Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950's Diner Diorama

Sixties Sam

Hi, guys. I thought I would show you this diorama I'm working on. It's a 1/25 scale railroad car style metal diner with cars in its parking lot. Time period is the mid-1950's. It's still in mockup stage with much work to do to finish it.

Here's the diner: It's made mostly of plywood & balsa with aluminum flashing for the metal on the sides and the trolley top. The outer roof is door stop molding covered with alum. foil from the kitchen. The porch & sidewalk are plywood, and the base is some old wood paneling flipped over and painted with black textured paint.

4504302348_b2d6fe0abe.jpg

4504302258_203e78090c.jpg

I parked a couple of my models in front to see how it will look when it's done.

4503669375_03e8c703de.jpg

The interior will be partly finished with some seats with people sitting by the windows. I have to paint the sidewalk, add grass and shrubs, parking space lines, and of course, a bunch of 1950's cars in the parking lot. The roof will have a big sign on it with the name of the place. I haven't decided what to call it yet. Comments/suggestions are welcome. I hope you like it!

Sam

Wow, That is very stunning. Really captures the feel of an old diner. I cannot remember the name of the company that makes them but, there is someone out there that makes "neon" and, animated signs for modelrailroad use. Might be someting to look into for your sign.

Wow, That is very stunning. Really captures the feel of an old diner. I cannot remember the name of the company that makes them but, there is someone out there that makes "neon" and, animated signs for modelrailroad use. Might be someting to look into for your sign.

Kris, I think you're thinking of Bar Mills Models in Maine. They make some very nice signs and aren't too expensive.

There are a couple of other companies that do them as well, but Bar Mills is the one that comes to mind first.

Charlie Larkin

Thanks for the kind words, guys! I'm glad you like it!

The diorama is coming along slowly. I've been busy. I thought that before I finish it, I would make some faux black & white pics of the diner taken just before it would have opened in the 1930's. I put a few of my older cars in front of it and stuck a "Grand opening coming soon" sign in front. These are night shots with flash.

4533359002_e44991aa32.jpg

4533358892_3ae88641ed.jpg

4533358698_79f0712f7a.jpg

The finished diner will have awnings, some trees & shrubbery, and a sign on it, and a few other details. Its time period will be the late 1950's.

Sam

UPDATE: I added some grass, shrubs, and interior details. Still not finished, but getting close!

4547142120_507ac1fcd3.jpg

4547142320_115313ef83.jpg

4546507825_4982566702.jpg

The seats are pieces of pine corner molding, tables are balsa, counter is a block of wood with a balsa top. Counter and table tops are printed paper glued on. Gotta make some stools next, and paint some customer figures. The black line in that parking space is a crack in the diorama base (cheapo paneling). I'll putty it up and paint it later to look like a pavement patch job. I can almost smell the coffee and bacon!

Sam

Sam,

Your updated photos of the diner look great with the checkered tablecloths and checkered floor. Keep up the good work. At Rosie's Diner in the Denver area there were small music selectors with coin slots above each table mounted on the wall. This is just food for thought.

ANOTHER QUICK UPDATE: I made some stools to go in front of the counter. Here's a pic showing the construction. It's all hardware store stuff. A #6 screw goes through the hardware into the floor of the diner to hold them in place. I was lucky; the plastic screw covers are just the right shape for the tops of the stools!

4552233116_f0a50fe2d4.jpg

I was stupid and didn't get enough hardware - only made six stools. Gotta get three more.

Sam