Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

Guys, I guess the Downriver area's FINALLY gettin their own HL store! It's only about a mile from our ONLY other Hobby shop, Down River Hobbies(formerly Riders). How do they work, do they accept others coupons? like Micheal's accepts JoAnn's Fabrics coupons? They had a 30% off coupon in Sunday's Free Press, but ONLY on stuff not on sale, but THE WHOLE store's stuff was on sale, so it seemed kinda pointless. Do they post coupons in the papers? Do they have in store sales? You know, not in the paper,but you gotta GO there to find them? What is their usual discount on models? I've never been to one,the closest I've heard of is one in Toledo, about an hour away. What the story on 'em guys???smile.gifwink.gif

I go to the local one here all the time. Thye generally have a good selection on models and at better prices then small hobby shops. However if your looking for a particular kit don't expect to find it there. They do have instore sales in their clearance aisle and most of the time they have old models or lasts years models on sale there. The also have discounts on plastic kits about once every 2 months and around christmas time. Usually it will be printed in the weekend ad or on their website. Also every other week they print a 30-40% off coupon on any single item in their ad. I have seen 50% off coupons before aswell but harder to come by. As for accepting other coupons im not sure, i think they accept manufacturer coupons. I think that should answer most of your questions. Almost forgot they are closed on Sundays, atleast the one here is anyways.

Hey George, HL isn't bad, they usually have a decent selection. They usually have 40% off coupons in Sunday's paper, but sign up for their emails & you can print it at home. Only good on one regularly priced item. Their kits are usually priced at full retail, but 40% off is less than the regular hobby shops. Our local HL does not accept competitors coupons, I tried :P

They do sometimes have a few closeout kits, I've seen them for $5 before.

Hi George....We have a HL store here, When they came to town with 10 and 15 dollar kits they put the other stores out of the model business,And now their 10 has gone to 17 or so and the 15 has gone to 25 to 40 dollar kits OUCH! They do however have good sales which is when to buy usually every other week they have a coupon you can use on any model kits that are not already on sale. Unfortunately ours is down sizing their model kit line and hasn't got much over the last year other than tuner cars-models of the new year cars-ships-air planes but only get 2or3 at a time of most. They do carry a large paint and supply section though. Hopefully yours will be better than ours,But still it is better than nothing around here.

HL in Ocala is garbage for kits. They have few selections and the same kits are there month after month. No way I would spend the money they want for a kit without using the 40% coupon - that's good on only 1 item. I've printed several coupons in the past, pay for an item, leave the store, have cigarette (sorry), go back in and get something else. After 3 or 4 trips they get upset and tell I can't do that. So I don't - until the next time. The coupon says only one coupon per day so I guess they were giving me a break.

THANKS guys!!! This is EXACTLY what I wanted to know! Yeah, I NEVER buy kits at Micheal's WITHOUT a coupon! Guess I'm just gettin cheaper as I get older! Just can't see payin 24.95 for a kit! HL JUST opened Friday of last week, an I didn't wanna get swamped on the FIRST day! Hopefully it won't be as crazy during the next week. I SURE HOPE it won't put our local handy dandy hobby shop out of buisness!!!smile.gifwink.gif

Guest promodmerc

THANKS guys!!! This is EXACTLY what I wanted to know! Yeah, I NEVER buy kits at Micheal's WITHOUT a coupon! Guess I'm just gettin cheaper as I get older! Just can't see payin 24.95 for a kit! HL JUST opened Friday of last week, an I didn't wanna get swamped on the FIRST day! Hopefully it won't be as crazy during the next week. I SURE HOPE it won't put our local handy dandy hobby shop out of buisness!!!smile.gifwink.gif

Hobby Lobby here is horrible for getting new kits in. They have yet to get the Revell '32 5 window in that has been out for 6 months. They just in the last month got the Round 2 re-issue of the '70 Super Bee and they want $17.99 as appopsed to the LHS which gas it for $15.99

Different HL price kits more than their other locatations. The above mentioned '70 Super Bee is 19.99 at one of them. :unsure:

The model Selection in HL depends on the department manager. if he or she is into models or hobbies like that they have a better selection. I have been told if you ask the manager they will also order it for you. Their prices around here are compareble to any hobby shop and usually cheaper on the kits. I just don't buy many kits any more since Hobbico bought Revell. most of the AMT stuff I didn't buy unless it was a subject I really wanted, Since Hobbico took over Revell they have jacked the price of the kits up to the $25 range and make it tough for anybody to get models .

Hobby Lobby is headquartered here in Oklahoma. Model selection does vary from store to store. That said, they typically carry most of the current Revell line with a smattering of issues from Round 2 and Lindberg. They also carry a select few Tamiya and Aoshima kits. The ones near me have the Tamiya Nissan GT-R kit which would be a great deal with a 40% off coupon. They also have a good selection of military and avaiation model kits if you are into that.

Other model related items include Testors paints (including Model Master and One Coat lacquers), Paasche and Iwata airbrushes, air compressors, Alumilite resin kits, Excel tools and a small assortment of K&S tubing. Thinking outside the box, go to the beading department for fine gauge wire and small zipper bags for storage. Krylon paints are available if that is your choice too. Some folks use embossing powder instead of flocking. You can get it there too. Just stroll thru the crafts department and see what is available.

I don't buy many current kits these days, but I'm always there for the Testors paints, CA glues, airbrush supplies and other miscellaneous stuff with the 40% off coupon.

Hobby Lobby here is horrible for getting new kits in. They have yet to get the Revell '32 5 window in that has been out for 6 months. They just in the last month got the Round 2 re-issue of the '70 Super Bee and they want $17.99 as appopsed to the LHS which gas it for $15.99

Different HL price kits more than their other locatations. The above mentioned '70 Super Bee is 19.99 at one of them. B)

That Super Bee kit is only $10.79 with the coupon! :)

The model Selection in HL depends on the department manager. if he or she is into models or hobbies like that they have a better selection. I have been told if you ask the manager they will also order it for you. Their prices around here are compareble to any hobby shop and usually cheaper on the kits. I just don't buy many kits any more since Hobbico bought Revell. most of the AMT stuff I didn't buy unless it was a subject I really wanted, Since Hobbico took over Revell they have jacked the price of the kits up to the $25 range and make it tough for anybody to get models .

We have quite a few HL's around Atlanta, and it is quite clear that some are far better than others for kit selection. It all depends on the particular store. It would be awful if the only local store was one of the ones with a poor selection. But I've seen stores with a previously excellent selection slowly go downhill. Must be either a change in management, or they've seen a drop in overall sales.

HL has always priced their kits slightly under full retail, but they have those sales & coupons. Occasionally a store will have a kit mis-priced. If it's that important, check with a manager, they can find out what it should sell for.

AMT/Round2 kits are about to see a Revell-like spike in prices, in the range of 20-30% across the board (as claimed by a large online retailer that sells their product line). Round 2 claims they'll continue to undercut Revell. Get what you want now if you don't want to pay the larger premium in the very near future...

George, have you been to Nankin Hobby (Ford Rd. and Wayne Rd), that's the only "true" hobby store in my area...its actually part of an ACE hardware. All kinds of modeling supplies and goodies but their kits are quite pricey although they always seem to have the latest releases.

As an aside, I understand that Michael's has clearanced a lot of kits and did find several that were marked down to $9.99 (of course, ones that I already have B) )

The HL here has a great kit and supplies selection. The biggest problem with HL is that they're closed on Sundays.

And like someone else said... check out the other aisles. There are tons of things scattered throughout the store, in areas you might not think of, that have items that can be used in modeling. The jewelry aisles, in particular... all sorts of little detailing items, a wide selection of wire (colors, aluminum, copper, etc.) that can be used for wiring models (and WAY cheaper per foot than aftermarket wire), tools like cutters and needlenose pliers, etc. I even found some "mother of pearl" looking paper in the scrapbooking aisle (I used it on a model's dashboard), and leather upholstery material in the fabric section.

I've noticed that a lot of local (Houston area) Hobby Lobby stores have a Clearance area near one of the back corners of the store. They used to keep the yellow-tagged clearance kits on the model aisle or on an end cap nearby, but they seem to be moving them all to the clearance area now. Just something to remember when you go in and don't see any deals on the model aisle.

Guest promodmerc

I've noticed that a lot of local (Houston area) Hobby Lobby stores have a Clearance area near one of the back corners of the store. They used to keep the yellow-tagged clearance kits on the model aisle or on an end cap nearby, but they seem to be moving them all to the clearance area now. Just something to remember when you go in and don't see any deals on the model aisle.

I have got some really good deals on kits & Iwata air brush parts in the clearence section. Some HL put the clearence modles on an end cap where the models are. You just have to look.

Also this week all Excel products are 50% off. You can never have too many blades or knives. I got a smoking deal a couple of months ago on the double blade knife. They are around $25 normal. The HL closest to me had mis marked one at $10 and they were 50% off that week. I have had the same luck on kits too.

Hobby Lobby accepts only Hobby Lobby coupons, but they do have their model kits on sale for 30% off about once every five weeks. That's not bad since you can buy as many as you want for 30% off, versus only one item (well, more if you print multiple coupons and have your wife/girlfriend/husband/partner/child use another coupon in a separate transaction.

The HL in West Bend, WI I visit has a good selection of current domestic kits, and usually has all the Round2 stuff on hand. I've seen Trumpeter kits, as well an Tamiya and Aoshima, though maybe three Japanese-sourced kits at most at any one time.

You can view their weekly flier at www.hobbbylobby.com and see what's on sale and what this week's coupon is good toward. It seems the generic 40% off coupon comes around once a month or so, and it's here this week: http://hobbylobby.com/weekly/coupon.cfm

If you're eyeing up that 1/8 Revell Big T (which they sell for about $100.00), that's only $60 with the coupon!

HL has enough craft and hooby stuff to keep you busy looking for hours. Magnifying lenses, resin casting supplies, brass and aluminum rod/tubing/shapes, storage containers (great for getting your parts boxes organized), paints, airbrushes, etc., etc.

Edited by Casey

Hobby Lobby is headquartered here in Oklahoma. Model selection does vary from store to store. That said, they typically carry most of the current Revell line with a smattering of issues from Round 2 and Lindberg. They also carry a select few Tamiya and Aoshima kits. The ones near me have the Tamiya Nissan GT-R kit which would be a great deal with a 40% off coupon. They also have a good selection of military and avaiation model kits if you are into that.

Other model related items include Testors paints (including Model Master and One Coat lacquers), Paasche and Iwata airbrushes, air compressors, Alumilite resin kits, Excel tools and a small assortment of K&S tubing. Thinking outside the box, go to the beading department for fine gauge wire and small zipper bags for storage. Krylon paints are available if that is your choice too. Some folks use embossing powder instead of flocking. You can get it there too. Just stroll thru the crafts department and see what is available.

I don't buy many current kits these days, but I'm always there for the Testors paints, CA glues, airbrush supplies and other miscellaneous stuff with the 40% off coupon.

you're from oklahoma? what part? im in the city right over by dell....

The reason Hobby Lobby is closed on Sunday is that they, (the owners) believe Sunday should be reserved as a time of worship. I believe I read somewhere that the people who own Hobby Lobby are Seventh Day Adventists.

John

If they were Seventh Day they would closed on Saturday (the seventh day of the week). I believe the founder is an Evangelical Christian.

glenn

BTW They will order any quantity of kit that they stock.You just have to ask. And they will give you a raincheck on out of stock kits during the 30/40% SALE weeks.