Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 Chevelle SS Pro Mod WIP (Updated 3.26.14)

hOLMS

Awesome work mate. Both thumbs up from here. :P

Yes, very hard to tell if there are discrepancies in body contour/alignment (specially in pics), but if you know they are there, they stand out in your own eyes, hey....;)

Been through this on several occasions with my Camaro build. :P But you need to get it right, to satisfy your own critique....I know I do. :P

Keep at it mate, you're doing a sweet job.

im blown away by the amount of mods and detail you are putting into this especially on parts of the body that that hardly anyone will pick up on,its good to see people not willing to settle with minor imperfections.this looks great,i have the same body you started with ready to make it onto my bench and when i get to it you have definately inspired me to have a go at modifying the body.

Alright guys, this Chevelle body seems to be inching closer and closer to being finished, this process of the build is close to seeing the light. I've now got the scratched rear bumper roughed in.

I think I've somewhat achieved my 4 main goals for this experiment. I've achieved an aggressive wedge shape, brought the roof line into the aero world and close to having the narrowed, lowered and bullitt shaped nose complete. Number one goal was to keep the '69 identity, what an outstanding car and certain to always remain a standout. I can honestly say I now look at this body style different than b4 I started, with a sincere appreciation for the people who made this car happen.

I have some more processes to do, though most of the shapes will not change much more...1)Finish the front air-dam lip 2)Massage the headlights and hood 3)Finish the rear bumper/trunk lid, including wheelie-bar clearance 4)May open rear fender well a bit, looks a little bit tight 5)Scratch the rear wing and 6)Minor frt and rear bumper detail. Once I have all that, it will be time for double-checking/adjusting heights, window treatments and smoothing it all up. I'm probably a long way from paint, if this one sees paint at all...lol.

A big thanks to all who have followed and commented, I've enjoyed this one extremely....maybe chassis work is right around the corner? It would be great to have the wheels back on this one. Included some before/after pix.

Main_B4Aft_1_A.jpg

Main_B4Aft_2_A.jpg

Main_B4Aft_3_A.jpg

Main_B4Aft_4_A.jpg

The rear bumper looks great so far!

I have to admit I wasn't sure what to expect from this transformation when you started it, but was quickly convinced it was the right thing to do. This Pro Mod Chevelle strikes a perfect balance between old and new.

Keep the pictures coming!

Hi guys, been at it with couple more mods....u know, chop, cut, rebuild. Posting some pix, sorry but they r a bit blurry. Trying a new camera dial-in. One day I'll finish this SS!!!

I've changed the front air dam, added more angle (front and sides) so that now I'm only five scale inches from the 45" max from centerline of frt wheels. I went ahead with adding to the sides to help match the side skirts a little bit.

I've replaced the hood bulge yet again and I think I'm almost satisflied with this one. I made this from two cut wedge sections from an old hood in the parts box, not sure what the hood went with...kinda thinking is was the WJ Olds?

Been doing some finishing/blending on both sides, those are close. Also, added some detail to the rear bumper. I used some 3/32 rod and sanded a flat on one side to .035/.040 thk for a half-moon shape, then placed. Still needs finishing. Was flexible enough to follow the bumper curves.

Thanks for looking!!

000_0493.jpg

000_0498.jpg

000_0500.jpg

000_0495.jpg

000_0494.jpg

Here's one of my front wheel designs in the early stages of 3D modeling. I have more, this is the only design I've photo rendered so far. I may machine them, though I'm looking into several processes to make these. Thanks for looking.

FW-014.jpg

FW-013.jpg

FW-012.jpg

FW-011.jpg

Jeff this thing is looking great. I am loving all of the body mods and you sure have a lot of time and hard work that is going to pay off. Those Rims are sick and love the design. I vote for the Black ones. I can't wait to see what you have instore next.

Wow man just wow !!!! Havent been doing much at all, just drooling B). Some seriously outstanding work you're doing so thanks again for sharing how you do it.

Ps, I liked the first hood bulge better too, could be the angle but this one almost looks like a cowl scoop

Thanks for the comments/feedback guys! I too liked the first hood bulge, but it was way to weak, really used that only for hood cutout dimensions and a visual. The second was close but still lacked the look in person (2nd was the one I liked better). This third one does look better in person and does sorta have the cowl thing going on, probably sticking with this.

I started some chassis work last night, I have the main platform rails laid out and hope to do some more this evening. Included couple pix of the start, using styrene tubing. This is my first attempt at a chassis in plastic, hope it goes well. I usually go with soldered brass, we'll see what happens. Thanks for looking!

000_0503.jpg

000_0502.jpg

000_0501.jpg

Hello all. I was able to make some chassis progress today for the drivers compartment, also able to establish mounting points to body....fits pretty well. I hope to make it to having front suspension this week while finishing the body. I'm using .093 on the main rails, .062 on the other main tubes and .045/.025 for support tubes. I'm using varied sheet thk's for body mtg brkt's. Thanks for looking!

DCP_4076.jpg

DCP_4085.jpg

DCP_4083.jpg

DCP_4082.jpg

DCP_4081.jpg

DCP_4080.jpg

Hello all. I've been able to make a bit more progress on the chassis...added the firewall and a good portion of the front clip.

Also, I have the powerplant (will be fully blown) and some running gear started. The block is from one of the old T-bird pro-stockers and will be modifying that to....well, not sure yet, but will be current. The bell housing will resemble a Trick Titanium unit and the Lenco is a five-speed that I may cut a case out of to be a 4-speed.

Thanks for looking!

DCP_4107.jpg

DSCN0471.jpg

DSCN0472.jpg

DSCN0475.jpg

DSCN0477.jpg

DCP_4112.jpg

The chassis looks great. Somehow I missed the bodywork to raise one side of the roof and tail light section. It sucks that you had to make the corrections, but I'm glad that you did it and shared the work with us. Your hard work is really paying off. This is a truly exceptional build. I think you exceeded your goal of retaining the character of the '69 Chevelle in an aggressive and modern promod. :P

Hi guys, thanks for the comments. Been able to make some progress on the rear of the chassis and some sheet work on the firewall. Hope to make some good progress over the next week.

Kane...I made the thin five spokes. I cut out the center of a set of fronts and then cut the actual blades of the rim out of sheet, then made a small template to locate outers, blades and centers. This will work well if you use cement, not CA. Cement allows you to move around a bit for lineup.

Thanks for looking!!

DCP_4117.jpg

DCP_4115.jpg

DCP_4128.jpg

DCP_4130.jpg

DCP_4121.jpg