Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who rides bicycles here?

I have limited access to someone who does welding, my grandfather. But I do not have one! Really would like to get one! I know I am currently sacrifing my model hobby to afford some tools of the trade esp. a manual tube bender hopefully and enough good parts to complete my first scratch built project here! If you know where I can get a welder or tube bender cheap, I am all ears! LOL. Jody

Yes, I have a coup[le of different sized tubes and wondering about bolting/welding someting up. Dont really want to spend $100 right now being unemployed! I want to make money! LOL. I also have a old tranny lift that is jack mounted and I keep looking at that for ideas too? Sooner or later I will come up with something! I also have two big pieces of 1/4 thick flat stock. So I may try to build something yet! Unfortunately, my drill just bit the dust tonight trying to drill a hole in a piece of flat stock so I can make a fork jig for keeping forks straight when they are welded!Will have stepped holes in it eventually for different offsets up to a 4" offset.If I decide to get into larger offsets, I am sure I can take more and drill more holesto bolt onto it! Also trying to make a mounting bracket for a old fork for me to bolt it to the bench for trueing rims. A little as I go! LOL. I have to say, this bike hobby thing is fun. Esp. creating tools that someone charges a arm and a leg for, or in some cases, two arms and a leg! LOL. Jody

Since this is about bikes I thought I'd post this info here just in case anyone in the Phoenix area might want to do this bike ride.

Every year Valley Metro does the "Great Bike Chase" you meet at a city park and they have all kinds of fun stuff to do and then you ride to the Ball park and watch a D-Backs game all for $16 we have done it a few times and I'm thinking about doing it again.

Here is a photo of the 4 wheel bike at the park before I put the top back on it.

100_6775.jpg

the bender in the Ebay listing looks to be for thin wall "tube" like copper or conduit. Shane mentioned that there is a difference between tube and pipe and there is although it could be a bit difficult to explain. that bender may work well for some small thin wall stuff that's relatively "soft" but it wont work for heavier, larger diameter tube made from harder materials.

Dave

Right. That bender wont bend heavy wall tubing.

you can go cheap and buy a harbor freight pipe bender and go your local hardware store and buy pipe bend it weld it up and and have you a two hundred pound bike, or you can spend the money and find you a jd2 bender or equivalent and buy some DOM or ERW tubing and build a light and much stronger bike.

I build mini chopper frames and I used to build race car chassis.

Heres some of my work, Im no Jesse James or Jimmy Shine...

nailhead4.jpg

bones.jpg

transmount.jpg

Not trying to discourage you, just inform you. Fabrication tools aren't cheap. be prepared to spend the cash to get the right tools...

Edited by TxRat

Yes, tube and pipe, ones measured ID and the other OD, but where does one stop and one start etc. LOL. For right now, conduit is what Im using if its not tubes from other bikes. Heres the other one I was looking at. Thanks for all of the comments and trying to help! I really wish I had a job so I could afford the good stuff! Then again, if I had a job, I certainly wouldnt have time to be torying around with all kinds of fun things! LOL. Jody

Yes, tube and pipe, ones measured ID and the other OD, but where does one stop and one start etc. LOL. For right now, conduit is what Im using if its not tubes from other bikes. Heres the other one I was looking at. Thanks for all of the comments and trying to help! I really wish I had a job so I could afford the good stuff! Then again, if I had a job, I certainly wouldnt have time to be torying around with all kinds of fun things! LOL. Jody

Jody, there's more than ID vs OD to pipe and tubing. Conduit? plan on taking if off any sweet jumps :)

Edited by TxRat

By the way, forgot to add pic to my new toy. Its a Schwinn Orange County Choppers stingray. I got it in rideable condition for $10. Here you can see the short ape hangers I have added. Just made a new curved seat post to sit be way back further over the rear fender. Now I making a new saddle seat for it. Pics to come when done. Thinking of trying to spin on a 5 speed cassette and bolt on derailer for the back. Not sure about adding to gears up front or not? still looking for good stuff for it! also looking for some tols of the trade now! LOL. Jody

Check me if I'm wrong here, but isn't steel conduit actually "mild steel"? If so, nowhere near strong enough for a bicycle frame, particularly a front fork (not without some triangulation!). Most bicycle frames today are either aluminum alloy or chrome-moly steel, as I understand it. Both have their advantages, both have their disadvantages.

Aluminum alloy, especially when used for the frames of discount-store price level bikes, has a nasty tendency to come apart at the welds--there have been numerous recalls of cheaper alloy bikes due to broken welds at high-stress points in the frame (notably at the stem--up front, where the top of the fork comes through, up to the handlebars, and at the bottom, where the bottom tube and the central vertical tube -- the one that holds the seat -- where they meet the crank housing--neither is a pretty thing if they break while one is riding! This is why alloy bike frames are made of larger diameter tubing, and often a lot of overlaid, welded in place, gusseting has to be used.

Chrome moly tubing has similar issues, but at least this material can be re-heat treated after welding, which pretty much eliminates the cracking and breaking of welded joints in this material, as I understand it.

Those classic older bikes from the 50's on back to the beginning relied on brazing the joints, particularly those with "lugged" joints between the various components of the frame, again as I remember it. This was certainly true of the early "English Bikes" that were first imported (such as Hercules, Raleigh and the like) and then produced here, again as I remember it.

I've an acquaintance here locally who is one of the top touring/racing bicycle custom builders in the World (Cherry Bicycles). John, last time I talked to him, was still using chrome moly, welded, refused to even consider alloy, and for sure he does not use conduit.

Art

Yes, and I never said I was useing conduit. But looking at the conduit bender as I was told on a bike forum it would handle the steel too. <any use regular steel or stainless steel for creating bikes. we are not talking touring bikes or race bikes. Certainly higher strenth but lighter materials are needed for those kind of bikes! However, I have no interest in them except pulling the occasional one out of the drink and fixing it up to sell. Thanks. Jody

Check me if I'm wrong here, but isn't steel conduit actually "mild steel"? If so, nowhere near strong enough for a bicycle frame, particularly a front fork (not without some triangulation!). Most bicycle frames today are either aluminum alloy or chrome-moly steel, as I understand it. Both have their advantages, both have their disadvantages.

Aluminum alloy, especially when used for the frames of discount-store price level bikes, has a nasty tendency to come apart at the welds--there have been numerous recalls of cheaper alloy bikes due to broken welds at high-stress points in the frame (notably at the stem--up front, where the top of the fork comes through, up to the handlebars, and at the bottom, where the bottom tube and the central vertical tube -- the one that holds the seat -- where they meet the crank housing--neither is a pretty thing if they break while one is riding! This is why alloy bike frames are made of larger diameter tubing, and often a lot of overlaid, welded in place, gusseting has to be used.

Chrome moly tubing has similar issues, but at least this material can be re-heat treated after welding, which pretty much eliminates the cracking and breaking of welded joints in this material, as I understand it.

Those classic older bikes from the 50's on back to the beginning relied on brazing the joints, particularly those with "lugged" joints between the various components of the frame, again as I remember it. This was certainly true of the early "English Bikes" that were first imported (such as Hercules, Raleigh and the like) and then produced here, again as I remember it.

I've an acquaintance here locally who is one of the top touring/racing bicycle custom builders in the World (Cherry Bicycles). John, last time I talked to him, was still using chrome moly, welded, refused to even consider alloy, and for sure he does not use conduit.

Art

Art,

All good points. Most bikes today that come from overseas (IE Department store) are not chrome moly but are mild steel, thus the weight. I still have my 82 gt santa ana frame from when I raced BMX and the frame weighs just a few pounds. I also have a GT santa ana 24 cruiser built up that weighs less than my son's 20"bare GT dirt frame alone. Both are chrome moly and I'll admit the 20" took some abuse from me and has a crack where the rear tubes for the rear triangle meet the seat tube(I think this came about from using z rims and tacoing the snot out of them doing kick outs into garbage cans ). the 24" still gets jumped off curbs and is a beast(hey Im 41, Give me a break).

The problem with conduit is its malable (SP) in that its soft and designed to bend. All great stuff for when running wire for the new washing machine or lights. for a frame even triangulating it wont keep it from tweaking even if its not abused. its very thin and hard to weld as blow through can occur due to lack of heat control from inexperienced welder. not to mention that most conduit is galvanized and is just plain nasty to weld. (don't inhale the green smoke)

Jody it sounds your going to do what you want to do. I would strongly advise against conduit and instead find a scrap steel yard and get in with proprietor and see if he'll let you dig around for cut off and drops for your needs. If that doesn't work, cut up old bikes for what you need. you can get them by the truck loads at the local police auction..

LOL. Yes I have bothered the local steel man for scraps several times so far. I have picked up around 9 bikes so far. Two are getting fixed up. One is a Pinnacle touring bike in great shape, so not much there to do. Other will be wifes bike. But this way, I have free stuff to cut up and use! One pd is talking about giving me nearly 40 bikes. waiting for info on local auction too. You are right, thats the best way. Because then Ill also get rims and cassettes and cranks and bars and seats! LOL. Jody

• 3 weeks later...

I traded a really crappy muncie trans that I had laying around for a little flux-core MIG welder a few weeks ago and I've been itchin' for a chance to try it out.

On the way home from grocery shopping on Saturday, I spotted 2 mountain bikes in the trash for bulk pick up day and it got the cogs turning in my head.

This brave little soul gave up its life,

100_3203.jpg

so I could build this:

100_3202.jpg

Oh yeah, I'll be gettin' all the chicks now! :lol:

I built one of these in metal shop in 9th grade and left it at my friend's house. His father threw it out when they moved and I have been missing it ever since.

I still have to do some work on it and I would like to hook a derailleur up on the back, but I just can't bring myself to spend 10 bucks on a new chain right now...

LOL. Very cool! I like how ya flipped the bottom frame upside down! I am still waiting impatiently to get my new welder. Hopefully in a week give or take on the weather so I can finish a painting job on a house. I have a kids bike and a womens mountain bike that gave thier lives so I can make a boys chopper with raked front end. I also am making a stretched frame now, as well as my schwinn conversion and my original chopper. I think nextt hings I will cut up will be to make a girls chopper, useing a kids bike and a womens ten speed front half.I am eager for many projects. I also am thinking up a tubular frame design to the street fox trike. Still cutting out a 15 inch car rim for the chopper! LOL. TYours looks fun to ride, so I may follow suite as well! LOL. Jody

LOL. Very cool! I like how ya flipped the bottom frame upside down! I am still waiting impatiently to get my new welder. Hopefully in a week give or take on the weather so I can finish a painting job on a house. I have a kids bike and a womens mountain bike that gave thier lives so I can make a boys chopper with raked front end. I also am making a stretched frame now, as well as my schwinn conversion and my original chopper. I think nextt hings I will cut up will be to make a girls chopper, useing a kids bike and a womens ten speed front half.I am eager for many projects. I also am thinking up a tubular frame design to the street fox trike. Still cutting out a 15 inch car rim for the chopper! LOL. TYours looks fun to ride, so I may follow suite as well! LOL. Jody

That sounds cool. Be sure to post some pictures when you're done!

I want to make a chopper bike eventually too, but maybe a 3 wheeled one...

One tip, if you do decide to make an "upside down" bike: Make sure the tubing you use between the handlebars and the forks is pretty strong or it will be very weird to ride.

My first one had really thin tubing that flexed a lot and it was kind of scary. And, to make matters worse, it had a steering wheel instead of handlebars. Also, don't put the seat too far back or it will want to pull wheelies all of the time, and when you're up that high, wheelies are no fun!

I want to put a steering wheel on this one, too, but I don't have any right now that I'm willing to ruin. I'm thinking of making one out of a section of chain that I have, but the chain is a bit thick.

It's surprisingly easy to ride. The only hard part is starting off. You have to stand on something and give yourself a good push. It feels like you're up pretty high when you're on it.

I got quite a bit of looks and comments when I took it for a ride the other night. B)

What a great thread!

Brings back so many memories.

I can safely bet that this little bit of trivia/history will surprise most, if not all of you.

Your fearless editor was a major contender in the cycling world here in Hawaii.

Back in '75-77, I was the State Champion in cycling, for three years straight.

For my age group (Intermediate) I was competing against, and beating, every one on the island, Juniors and Seniors.

I was on my way to the Junior World Tryouts, I think it was set for late '77, and had a life-changing cycling accident.

Long story short, I was not able to walk for about three months, and getting back on bike again didn't happen for almost ten years.

At that time, '77, I was ranked 4th in the nation. This was before the days of Mr. Armstrong.

Back then, the name that came to be famous later was Greg Lemond.

He ironically, was ranked 12th.

He came up the ranks the same time I was, and it always makes me wonder: "What If"

The bikes I had back then were mostly customs.

We built our own with CM tubing kits from some of the major companies.

I think Raleigh had the best program.

They would buy back the bike if you reached certain levels of competition.

We got into the titanium frames, but I kept on breaking them.

I would crack the lower crank tube stays.

I would ride the Pali here, our big mountain, four times a day.

This was while I was in high school, during school time.

Weekends I would ride the island once or twice (110 miles)

It was a fun time.

I wish I had pics of those days.

I think I have the story from the local paper here that did a feature on my last day of cycling.

It was an incredible time.

Thanks for starting the thread, Jody.

I hope that obnoxious guy in Hawaii who thinks he owns this place doesn't lock this thread for being off-topic....