Model Cars Magazine Forum

a little update.. I enlisted today

Congratulations! Just remember- they're not really going to punch you in basic training. It's all a mind game. They will push you to your limits and beyond.

Go for a duty station overseas. You've got the rest of your life to see America. Uncle Sam will pay you to live in another country. You can't take a bus trip to the Paris Air Show from Fort Hood.

If you never fire a shot in anger, remember it's because you're a part of the best military in the world, and that's why not many want to mess with you.

Congratulations James and thank you. About 40 years ago I was a forward observer for a 105mm battery. The gun grunts of the 1st Battalion/13th Marines could pump out rounds all day and night when needed. They were fantastic to work with.

Don't know much about the Army - except they Ain't Ready for Marines Yet.

Best of luck to you.

Edited by crazyjim

Congratulations James, and thank you for your willingness to serve and for your dedication to our country. My son spent four years in the Air Force and his enlistment was one of the proudest days of my life. I salute you!

Congratulations James and thank you. About 40 years ago I was a forward observer for a 105mm battery. The gun grunts of the 1st Battalion/13th Marines could pump out rounds all day and night when needed. They were fantastic to work with.

Don't know much about the Army - except they Ain't Ready for Marines Yet.

Best of luck to you.

Jim I have been reading alot lately about the Vietnam "conflict" definitely interesting. Mostly autobiography stuff. I wasn't born until 68 but my dad almost reuped to go over as a sniper...

Kinda glad he didnt...

Shane - "conflict" is the wrong word - use "WAR"! And was is hell! Going to boot camp was the first time I was away from home without Mom & Dad. I was scared. We learned real quick to take care of each other to stay alive. The worst part was coming back to the States (we referred to it as The World). People treated us like garbage. They spit on us and called us nasty names. We just did what we were told. I starting working in 1970 and nobody knew I was a Vietnam Veteran until 1982 when I went to the dedication of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial (The Wall).

Thankfully, and I believe it's because us Vietnam Veterans, present military are treated with the respect and honor they deserve. Look at all the positive postings here for James. They won't be scourned and ridiculed when they return from serving their country.

There are a ton of books and movies about the Vietnam War. One of the best, in my opinion, was Phil Caputo's "A Rumor of War". His outfit was basecamped almost exactly where I was - but he was there several years before me.

Shane - "conflict" is the wrong word - use "WAR"! And was is hell! Going to boot camp was the first time I was away from home without Mom & Dad. I was scared. We learned real quick to take care of each other to stay alive. The worst part was coming back to the States (we referred to it as The World). People treated us like garbage. They spit on us and called us nasty names. We just did what we were told. I starting working in 1970 and nobody knew I was a Vietnam Veteran until 1982 when I went to the dedication of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial (The Wall).

Thankfully, and I believe it's because us Vietnam Veterans, present military are treated with the respect and honor they deserve. Look at all the positive postings here for James. They won't be scourned and ridiculed when they return from serving their country.

There are a ton of books and movies about the Vietnam War. One of the best, in my opinion, was Phil Caputo's "A Rumor of War". His outfit was basecamped almost exactly where I was - but he was there several years before me.

I agree Jim Hence the "" around conflict. The books Ive read really tell the true feelings and accounts of what happened. I will definitely go find the book your suggesting.

There are some of us while too young to have been alive when you were there will always be proud of your service.

James forgive me for railroading your thread It wasn't my intent. I just always make it a point to remember the guys who went to Vietnam and say something to them as well.

Edited by TxRat

Just a question? Why is it that most people join the Army or the Marines? What is wrong with the Air Force or Navy? It seems you never hear of someone joining either of those to branches. Good luck in you new adventure.

The reason I didnt join the Air Force or NAvy is very simple..

I'm too old!! I'm 33, max enlistment age for Air Force and Navy is 29.

besides the age deal, the Navy and Air Force are more technical and are harder to get in.