Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who rides bicycles here?

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd dredge this one up... this one's back on the road!

4-vi.jpg

Here's the skinny- its a Hiawatha, manufactured sometime between 1957 and 1960, it's been in the family since new. Hiawatha was kind of a store brand and was sold by Gamble's Hardware- the name was also used on snowblowers and outboard motors I've seen- think of it as Gamble's equivalent to Sears' Craftsman brand.

This had not been ridden since 1995 or 96, when the original rear tire and tube blew out. I disassembled it in 2002 with the intent to restore it, and bought new inner tubes and whitewall tires at that time. Well, flash forward a decade, and it's back together, with its brand-new, ten year old tires and tubes, and not restored one bit!

And... if you look at it very closely, you can faintly make out a few barely-visible old waterslide decals from early '60's AMT kits stuck to it in random spots. :rolleyes:

I recently finished building this one. The frame is from a 1975 (I believe) Raleigh Professonal (their top of the line bike at the time), but otherwise I used more modern components. It's a fantastic ride - everything I'd hoped it would be. This is my third road bike, and the one that I don't risk letting out of my sight.

post-1384-0-69113000-1332192660_thumb.jp

Last one,I promise (for now-insert evil scientist's laughter here :P )...

Here is a taste of some local-in-the-city-singletrack that I have access to (I often ride to the park,ride some of the many trails,then ride home B) ). This was a nice cool down after having just finished all of the parks "Advcanced Skills Required" trails B)

Note: Yes,I did in fact drag my teenaged daughter 3/4 of a mile up the trail to shoot that video...but in my defense,it was an easy section,and it was HER idea,LOL! :P:lol:

Been riding almost daily for a couple weeks now,in addition to doing a bit of "Bike Picking" (think American Picker-LOVING the Mer minivanfor bike purposes so far :D )...

003.jpg

Enough so that one day I hauled a total of NINE scores home in the Merc,now my shed looks like this (in addition to seven stored indoors... :blink: )...

017.jpg

018.jpg

I'm hoping next year to build a double-this-one's-size shed behind it (taking up what's left total of the yard...no more mowing,yay!!! :D ),making a shop fo work and repair in that one,cnnecting to this one,a pace to park mos of them...I'm even thinking of a sort of "Daily Yardsale" used bike and repair service,flipping lots,restring/rat-rodding some,for eg I picked this ladie's 1970's Free Spirit 3 speed up for only 20 bucks,this kiddie Huffy for free,and this NEXT was my daughter's before her new one came this year...the kiddis could be sold for 20 buck or so wth a simple disassembling/cleaning/lubig/adjuting,and that Free Spirit a bit more...

004.jpg

009.jpgHmmm...sorry,I seem to have lost the pic of her old NEXT 20"er :o:wacko:

Edited by Olskoolrodder

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Some good pics and rides posted up here.

nice ride Mike.

Been riding all my life, raced BMX in the 80's. Been riding MTB since 1990. My wife and I spend winters riding in Sedona. 

image.jpeg

Edited by Rider

Some good pics and rides posted up here.

nice ride Mike.

Been riding all my life, raced BMX in the 80's. Been riding MTB since 1990. My wife and I spend winters riding in Sedona. 

image.jpeg

That's a great shot. I bet you have some great technical terrains in the Great White North. I live in GA. We have some great bike parks here. Your choice from beginner to advanced to flow to technical trails.

I originally started MTB riding in 2000 on the old SuperV, I bought it new back then. That bike was way advanced for me but I'm an engineer and a techy kind of guy and had to have FS with hydraulic discs. But I never got to be too good of a rider because it wasn't long after that I got laid off my job. So new jobs mean relocating. So I did some riding again when I lived in south FL, that was in 2005. But that trail wasn't too bad. It had intermediate on it and some of it was just like a dirt road. Well, more layoff and relocating a few more times and I eventually wound up back where I was when I bought the bike in Marietta, GA. That was in 2011. But I still really didn't resume riding. The trail I originally started on in 2000 was a rather intimidating trail and I was quite "green" at it. But after I moved in with my girlfriend I found out about a local trail and decided to go at it again. That was in the spring of 2014. It turned out to be a nice technical rooty, rocky trail. The beginner section was more like intermediate compared to other beginner trails I've seen. So I rode the bike every weekend and got more skillful and more confident. In Oct 2014 I cracked the rear swing arm on the old bike. (The black one in the photo is a replacement). Cannondale couldn't fix it due to the fact they don't make an 26ers and more but there is a lifetime frame warranty so I got 40% off on that Scalpel 29. Then a few months later over the winter I fixed the old bike. So I've done about 550 miles of riding since I got the new Scalpel. Plus I've hit a few other trails too.

Edited by Mike C

Thanks.

Yup some of the best tech trails anywhere in the world right in my back yard. I work for 9point8, we make one of the best dropper post on the market. Have you herd of us? Here's a link to our page http://www.9point8.ca 

I may be down in the area this fall for what is being tagged as Interbike East. 

image.jpeg

Edited by Rider

Thanks.

Yup some of the best tech trails anywhere in the world right in my back yard. I work for 9point8, we make one of the best dropper post on the market. Have you herd of us? Here's a link to our page http://www.9point8.ca 

I may be down in the area this fall for what is being tagged as Interbike East. 

image.jpeg

I haven't heard of 9point8. I don't use a dropper post either. That's cool that you work for a bike accessory manufacturer.

It's a 2015 Giant Carbon Trance Team with a Fox 160mm 34 Talas and Industry Nine hubs and Derby carbon wheels. It looks like a 2016 Carbon Trance 1 model.

Long story behind how the Giant 2016 Trance blue/orange colour scheme came to be. Short story, Giant ripped off my graphic design on my bike and used it on their 2016 design for the Trance Carbon 1 model. If you want to here the long storey I will be glad to share. I now have the 2015 frame graphics software file from Giant so I can do what ever colour combo I want. 

I started racing BMX in 1981 at age 14 and raced well into my 30's. Still have a cruiser in the shed, just in case. Started riding mountain bikes in the late 90's and even tried bicycle trials riding. Never competed, but rode with a guy that did.

The problem I have is that I like to go fast and common sense usually doesn't kick in until after the crash. I generally ride alone and have limped out of the woods on more than one occasion.

I used to have cardio for days, now it is cardio for about two hundred yards.

Nice style Michael, very slick. 

I hear ya on the speed thing, I ride DH too, used to spend a ton of time riding in BC on the shore and up a Whistler. There is something about hitting that sweet zone where tunnel vision and focus is pin point sharp, until you crash, then it's just an F1 wreck.