Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Holy Grail" Models?

On 12/17/2006 at 10:22 AM, MrObsessive said:

Well I got my latest grail via UPS just the other day. In the nice brown truck came Danbury's 1/12 scale '56 Corvette! :) I wanted their '57 when it came out early this year, but for some reason there was only a very short run on them and was soon cancelled, much to my chagrin. :D

Danbury sent me a mailing showing me this beauty and it was an instant GOTTA HAVE!!

Here's a few pics of what it looks like.............believe me when I tell you that everything works! The only thing this model doesn't do is run!

Ismael, if you're out there........you'll especially love this one! 😎

http://images20.fotki.com/v369/photos/2/250280/4393112/Pc170881-vi.jpg

http://images20.fotki.com/v367/photos/2/250280/4393112/Pc170882-vi.jpg

http://images20.fotki.com/v368/photos/2/250280/4393112/Pc170889-vi.jpg

http://images14.fotki.com/v371/photos/2/250280/4393112/Pc170899-vi.jpg

More can be seen here.

Now if they can just do a '55 or '57 T-Bird in that scale..........:lol:

Bill, that Vette looks great! But I got to ask..

Is the body fiberglass or die-cast metal?

I've always had a problem with metal model Corvettes.

1 hour ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Bill, that Vette looks great! But I got to ask..

Is the body fiberglass or die-cast metal?

I've always had a problem with metal model Corvettes.

It is diecast metal. ;)

As long as it looks right (it certainly does), I don't get crazed about whether it's fiberglass or not.

7 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

It is diecast metal. ;)

As long as it looks right (it certainly does), I don't get crazed about whether it's fiberglass or not.

It does look good. Do you still have it displayed? (it was posted 15 years ago)

I remember one of the premium collectible companies actually made a scale Corvette model with a fiberglass body! I've always thought, if I buy one, that would be the one I'd want to get.

1 hour ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

It does look good. Do you still have it displayed? (it was posted 15 years ago)

I remember one of the premium collectible companies actually made a scale Corvette model with a fiberglass body! I've always thought, if I buy one, that would be the one I'd want to get.

I originally sold it back in 2010 (or thereabouts) to a fellow in Great Britain. I got a lot more selling it than I originally paid for it.

I regretted it later on and have since got another one with the box and all. The next one I got didn't have the display base or cover, so I went and got a nice mirrored glass case for it.

Safe and sound from my nosy cats! ☺️

I've seen the fiberglass ones from Franklin Mint in 1/24 scale (a '63 Split Window Coupe). Not bad at all if not slightly off on the body lines. I haven't seen those listed in years and I can bet they go for a pretty penny these days, especially since neither Franklin Mint or Danbury are making model cars any longer.

1 hour ago, MrObsessive said:

Wouldn't you know it! I just looked on eBay and there are a number of those fiberglass 'Vettes on there. :D

This one here for instance doesn't look bad at all..........now I'm tempted!

Bill, I know your skills, you could probably layup your own scale fiberglass shell and create a better one! 👍😉

On 6/2/2021 at 2:29 PM, Jordan White said:

It's a great kit and I wish they would re-issue it, but alas the molds are most likely permanently in monster truck mode and won't be reverted back at all. I was lucky to find the weird "camper" High Sierra version of the kit at a hobby shop for $75, as well as find the stock grille and rollbar. I guess I would have considered this one of my "holy grail" kits before I found my kit since I love this generation of C/K, and being in 1/16 scale means I can have even more fun with the detailing.

True, and you're going to end up scratchbuilding and kitbashing 75% of the model anyway, but still, it's way less offensive than the monster truck version. Now, I'm guilty for having purchased and built the Swamp Monster version in the '80s, but I keep waiting for an original version to pop up on eBay...just need to be patient. 😊

53 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

One of Monogram's shortlived foray into metal kits was a '53 Corvette, but where the body was metal, everything else was plastic, so the almost complete opposite of the real thing.

"It's like RAY-EE-AIIIIIIIIN, on your wedding day...";):lol:

55 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

You mean it's unfortunate?

'Cause the only thing "ironic" in that song is she has no idea what the word actually means. 🙄

I heard someone say recently, "Ironically, although everyone knows exactly what 'ironic' means, no one can really define it." B):lol:

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

You mean it's unfortunate?

'Cause the only thing "ironic" in that song is she has no idea what the word actually means. 🙄

And to think, I once saw her get tossed out of the campus pub, for trying to use her 'pop star' reputation to get in while underage...

Wasn't THAT ironic! 😜

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I heard someone say recently, "Ironically, although everyone knows exactly what 'ironic' means, no one can really define it." B):lol:

I read that a few years ago a bunch of people got sick from food poisoning at a banquet. It was at a conference for food safety ,,, THAT"S ironic.  😉

https://www.eater.com/2014/9/25/6844271/food-poisoning-at-food-safety-conference

Edited by Can-Con