Model Cars Magazine Forum

SIDEBAR to "Best/Worst" winter vehicles...

You know, I saw something about that in the Cali Mountains this morning on CNN and I could have sworn I saw a late model crew cab Dakota (looked like it might have been 2wd too) that had the front tires chain up and it sounded like a few admitted that they didn't know which end of their vehicle needed to be chained up :ph34r:

Reminds me of this:

mustang_chains.jpg

:unsure:

They should take away that persons drivers licenses .

Maybe the Mustang driver was more interested in steering than accelerating. Same with the Durango.

As for the VW commercial, VW had one in the mid-60s that showed a VW going through the snow, and it said, "How does the snowplow driver get to the snowplow?" It shows the VW stop, the driver gets out, and the snowplow drives away. VW hasn't had great commericals like that in a long time.

Gary

P.S. Here in N. Texas, the TX DPS drive CVs and the Sheriff's Dept. drives Chargers. Local PD has CVs.

In 30 years of police work I have driven almost everything offered as a "police package".

Best: '94 Caprice 9C1, naturally GM perfected the platform, then quit building it.

Worst: '83 Dodge Diplomat, OMG!

The nut that holds the wheel is the most important part. If you cannot drive, don't go out.

That said I have driven several versions of Ford's CV. The current car is the best bet for all around performance whether it be urban, suburban, or rural. Space is definately an issue. When I started in '79 we had a radio and a siren. Now days there's a radio, or two or three (seriously, how many people can you talk to at one time?) a laptop, cellphone, siren/light controller, GPS, video cam, radar/laser/death ray etc etc etc. Put your own gear in there, and you can see where a big car makes sense.

Impalas hold their own, but IMHO that is/was the worst handling car I drove in a long time. EVIL! That new Caprice looks GOOD! Anything based on a Holden platform should perform well. If it holds up all the better.

Drove a few Chargers, big motors, lil motors, whatever. Not real impressed. Goes like stink in a straight line. Wouldn't want to crash it though. NO back seat space, tiny trunk, rear visibility nil.

My personal car is an '05 Town Car, one of the few I've owned that impresses me. Snowed like heck here last year, 6 inches in Henderson alone. Coming from the midwest I can drive (i think) in the snow. I had no issues except I ticked off a Henderson cop. On my way to work, 9pm, I got off the main drag and started "playing" drifting, sliding etc etc. Copper pulls up to me, starts to lecture and recognizes me from some in service training. Says " darnit Sarge, I thought I had a live one, you still drive like a cop"

Where do you live?! I wouldn't mind being pulled over by a Viper hehe.

Good ole Jackson, Michigan. Unfortunatly the Mustang, Vette and Viper are mostly for show, but they have brought them out for high speed chases. The Mustang is a 90 Notchback LX 5.0, confiscated in a drug raid, the Vette is a 79, also from a drug raid, and the Viper is a 94 and, you guessed it, drug raid.

Good ole Jackson, Michigan. Unfortunatly the Mustang, Vette and Viper are mostly for show, but they have brought them out for high speed chases. The Mustang is a 90 Notchback LX 5.0, confiscated in a drug raid, the Vette is a 79, also from a drug raid, and the Viper is a 94 and, you guessed it, drug raid.

THAT'S BAD A--!

They should take away that persons drivers licenses .

They should take away that person's Mustang and give them back the Honda that they traded in on it. :P

As for the VW commercial, VW had one in the mid-60s that showed a VW going through the snow, and it said, "How does the snowplow driver get to the snowplow?" It shows the VW stop, the driver gets out, and the snowplow drives away. VW hasn't had great commericals like that in a long time.

Gary

Maybe that's because VW hasn't had any great cars like that in a long time. ;)

Well, two out of three isn't bad.........wonder how many people would just laugh at the sight of that Vette in their mirror........well, if it's stock anyway.

Well, two out of three isn't bad.........wonder how many people would just laugh at the sight of that Vette in their mirror........well, if it's stock anyway.

They're all bone stock except for paint, lightbars and the usual police goodies. Engines haven't been touched.

like I said, they're mostly for show.

Ah, that could suck for the cop in the Vette then, my sister smoked one of the Pace Car versions pretty bad a few years back with her now decieced Cherokee Briarwood in an impromptue street fight, apparently She didn't even realise they guy was racing her until her ex's mom (they were following in the Taurus he used to own) told he she did a good job pissing off the guy in the Vette when they got back to her apartment:lol:

Edited by Joe Handley