scale tractor, you will definately make the narrowness of the 1/25 scale trailer more apparent. You will notice this especially with vans, or flatbed kits, as they are full width. The AMT tanker, wouldn't be really noticeable. The reason I say this, is that the fenders will stick out from under the sides of the trailer. The edges of some 1/2 fenders will on a real truck, but not very much.

It can be done, you just may have to make certain mods, or use some simple visual tricks. You can put anything you want together. Ultimately, it's up 2 you. No one here will put you down for it, although a contest judge may frown upon it. :)

Now if you take Italeri's 1/24...

Your technical knowledge is impressive Flatbed, but with all due respect the Italeri American reefer trailer is a bad example. It is out of proportion in so many ways. This has been highlighted many times before. The major annoyance is the height of the van body and as well as the suspension. Ironically due to its inaccuracies, that trailer would look more in scale on a 1/25th scale tractor that a 1/24th scale tractor.

Your technical knowledge is impressive Flatbed, but with all due respect the Italeri American reefer trailer is a bad example. It is out of proportion in so many ways. This has been highlighted many times before. The major annoyance is the height of the van body and as well as the suspension. Ironically due to its inaccuracies, that trailer would look more in scale on a 1/25th scale tractor that a 1/24th scale tractor.

Chuck, I'm glad you mentioned that. The only other 1/24 trailers that come to mind are the Italeri Container trailer, although the frame needs to be "Americanized", and the Beall tanker. The reefer seemed easier to find, though. The height is the only inaccuracy I'm certain of. What are the other problems with it? I know it's been highlighted, but could never really find out what. I have a couple of these myself. What's the deal with the suspension? Thanks in advance.

To me the inaccurate height of the Italeri American reefer trailer renders it unusable. You can take two kits and graft the side walls together, but that is a lot of work. For the skilled modeler though, the results are rewarding. A German modeler, Günter Bönisch did just that with wonderful results. Other issues are the suspension, very inaccurate; it doesn’t have a diesel fuel tank. It was an after thought included in an Italeri truck accessories kit, the king pin and the wheels. I have been lobbying Italeri for years to reintroduce a modern accurate North American styled van trailer. But of course I’m only one person

Interesting discussion!

I always wondered why have 1/25 and 1/24. I thought maybe it was something to do with North American companies (AMT and ERTL) using the imperial system and European companies (Revell and Italeri) using the metric system.

Personnaly I am always mixing 1/25 and 1/24 parts with aftermarket and scratch built stuff to get the right kind of look! being able to disguise things is something you learn pretty early on as you develop what you are doing.

Its interesting to learn about the changes in width between the 70s and 80s. The current Construction and Use regulations here in Britain allow 8' 4" (2.55m) and with a refrigerated unit 8' 6" (2.6m). I think the width is pretty universal in Europe but overall lengths do change. The maximum allowable length of a semi trailer is 13.6m or 45 feet nominal thereabouts. But there are no maximum height limits. I wonder how some of these dimensions compare with the "Italeri American Reefer Unit". I suspect that they may have taken a European refrigerated trailer specifications and added or made some changes that would make it look generically to the untrained eye like an American trailer. Why go to all the time trouble and expense to manufacture dies and tooling and not take the time to jump on an aeroplane to research the subject correctly to achieve the necessary accuracy modellers require? It makes no sense.

There is a big difference between a model that is built as a typical representation of an overall theme and a model that is built to depict historical accuracy. They are two entirely different things in my book. I suspect that the model kit manufacturers are working on the former rather than the later. There are so many variants it would be difficult to please everyone. Although a great suggestion that was posted on the forum was "Why not offer a selection of different parts so the builder can build what they want". For example different wheels, tyres, engines, transmissions etc. The model kit manufacturers never came to the party (Although Italeri tried with their truck accessory kits). Well thats one of the reasons why the aftermarket suppliers are in business. There is a niche market created by model engineers who want greater historical accuracy and are prepared to spend time and money to produce the model that they want. Not the model that the kit manufacturers want them to have. Have you noticed the selection of aftermarket kits, conversions and parts that are now available to us. I think its great. Yes its expensive but I'm not building a model every week. My latest escapade has taken me nearly 2 years and I still have not finished. So when you average out the costs per month they are quite small compared with buying a new kit every week or so. I would describe my work as not historically accurate. The specifications I normally dream up. But I build for me, these are not toys they represent a personal challenge to see what I can achieve with the skills and abilities that I have. Made all the more easier by a great selection of aftermaket suppliers who aid me in that goal.

Best Wishes

Dave

Edited by Old Albion

Jim, regarding the "Americanizing" of the Container trailer, I should've clarified. I'm speaking of the chassis. The box is accurate. I figure it would look more appropriate behind an American made truck. If anything, I may end up scratchbuilding some chassis as the one in the kit is typical of European container chassis from what I can see. Usually American container chassis have the suspension all the way to the rear, not slightly forward as in the kit. And the rear of the frame needs to modified as well. Although there are different types, the kit really doesn't represent any I've seen here in the states. I would like to find different shipping company decals for it. KFS had a sheet for awhile, but I've not seen it since. Oh well.

There is a really cool use for the kit chassis if one is scratchbuilt. An old Car Modeler article shows how to make it into a logging trailer. The type pulled by a regular 5th wheel, not a pintle hook like the AMT logger.

Its interesting to learn about the changes in width between the 70s and 80s. The current Construction and Use regulations here in Britain allow 8' 4" (2.55m) and with a refrigerated unit 8' 6" (2.6m). I think the width is pretty universal in Europe but overall lengths do change. The maximum allowable length of a semi trailer is 13.6m or 45 feet nominal thereabouts. But there are no maximum height limits. I wonder how some of these dimensions compare with the "Italeri American Reefer Unit". I suspect that they may have taken a European refrigerated trailer specifications and added or made some changes that would make it look generically to the untrained eye like an American trailer. Why go to all the time trouble and expense to manufacture dies and tooling and not take the time to jump on an aeroplane to research the subject correctly to achieve the necessary accuracy modellers require? It makes no sense.

Best Wishes

Dave

I agree with what you're saying here. Although, they wouldn't even have to buy the plane ticket. A phone call/fax/some emails to Utility or Wabash National, perhaps Great Dane. They could've gotten some general dimensions. I have brochures from Utility that provide all sorts of dimensions. Generally the "box" itself is just over 9' ft tall without the suspension and framework. Usually 9'2"-9'4". Oh well. It probably was, as you theorized, a case of making it look close enough to an American trailer.

• 12 years later...

For what it’s worth, here’s a few ideas of mine.

You can mix and match as you “see” fit. If it looks “eye sweet” - well then, it works for you.

That being said, I myself, tend to notice some combos being a little off, enough to bother me and I try to avoid mixing the scales when it comes to the truck and trailer.

1. Less noticeable is when the trailer is 1/24 and the truck is 1/25, as trailers are inherently larger, and the 1/24 96” wide trailer looking like a more modern 102” with a 1/25 truck. 

2. Tankers are perfect for swapping scales, as it’s been said. Tanks come in varied capacities, perfect for being a little smaller or larger. 

3. How you display it. If the truck and trailer are displayed in a straight path, the height, length, and especially the width over the drive tires are more noticeable than if you are able to display them connected, but askew, like it’s in a turn where the truck is 45 degrees to the trailer.

It’s more difficult to discern the scale difference when the combo isn’t lined up. As a bonus, you can get that perfect 3/4 view on the truck cab, and the impressive view of the length of the side of the trailer. Granted, this takes up more space in depth, but it’ll shorten the width. 

On 7/15/2022 at 8:34 AM, Mopar - D said:

Here’s my 1/25 Lonestar with the 1/24 Beal tanker trailer. 

D78322E1-8422-4438-B701-7A53E1C66A5A.jpeg

FBD35EEB-99D6-4C77-A646-5BC42579090B.jpeg

4E2DAC41-299B-4A3E-AA9F-BB44AEE57333.jpeg

6545308F-5014-46CA-B1A5-71F40D80109E.jpeg

What is odd about this is, if you had asked me I would have said the truck is 1/24 and trailer is 1/25 because the trailer looks small behind the truck. 

I find Italeri tends to look bigger also. I have a 1/25 AMT 359 Pete and an 1/24 Italeri 359 Pete. Side by side there is a very very noticeable size difference. The Italeri dwarfs the AMT.