Model Cars Magazine Forum

1958 pontiac 50's style mile custom

gseeds

Gary my friend.

Your work is incredible

I deleted the multiple posts

I think the system is getting a cold.....

thank's so much gregg !!!! was'nt sure what i did to do that,but ill make sure i dont do it again, thank's again buddy !!

I love it .I would love to learn how to do a flame job like that!

not sure if this is what your looking for ,but i posted this up for a few guys that were asking me to do a how to, so i whipped this one up, hope it helps with some of you Q's,gary.

this for the guys that want to know the basic's of custom paint,some of the guys here are past this,but others will find this helpful { i hope }.

Ok this is a very simple flame design that you can take as far as you want,

its not prefect but youll get the idea, after a good wash and primer i sanded the car with 800 grit sand paper {wet}, gave it a base color of house of kolor sunrise pearl,after it dryed,i used bare metal foil as a mask, after laying it on the area i want flamed,i then I draw on some flames,with a sharpie pen,then i take my number 11 blade and cut along the draw lines,and peel back the area i want color on, remember to cut very carefully and only cut only the foil not the paint below,mask off all others areas you dont want paint,ad color of you choice,then peel and un mask and clear,there you have a fast and easy way of flaming, i would start with a bigger flame,like whats on this car,then with a little practice move on to the smaller tigther flames, i couldnt stop with just the flames i had to add a few fades,then three coats of automovtive nason clear, have fun,good luck.

paint1.jpg

paint2.jpg

paint3.jpg

paint4.jpg

paint5.jpg

paint6.jpg

paint6-1.jpg

Hey, Greg just curious why the windshield looks a little whacked on top?

well its a resin body and came with the glass it has,a thin plastic you have to cut to fit,,alot of the time i would tape the windows in and not glue thiem,i built this back in the mid 90's,maybe the tape let go,ill have to check.thanks,gary.

My brother-in-law had a 58 Pontiac and I loved the looks of that car. It was blue with a black tuck and rolled interior. You do some great paint work on your cars. I would have to agree with David G. on this one though. The paint work does hide the lines of the car. I would have to look really close if you had not said it was an 58 Pontiac to know it was one.I mean no offense at all by this.

• 3 weeks later...