Model Cars Magazine Forum

Garage Dio

dannyi

We all know that you'll fix it up better then before, it's in your Blood to do so!

The way it looked before, with all the wreckage laying around,it didn't look very promising at that point.

Well Danny, you have your work cut for you!

best of Luck my Friend.

rctrucker Mike A.

sounds like maybe you could end up with a little unintended "character" but it makes a good story .missing bricks,bent conduit,no valve handle crack in the corner and floor lightbulb burnt out sounds like an older building to me especially one that has been repurposed. well I am glad it isn't as bad as it could have been and I look forward to seeing the restoration.good luck! :)

Edited by randx0

• 2 weeks later...

I've been out of touch awhile and just saw what happened. Bummer man. I know that hurt especially when you were there for the show but you can rebuild. Even with the pipes hanging down and all the other damage...it still looks pretty awesome. More like a building in need of some repairs. Anyway...you seem to have a good attitude about you so keep on keeping on. Your work is awesome and even your damaged work is beyond most. Good luck to you !!!

..thanks fellas, appreciate the encouragement and support!

...well it was a beautiful overcast, cold, rainy day today!, perfect for modeling. Along with resin and mold work I designated some time for the dio. Got the end walls lined up and reattached. The brick work missing in the corner is minimal. Going to try Howard's patch work on this, if it turns out good I'll some to other places too. The window mullions are back in place and most of the piping is straighted out and reconnected. I made a small modification to the gas line for the heaters new corner location also.

....hope to make steady progress on her......stay tuned!........thanks for looking in....

0046.jpg

0037.jpg

0026.jpg

0016.jpg

Once again the Garage is coming back to life, I was thinking that if you didn't want to reconstruct it, you could have burnt some boards to make it look like a burned out garage, but I'm so glad that your doing it again, I know that it's going to be even more nicer then before.

Thanks for the pleasure that you give to me.

Mike A.

It's starting to look like some of the restoration projects my architectural/construction company took on back in the eighties. If we could do it, I know you can..... and we weren't half as talented!

Keep up the great work!

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

...thanks fellas!.....

..Felix, the window glass is a piece of .015 clear sheet styrene. The mullions were made from .030 x .040 strip styrene. I made a template, then carefully glued the individual pieces together.....DSCN1220.jpg

• 2 months later...

I just found out about the dio being damaged , I just want to sit down and cry :blink: I truly look up to you for your building skills , I want to build a dio using the tips i have learned from you. keep us posted as to the rebuild progress.

...well fellas I have to admit there's hasn't been any work done on it a few weeks now. The resin orders and other projects have kept me pretty busy of late. We're remodeling the basement which is better then halfway done, hopefully when that's finished I'll be free to get back to this. I appreciate the interest though...thanks...

...thanks Disabled Modeler! Ed, the lamp shades I turned on a lathe. I painted the outside gloss green and the inside gloss white. The rim was done with a Sharpie(black). The shades then got a mist coat of Polly S "Dust". The plumbing I made from tube styrene. Three different sizes were used to achieve the joints. Then I "stippled" on semi-gloss black paint. After it dried I lightly sanded them to give it their rough two tone look, then added some weathering. As for the brick, I have a short tutorial on the first page of this thread. The nice thing about the brick work method is being able to modify the process to your own liking. I hope this helped.....................

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Charles, I appreciate the kind words and your taking the time to post. Had a couple of friends that wanted to see my dio after I explained to them what it is I do for a hobby. It was one of those "I gotta see it to understand it" type things. So I set up a little scene for them, basically the same stuff, just arranged a bit different.....Now they have a better appreciation for what it is we do here!

• 9 months later...

Danny,

Just came across this thread. Wow! It is great to see how this great project came together. I recall seeing the pictures on your website. A question - the "foamboard" that you used, is it solid foam insulation board, or arts and crafts foam board with one side of the paper removed? As a fire apparatus builder, I have always wanted to build a turn of the century brick firehouse with wooden doors. Your techniques are just fantastic! I can't wait to give the brick technique a try. Thanks.

Danny,

Just came across this thread. Wow! It is great to see how this great project came together. I recall seeing the pictures on your website. A question - the "foamboard" that you used, is it solid foam insulation board, or arts and crafts foam board with one side of the paper removed? As a fire apparatus builder, I have always wanted to build a turn of the century brick firehouse with wooden doors. Your techniques are just fantastic! I can't wait to give the brick technique a try. Thanks.

Danny...check out Colorado Model structures, they have a resin 1/24 scale fire house "Virginia Ridge Building series" $39.95 made to resemble early 1900's style of firehouse, I found them through Rocketfin.

Danny,

Hi David, the foam board I used is arts and craft board with the paper backing removed. I got it a Hobby Lobby, but I know there are other stores that sell similar brands. There are builders who have used the insulation board with great success but I couldn't find any locally that was under 1 inch thick. When you start your project be sure to post plenty of pics!

Danny...check out Colorado Model structures, they have a resin 1/24 scale fire house "Virginia Ridge Building series" $39.95 made to resemble early 1900's style of firehouse, I found them through Rocketfin.

..thanks Curt for the site info, they have a lot of great looking kits there......

• 3 weeks later...