Model Cars Magazine Forum

Introducing the new Chevy Coupe for 2239!!

Raul_Perez

I had so much fun building the '53 Stude hover car based very loosely on the 5th Element movie that I thought I'd build one more.

This is the all new Chevy Coupe for 2239!! It's advanced hover capabilities are unmatched by any other hover car out there!!

Actually, I was cleaning up my desk after finishing the Wagon Rod and moving the remnants of kits I used for that build out to the garage when I thought, hey...what else would 99% of a Monogram Chevy coupe kit be good for?...so...instead of labeling the box "Parts Only" and moving it out to the garage, I cracked the box open and started building a second hover car.

Step one was to fill in the bottom by super gluing a piece of 0.04" styrene to the fender assembly.

DSC07686-vi.jpg

Next was to fill in the wheel openings...first a backing, then adding the part to fill in, (and make what was the wheel area), flush with the sides of the fenders.

DSC07692-vi.jpg

After the wheel openings were filled in and the basic sanding was done, here's how it looked.

DSC07697-vi.jpg

But wait...I used the stock headlamp buckets on the Wagon Rod and the hood that comes in this verion of the '39 Chevy from Monogram has no side panels...so...I reached into what seems like a never ending supply of kits that I've robbed various parts from and grabbed the Prowler kit that gave up it's tires and wheels for the Wagon Rod.

After a bit of measuring, cutting, trimming, gluing and sanding, here's how it looks so far.

DSC07699-vi.jpg

DSC07701-vi.jpg

I've got a couple other major styling changes in mind before this one sees a bit of putty, detailed forming, primer and paint...but I'll probably model those changes in PowerPoint before I make them to the model.

Well, that's all for now from the year 2239...stay tuned for more updates in the days to follow... :)

Later,

Edited by Raul_Perez

Very cool! There's got to be something liberating about a wheeless design, it allows you to focus exclusively on the shape of the body without the added aspects of ground clearance and the details, shape and size of the wheel assemblies and wheel openings. A little like building a slammer. I especially like the nacels from the Prowler along the side of the grill and the pan extension below the grill. Gives the whole thing a new set of proportions appropriate to the hovercraft concept. I don't often say this, but have you considered chopping the top? Regardless... build on!!!B):)

Make it a convertible, or a roadster

Golly, the prowler front end looks great on the '39 chebby B)

Thanks, guys!!

This one won't be a convertible or a roadster, but I may tak a little out of the A pillar to give it a little more aggressive rake.

Here's a quick view of what I plan of doing to the sides...

DSC07707-vi.jpg

DSC07708-vi.jpg

Later,

Edited by Raul_Perez

Thanks, guys!!

This one won't be a convertible or a roadster, but I may tak a little out of the A pillar.

Here's a quick view of what I plan of doing to the sides...

So nothing?

Edit: Dang it!! You fixed it before I could be a smart allelic

Edited by Clay

Wow! another one I cant wait to see where this one goes.

Well...then here's an update... ;)

To keep the radius of the bend consistent through the area near the door opening, I glued a piece of 3/4 round stock between the bottom of the running board and the fender. This served as a bending point for the 0.02" styrene sheet used to reshape the front fenders and eliminate the running boards from the design.

DSC07709-vi.jpg

DSC07710-vi.jpg

Then the 0.02" sheet styrene was added and sanded to shape.

DSC07716-vi.jpg

DSC07714-vi.jpg

DSC07717-vi.jpg

Finally a light coat of primer before a thin layer of putty to smooth it all out.

DSC07720-vi.jpg

I still need to figure out what I'm going to do with the roof and the back...but I'll save all of that for another day...after I buy another bottle of CA!!

Later,

Interesting for sure! I love the design elements you are adding to this car. I love seein' builds like this as it makes me feel like a kid again using my imagination on what the possibilities are going to be before seeing it actually done. Excellent workmanship and I can't wait to see more. Keep on building, I luv it! ;)

So, Raul, are you going to be selling tires now?

This series of cars you've been doing is pretty cool for sure. Looks like this one is already levitating. Oh, nevermind, it's sitting on a glue bottle...

How would a bubble top look on this thing, or maybe a pair of steerable thrusters sticking out the rear???

Cool concept coming together nicely as your's always do.

You are a poet and I bet you didn't even know it. :P

Great job Raul, I can't wait for this to be done

Yeah, yeah, yeah...

I hope that you got home safely!

So, Raul, are you going to be selling tires now?

This series of cars you've been doing is pretty cool for sure. Looks like this one is already levitating. Oh, nevermind, it's sitting on a glue bottle...

How would a bubble top look on this thing, or maybe a pair of steerable thrusters sticking out the rear???

Cool concept coming together nicely as your's always do.

No...I'm not selling any tires, but my bin for spare tires is getting full quickly! :(

I don't have a bubble that would fit well on this one, so it'll stay a hardtop.

I've already added the thruster to the trunk area. I'll post pics tonight when I get home.

This will be my last one of these for a while. The "fun" is wearing off quickly...and I've got a lot of other stuff to build.

Later,

Edited by Raul_Perez