Model Cars Magazine Forum

McLaren MP4/6 Long Term WIP

Scale-Master

As I mentioned on the other forum, apparently the only aftermarket parts are a few decals; the rest is a Master Class in what careful prepping and fine painting selection and technique can achieve.

Again, just magnificent. And I might add that this is the epitome of a proper Work in Progress thread.

Edited by sjordan2

• 5 weeks later...

Finally the body has the paint on it. Tamiya Pure White and Fluorescent Red. The nose has the decals and final clear coat on it...

DSC09601.jpg

DSC09602.jpg

The lettering on the wings cracked several months after being clear coated with the Tamiya clear, so I hand painted the lettering and re-cleared with urethane. This picture is before clear coating.

DSC09600.jpg

• 5 months later...

I had some paint issues that necessitated stripping some parts and sanding out others and repainting them. The rear wing end plates had to be stripped and I had to make replacement decals since they are not available from Tamiya now. The C/F decals are SMS. A few more days of cure time and maybe I can assemble the rear wing I started about a year and a half ago…

DSC00067.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally (!), I was able to fix the paint that was not drying correctly. I sanded out the cracked areas on the nose section and repainted it. You can see it was being problematic for a while and that I had tried to repaint it before by the “tree rings”. Here is how nasty it was looking while being sanded out and reworked…

DSC09935.jpg

As for the main red section of the body, I sanded out part of it and found that TS-36 can be successfully blended into finished areas of the same paint, so I only had to paint part of that big area. I applied the paint very, very slowly this time only by airbrush over an 8 hour period, lightly building it up and paying close attention to the blend lines. Once it proves to me that it is stable, I’ll move onto decals and clear coat…

DSC09897.jpg

DSC09898.jpg