Model Cars Magazine Forum

TransAm sport truck

DanielG

Hi Daniel, The gold looks awesome!! What paint/ primer do you like for metal?

Thank you,

Randy

Hi Randy,

I used Tamiya grey primer while sanding out the flaws then smoothed before adding Tamiya fine white primer as an under-coat to Tamiya gold. I am planning to top coat with Tamiya clear which is why I am letting it cure forever (having had a bad experience by rushing)!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Johnny

These thing do happen Daniel! But seeing what you have went through to get to this point take heart it is only a minor thing compared to things like, butchering a thumb! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Well, I finally got the courage to tackle the back-end of this bird. It has only been a few MONTHS or so!

I made the bumper out of four chunks of wood, sanded sealed etc.

taillights001.jpg

I made up some red styrene and printed the tail-lights on photo-paper.

taillights002.jpg

I painted the bumper and added BMF and then glued it all on ready for the 'grill'.

taillights003.jpg

The back-end, minus a few small details and glazing.

taillights005.jpg

So much coolness in this model. I love the body work, I love the colour, I love the tail panel grill, I especially love the way you did the tail lights with the print out and the red styrene. I will have to borrow that idea for my Falcon build. I can't wait to see more.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for your comments. After two failed attempts I finally got a decal job that I can live with. Have to spray the hood clear to anchor everything down once it is THOROUGHLY dry! I figure with all the photopaper and decal sheets (two types) and ink that I used making this bird it probably cost about fifty bucks! (I still have two decals that I can try if I screw this up somehow later)

It is a good thing that I am taking so long to do this, it is like buying it on time!

post-5869-0-93802600-1339184961_thumb.jp

Guest Johnny

One step forward and two steps back..................................................

Don't that sound familiar Daniel? ;)