Model Cars Magazine Forum

TransAm sport truck

DanielG

You are right about the roof. I have to build up the rear slightly and still cut the middle post to width and then two cuts at the top corners and bend up slightly to get the proper rake and slant. At the rate I am going, about two days work! And still mount the roof and hope it all melds together and looks right the first time!

78k-car-fb6.jpg

I am refering to the rear. On the model the spring is visible below the body panel whereas on the photo of the car the only thing visible appears to be the exhaust pipes. Did these things ever have coil suspension? This is always assuming that the photo was not retouched! I already have the reshaping of the front flare planned out.

This is a picture of the '78 before the '79 upgrade.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

I'm understanding what you mean now, Daniel. Since there was not much to the rear springs in the real cars, you should not see very much of the spring below the rear quarter panel. I assume maybe the diecast casting must have just gotten a little "chunky" in the rear spring area. If it's just a slight bit of the spring showing, I'd just leave it be, because that would be prototypically correct. It doesn't show very well in your picture, and not much better in these, but there should be just a slight piece of the spring showing. The white one is Revell's 78 Trans Am and the blue is a 1/24 Johnny Lightning 70 Trans Am diecast.

HPIM2808.jpg

HPIM2811.jpg

As you can see, especially with the Revell kit, there is a slight amount of spring that does hang down below the quarter panel. That is also how my 1:1 79 Firebird was, and that is mainly because the springs mount below the axle. If there is more than that showing of your spring, I'd try to sand it down to just around the quarter panel, but if it's slight, like I said, I'd leave it be.

Also, as far as I know, since the Type K was just a concept, I would guess GM just used the existing Trans Am platform, so I don't think they would have had coil springs. The Trans Am did not have coil springs until the third generation cars came out in 1982.

Thanks for the comparisons. I am thinking the engineering on the diecast model is a bit clunky. I will just try to clean it up a little and live with the result! Anchored the rear on and now ready to do some more cutting as soon as the joint has cured.

DSC02111.jpg

This is looking great, i have both the pontiac version and the camaro versions on my shelf, so if ya need pictures let me know

And if you'd ever like to get rid of the Pontiac one, let me know! B)

Lookin' good so far! Keep up the great work! It's starting to take shape now. Can't wait to see more. :P

I've owned several generations of Camaros, Firebirds, and T/A's. I can understand the frustration with the underpinnings hangin' down on your car. My 1975 and 1979 Camaros as well as my 1978 Firebird and 1980 T/A had jus' a tad bit of the rear springs showing. (My Camaros' exhaust hung lower than on the Pontiacs). Keep us posted! I'm watchin' this come to life.

Edited by Tumbler75

Wow, it is definitely a challege! One you have shown you are up to though!:D

I had seen pictures of this car in the past but never compared it with the stock TransAm. There are some very subtle differences! They flattened out the roof raising it at the B-Pillar!

Just looking at the pictues comparing the Two they had to have custom door glass made as the original glass curved down towards the back and the coversions is squared off to flow off with the roof extension!

Looking towards seeing this one come to light as we did the 58 Chevy!:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Daniel, I think it would great if you posted something on the Tips, Tricks & Tutorials section about how to disassemble and detail a built diecast model. I know each one is different, but you must have a certain approach you take.

Interesting concept Skip, that anyone would be interested in how I do something! My 'approach' depends on the engineering of the model and what has to be made out of it and sometimes is not for the faint of heart. It almost always starts with completely stripping the model down into its components unless it is only a matter of changing wheels or such like.

I have found another doner model that may be closer to what I am trying to replicate with this modification and may start over!

One doner model will not be used after all and has been reassembled and put back on the shelf. Watching this thread should give a fairly good idea of how I tackle a project. Always happy to address any specific question.

What a mess!

DSC02132.jpg

Anyhooo, took the tires off the Formula because they are closer to the original (and fit the rims) and got new wheels from an earlier '79 which are the correct pattern snowflake (and as near as I can tell are 15 scale inches). Looks like I will have to turn them down on the lathe and then slide and glue them into the tires after the tires and backing plates are mounted on the axles (the joys of working with cars from different manufacturers!). Ertl tire and backing and R/S snowflake. So, some CA glue and luck and it should all come together, as in a plan, sort of.