Model Cars Magazine Forum

Suggestion about works in progress postings

Sometimes, it can get frustrating watching a build in progress that disappears for days, weeks or months before it's finished. Maybe it would be better for builders to keep a photographic journal of their build and not post on this forum until it's finished, where they can then show the progress all the way to the end after it's finished. Only a very few of the most talented builders on this forum can keep things moving until the end.

I have to say I disagree. It's refreshing sometimes when a build Pops back up and I get excited to see whats happened. Thats just me though. I like the interaction along the way. Comments from others and suggestions. You'll miss most of the interaction if you change it that way. Now I will admit that an old project is kind of hard to find. The search engine here is not the greatest. I have a couple older projects I have no choice but go page by page until I find it.

Sometimes, it can get frustrating watching a build in progress that disappears for days, weeks or months before it's finished. Only a very few of the most talented builders on this forum can keep things moving until the end.

So Skip, does this mean that if you get busy and maybe not able to work on your project and can't post a daily update like it seems you are insisting HAS to happen in a build, you not a talented builder? I take particular offence to that because I have a WIP that has been a long and tough build with HEAVY customization, and many supporters who have not only PATIENTLY followed the build, but has offered much encouragement during the rougher stretches, but your statement is saying that I'm not a talented builder just because it has not had daily updates! Well, you know what, EVERYONE HAS A LIFE HERE OUTSIDE THE FORUM AND OUTSIDE OF BUILDING! The fact of the matter is, just because there are not updates in a WIP thread due to life matters, build problems, or anything of the other many reasons a build might stall, does NOT mean the builder is not talented!

JUST BECAUSE A THREAD IS NOT UPDATED TO YOUR HIGH STANDARDS DOES NOT GIVE YOU THE RIGHT TO SAY THE BUILDER IS NOT TALENTED!!!

B) That's all I'll say about that!

As far as the topic on hand, I disagree. People are posting their works in progress to show what they have done so far at their pace. You are making it sound like people are just doing it at the whim of others, like everything has to be done at your pace or else there's no point in viewing it. Heck, what's the point in even having a WIP section if it isn't updated as the progress is. Plus, you would lose valuable advice along the way that could improve your build.

I build slowly but having a wip that is out in public helps push me along .while it may not seem like it I have gone a lot further than I usually would just by having people offer encouragement and suggestions. I like the feedback I get on my builds .Skip you should try it and see how much it can help motivate you .

So Skip, does this mean that if you get busy and maybe not able to work on your project and can't post a daily update like it seems you are insisting HAS to happen in a build, you not a talented builder? I take particular offence to that because I have a WIP that has been a long and tough build with HEAVY customization, and many supporters who have not only PATIENTLY followed the build, but has offered much encouragement during the rougher stretches, but your statement is saying that I'm not a talented builder just because it has not had daily updates! Well, you know what, EVERYONE HAS A LIFE HERE OUTSIDE THE FORUM AND OUTSIDE OF BUILDING! The fact of the matter is, just because there are not updates in a WIP thread due to life matters, build problems, or anything of the other many reasons a build might stall, does NOT mean the builder is not talented!

JUST BECAUSE A THREAD IS NOT UPDATED TO YOUR HIGH STANDARDS DOES NOT GIVE YOU THE RIGHT TO SAY THE BUILDER IS NOT TALENTED!!!

I agree with you 100% try to build something like this and post daily,weekly. I'm glad we'll take a year's

worth of posting our WIP's in the Big Rig CBP your planning.

Skip if you want to see what your talking about start a CBP on it and see how many do'nt join that one.

Thanks

Earl Miller

models044.jpg

models045.jpg

Family511-1.jpg

modelgroup61.jpg

Highway - maybe I'm wrong - but you might have read "too much" into the OP's opening statement.

I might be doing just that, Mike, but by Skip's comment, I'm offended by it. There are many WIPs I watch, and some don't get updated often, but they are wonderful builds and I'm happy to see the progress, regardless of how fast or slow the build goes, and have learned from them along the way in many cases. The progression of a WIP thread should have no bearing at all on the builders talent, and Skip saying

Only a very few of the most talented builders on this forum can keep things moving until the end.

says to me that he feels if a WIP thread is not updated to his satisfaction, the builder is not a talented builder in his lofty standards.

Jeez,lighten up, pal. I just said it was frustrating, not that the person posting should be sent to the deepest reaches of Hades. And I have the right to say a lot of things, just as you do. AND I NEVER SAID ANYONE WAS NOT TALENTED!!Why do you have to come across as so hateful? And why all the big, bold red type? Anyway, you go back to your whiskey and I'll go back to my wine.

Edited by sjordan2

I agree with you 100% try to build something like this and post daily,weekly. I'm glad we'll take a year's

worth of posting our WIP's in the Big Rig CBP your planning.

Skip if you want to see what your talking about start a CBP on it and see how many do'nt join that one.

Thanks

Earl Miller

models044.jpg

Thank you, Earl, and that is exactly why I was offended by Skip's statement! I'm sure your car hauler took many hours to do, just as my current large WIP, this highly customized rig.

HPIM2155.jpg

I'm sure, too, with your car hauler, as with my truck, you ran into certain aspects of the build that was frustrating where you just had to step away for a little while. I can't begin to tell you how many hours I spent just in shaping the roof of my sleeper, which was just add Bondo, sand, prime, repeat until I finally achieved the look I wanted. Another example is the custom front bumper on mine, I've spent probably at least 20 hours off and on this week alone just fitting, testing, refitting, and testing more just to add hinges to the bumper to have it tilt down out of the way so I can tilt open the hood and also line up the way I want it when both are in their closed positions, and that's not counting the hours of work in building the bumper itself.

:blink: That's all I'll say about that!

As far as the topic on hand, I disagree. People are posting their works in progress to show what they have done so far at their pace. You are making it sound like people are just doing it at the whim of others, like everything has to be done at your pace or else there's no point in viewing it. Heck, what's the point in even having a WIP section if it isn't updated as the progress is. Plus, you would lose valuable advice along the way that could improve your build.

Once again I just said (1) it's frustrating and (2) it's a suggestion. Not a rant. I'm not condemning anyone. Why would anyone be offended?

Edited by sjordan2

I personally prefer the ones where it's just a couple of pics of wheels under an unpainted body shell and then you never see another update... :blink:

I try to get a week or two into a project before I post anything on it, but I thought posting a first post as soon as I start something would help keep me motivated... that hasn't helped my '57 Chevy gasser... ;)

So - What i have read here was that, Skip - you didn't see where your comment could have been taken that way Highway took it. Also - after being called out on it, still refuse to see where it could be construed the wrong way.

So...

Ah, Whatever.

Well, if you read my original post, I have no idea why it could be construed the way it has been. And what is there to be "called out" on? It was a simple suggestion.

And to respond to your comment, Highway took it WAY over the top. End of story, lock the thread, this should never have gone in this direction.

So - What i have read here was that, Skip - you didn't see where your comment could have been taken that way Highway took it. Also - after being called out on it, still refuse to see where it could be construed the wrong way.

So...

Ah, Whatever.

Edit - Actually:

that can be taken as " only the people who finish their WIP's and get them to the UNDER GLASS section have talent here. And even then, only a few of them are truly talented "

I'm not the only one who saw that.

Now - if your comment "innocent' in nature - then a simple apology should fix this whole situation before it get way out of hand.

But, that's up to you....

I don't owe an apology to people who can't read.

Well I feel a person should be able to take as much time as he/she needs to complete a project. The forum is designed for encouragement. And it is that encouragement that helps some keep going on a build. I know with me personally sometimes I can pump out the updates on a daily basis but as of lately with the project im working on now it takes more effort to get updates. So those waiting on an update may not get one for a week or so, but those who follow the build dont seem to mind (i hope) :blink:

Yet again, there's no shades of gray on the internet. "Only a very few of the most talented builders on this forum can keep things moving until the end." becomes "Anyone who doesn't finish their WIP is a talentless hack"

Why don't people just read what's written in a post, instead of thinking of everything that can possibly be read into it?? :blink:

Well I feel a person should be able to take as much time as he/she needs to complete a project. The forum is designed for encouragement. And it is that encouragement that helps some keep going on a build. I know with me personally sometimes I can pump out the updates on a daily basis but as of lately with the project im working on now it takes more effort to get updates. So those waiting on an update may not get one for a week or so, but those who follow the build dont seem to mind (i hope) :blink:

You are one of two or three who has stated this opinion in a reasonable and positive way. I never said a WIP shouldn't be posted at all, and I agree with ongoing encouragement and suggestions. It's just that there have been so many WIP threads that appear to have been abandoned, such as the recreation of a custom Duesenberg, multiple threads of bodies sitting on custom wheels, and one with incredible scratchbuilt chassis work without a final model ever being finished over the years, among several others. I just don't understand the over-the-top response by a couple of people to a simple suggestion.

Well I disagree to. If I like something somebody's building, I follow along and don't worry about how much they get done, because It's not my build and it dosen't really matter.

I know I post alot of things, alot of which aren't done yet :blink: but I take my time, and work at it at my own pace, because it's mine and not anybody elses so I don't worry about how much I get done in a certain amount of time, as long as I'm enjoying it and everybody who is watching that's all that matters I think.

You are one of two or three who has stated this opinion in a reasonable and positive way. I never said a WIP shouldn't be posted at all, and I agree with ongoing encouragement and suggestions. It's just that there have been so many WIP threads that appear to have been abandoned, such as the recreation of a custom Duesenberg, multiple threads of bodies sitting on custom wheels, and one with incredible scratchbuilt chassis work without a final model ever being finished over the years, among several others. I just don't understand the over-the-top response by a couple of people to a simple suggestion.

Because things come up? What it sounds like is unless you can predict the future, don't post a WIP build. People lose interest, people get sick, people lose computer access, people lose the builds (natural disasters, breakage, etc.), and so on. I really don't see how your reasoning would work.