Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who rides bicycles here?

I have a "newish" Trek 21 speed mountain bike, and an old Motobecane 10 speed from back when I was a kid (mid '70s). I used to ride it all the time, sometimes for 20-30 miles at a stretch. Then a few years ago I put the Trek away for the winter... and haven't ridden since. I really don't know why. I'll have to dust that baby off and get back to riding regularly, which was probably the only good habit I had!

As far as the Motobecane, it's a really nice bike, beautiful candy blue. It's in good shape, even though I put a lot of miles on it back in the day. I wonder if it's worth anything to a collector?

That might look good next to my blue Peugeot. How tall is your Motobecane? I can go as high as a 24-25 inch seat tube with maybe a 33 to 34 inch standover.

Here is a cool website I found one day. Old Ten Speeds

My 10 speed is a 1978 Schwinn Superior that I bought new. Still ride it regularly, I have it torn apart right now to repack bearings & such. Last year I purchased a 1960 Schwinn Tiger middle weight cruiser. I overhauled it mechanically but left the 50 year old patina. It is a blast to ride but not on to long a trip. What makes it really cool is it has a late 60's Bendix 2-speed axle.

John Strick

That might look good next to my blue Peugeot. How tall is your Motobecane? I can go as high as a 24-25 inch seat tube with maybe a 33 to 34 inch standover.

Here is a cool website I found one day. Old Ten Speeds

Andy, the Motobecane is a 27" with an extra long seat post (I'm 6'7" and that's mostly leg). That bike has seen many miles without a single problem. Beautiful bike.

Does anyone remember the Yamaha Motobike from the seventies??

de74ja05.jpg

motob.jpg

I had the good fortune to own one during my preteen years - rode the tires right off of it(literally)!! After I got my driver's license and the distractions of school/work/truck ownership/girls took over, I was persuaded to give it to charity when it sat unused for some time - there has been the occasional regret over that!!!

I currently have a Chinese "mass-merchandiser"-branded mountain bike - about as much of a precision piece as a lead pipe, but it does give my middle-aged butt some exercise....

Edited by lizardlust

I'm on my third bike as an adult--first was a 1970 Schwinn Continental 10spd, bright lemon yellow--sold it to a nephew in 1997, as I was riding a Giant Butte 21spd mountain bike. That gave way to my current ride, a 2008 Iron Horse Maverick 4.2, three springer mountain/off-road bike, disc brakes, 24spds.

Biking everywhere I can is one of my passions in life--keeps me pretty healthy and strong too.

AArt

my cousin had one of these in the early 80's B) we lowered the seat all the way down to the fender and it had a fat "slick" on the back. you could ride some mean wheelies with that thing! i think the slick the way it was kind of squared across it's tread area made it easier. with the handlebars angled forward it was a "cool" ride back then.

Dave

I used to be able to ride a wheelie for a long way back then. "Stingray" type bikes were all the rage and I was pretty good at doing wheelies. My buddy Jose Gamboa had a gold Stingray, don't remember the brand, but I could ride that baby on the back wheel almost down the whole block! Good times! This thread is bringing back so many great memories... B)

When I was a kid Raleigh had a bike that I suppose was a response to Schwinn's Krates... it had a very unusual "wedge" type frame. For the life of me I can't remember what it was called. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

That was the Raleigh Chopper. I see them on Ebay occasionally.

That's a tall Motobecane you got there, Stretch! I am 5'9" and don't think the seat could go low enough! Bummer. B)

Very cool thread, I was riding a modern mountain bike (not happily) until my son found me a new bike at a garage sale for $10.00. B)

I've done a bit of work since the pics were taken but it's an absolutely gorgeous 1972 Peugeot AO8 or UO8.

DSC00811.jpg

DSC00812.jpg

DSC00815.jpg

DSC00813.jpg

DSC00814.jpg

I've also got an early '80's Raleigh 10 speed project bike hanging in the garage.

Edited by FORDSVTPARTS

Great stuff guys! I love the stories and pics! I had a old BMX that my dad got at Big wheel when they were closing for $10. I rode the dickens out of that thing! I had a stingray before that, but being younger then most yall I think, that was a dweeb bike! LOL. was so happy to get that thing. Yeah, the wheelie thing was easy for me. Esp. when I got older and into motorcycles! LOL. Rode one the length of the main hallway in front of the principals office. Yes, you read that right, in side the school! LOL. The rest of the time going to school, they never could get the burn out patch out of that white floor! HEHEHE! When I was about twelve, thats when I got my first mountain bike. Thats when I went from a three mile ride to much much more! LOL. As a young adult, that bike had gone with me and I had gone so far as 30 miles on it for fun! Sure miss them days! Being DR. D tells me I have to exercise, its time to get back to it! Jody

When I was a kid Raleigh had a bike that I suppose was a response to Schwinn's Krates... it had a very unusual "wedge" type frame. For the life of me I can't remember what it was called. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Yes, you mean the Raleigh Chopper:

chopper-orange.jpg

Edited by Junkman

I wish I could ride a bicycle. Even with training wheels, I had all kinds of trouble staying upright, and as an adult, it hasn't gotten better.

I've toyed very seriously with getting one of those delivery tricycles some bike shops sell, just for doing local trips and to do something besides drive all the time. A couple summers ago when gas hit the moon, I almost did it, but storage was (and still is) a problem.

Perhaps this summer if more work comes in.

Charlie Larkin

A company called Xonex made 1/6 scale diecast models of all the Schwinn "Krates"... I have the Apple Krate (not this one, I found this photo online). They are very detailed, pretty cool models. Hard to find these days... they pop up on ebay once in a while, but not very often.

apple-krate.jpg

Well, I picked up a womens Womens road master today for free needing rims and a old sheffield free spirit looks like maybe late 60's? Today. I think I want to restore that one. Will need front forks and rime and tire and front gear. Everything else looks in good restorable condition. The fenders are rusty, but I can try to make due with them as a rat bike so to speek. Also the one investigator for a PD said they have almost 40 bikes and was looking for someplace to dump them too. I said I would love to take them. So he told me to expect a call in a couple of weeks! Jody

I built my daughter a old stingray from a old frame and parts brought on ebay. It took me almost a year to built it the way she wanted, but I got done.

post-3862-12707059055065_thumb.jpg

I also have other bikes from when my son raced BMX. I have them hanging on the wall of my garage a Schwinn Super Sport and BOSS frame. The BOSS frame was built here in Livermore where I live.

Edited by Tony N

I wish I could ride a bicycle. Even with training wheels, I had all kinds of trouble staying upright, and as an adult, it hasn't gotten better.

I've toyed very seriously with getting one of those delivery tricycles some bike shops sell, just for doing local trips and to do something besides drive all the time. A couple summers ago when gas hit the moon, I almost did it, but storage was (and still is) a problem.

Perhaps this summer if more work comes in.

Charlie Larkin

Well Charlie, what you need to get is one of these bad boys!! :D

100_7109-1.jpg

Yes, I would never fathom a small town PD collecting near 40 in only one year! OMG :blink: I may have something here for parts anyways! LOL. WOW! I really cant begin to fathom a cities worth in one year now!!! Jody

I heard a story from a guy who I worked with a few years ago. He did a little time for drug posession and was at a boot camp type place. One of the things they did was repaint bikes yellow for a bike loaner program. They had so many donated bikes left over they scrapped all of them. In a roll-off dumpster they loaded them with a loader and used the bucket to mash them all down flat so they could get them all in. I just about cried. :o:D