Model Cars Magazine Forum

Get Shorty......Updated December 12

Peter Lombardo

The other day when I posted the final pictures of my version of the Dual Cowl Art Deco Roadster, I mentioned that I thought it would look pretty good as a 2 seat Roadster Runabout. So, this morning I took one of my extra bodies that I had laying around and cut two sections out of the center so I could shorten it into a 2 seater. Overall, I cut about ¾ of an inch from the car. 5089492857_0507bd8638.jpg

I am thinking that a C5 Corvette chassis and engine that I have will make the proper chassis and running gear for this car. 5090091860_e4a37de41d.jpg

I plan on modifying the interior to fit into the rather narrow interior space. 5090092144_c212ab5eef.jpg

5089494207_dd8bde257f.jpg

The reason I cut two slices out of the side was because there is a rather large gap in the width of the car from the front of the cut to the rear of the cut. I put a roughly ¼ inch slice in the center so I could control the angle from front to rear and thereby guarantee a smooth transition of the body shape. Obviously I have only glued together the car and not filled in the seams yet so you can see how it was done. I used the section that I removed, cut into two pieces as backing on the inside of the cuts to add support since they have the exact same contour and make for a perfect fit on the inside. The entire modification is glued together with Tenax 7R which works perfectly with the styrene.

I roughly cut out the interior space and lowered the side’s ala MGA, Jaguar XK120, 140 and 150. The wheel well openings will have a slight flair on the outer edge. I plan on giving this car separate headlight pods on the inner side of the fenders, also ala Jaguar.

I am really diggin’ this variation of the car. I think the proportions flow real well. Anyone who has this car and is not sure what to do with it, maybe this is a direction you should consider.

Side by side, you can see the reduction in length.

5090092992_67e4e0c964.jpg

5089494785_2396758f13.jpg

5090093588_30ab1e5011.jpg

5090094108_7121662cbe.jpg

5089495287_9ce57eb7b2.jpg

Like I said before, I think this works really well and the conversion is very easy to accomplish. I used my Dremel tool with a cutting wheel to make the cuts and the sanding drum to cut away the excess styrene.

Edited by Peter Lombardo

I am just watching the NY Giants on TV and started playing with the roadster body. I modified the rear wheel openings, added some Tamiya putty to the door area to begin healing the surgery to the body and added the styrene strips to the wheel well opening for the slight fender flairs. 5090428810_9752f0ef2a.jpg

5089831073_bc8198f6ab.jpg

I like the “racy†look to the wheel wells, the make the car look like it is moving even though it is standing still……

5089831963_b81a85409e.jpg

I am really liking this version a lot. 5090429978_55c33af1ef.jpg

That's one way of getting the body and chassis to mate-up! :lol:

I like the way you think...now what ya gonna do with all those models waiting to be built when are making your own? B)

this should be fun, carry on grasshopper...

Thanks Curt....you know, I look at just about all of my kits, these days, as possible "donor" kits for a new body. Right now the only two kits I have that are "safe", are the ZR1 Corvette and one of the Ford GT's I have as they will be GT3 cars....but beyond that, all of the kits are game as as donors. I have to tell you, this is so much fun making my own designs come to life. :lol:

Jeeeeze,Peter, I just have trouble thinkin just HOW far your imaginenation goes! That's a COOL way to use up leftover bodies!!! You an Raul are becomein the guys to beat when it comes to our little Ohana of off the wall designer/builders. Oh sorry forgot the Geezerman hisself! I mean, puttin a squirrel skull on a model IS pretty FAR OUT side the box thinkin! Great job so far Peter, Goona look good when she's done!:P:lol::D

So it looks like the Lombardo Motor Corp. will soon be offering a full line of cars... :P

Thanks Harry, I sure wish I could, but there is a guy about 20 minutes from my home who is doing it and in a great way. Take a look here. http://decorides.com/future.htm I need to stop in there one of these days and see it first hand. This is the same guy who puts on the Lead East show here every Labor Day weekend...35 Doo-wop groups and 1,800 hot rods and customs, it is a fun time remembering the 50's. P.S.....I found this web site after I designed my cars.....looks like we (him and I) are thinking along the same lines. :lol:

Thanks Harry, I sure wish I could, but there is a guy about 20 minutes from my home who is doing it and in a great way. Take a look here. http://decorides.com/future.htm I need to stop in there one of these days and see it first hand. This is the same guy who puts on the Lead East show here every Labor Day weekend...35 Doo-wop groups and 1,800 hot rods and customs, it is a fun time remembering the 50's. P.S.....I found this web site after I designed my cars.....looks like we (him and I) are thinking along the same lines. :(

Folks- take a look at DecoRides. What a neat assortment of stuff! I could seriously see myself buying lots of those products if I had the funds and room to build what I wanted...

Charlie Larkin

Thanks Harry, I sure wish I could, but there is a guy about 20 minutes from my home who is doing it and in a great way. Take a look here. http://decorides.com/future.htm I need to stop in there one of these days and see it first hand. This is the same guy who puts on the Lead East show here every Labor Day weekend...35 Doo-wop groups and 1,800 hot rods and customs, it is a fun time remembering the 50's. P.S.....I found this web site after I designed my cars.....looks like we (him and I) are thinking along the same lines. B)

Hey Peter I was kinda at a stall as to which direction I wanted to go with my build of your sweet body but i have some great ideas now thx for the link! :D

Pete, I will save ya the trip down to Delahaye USA.. It's just his main office in NJ.. The cars are made all over the world and you would have to know what one your looking for and as Terry where it is at. The Zephyrs are made down in Fl and that red one is being made down in south america. The buggotti coupe and roadsters are made in Ind. He contracts out all the work to other ares and shops that want to build his stuff.

Pete, I will save ya the trip down to Delahaye USA.. It's just his main office in NJ.. The cars are made all over the world and you would have to know what one your looking for and as Terry where it is at. The Zephyrs are made down in Fl and that red one is being made down in south america. The buggotti coupe and roadsters are made in Ind. He contracts out all the work to other ares and shops that want to build his stuff.

Yeah Chas, I am aware of the fact that the cars are contracted out....but all I really want to do is talk with Terry as we seem to have the same taste in retro art deco vehicles. Also, it's not like he's in Outer Mongolia, he's a half hour away. Next time I am out to one of my clients in that general direction I will stop in and and try a hit or miss if he is there or not. Got nothing to lose but a few minutes. :P

I have made a little headway on the 2 seat roadster runabout, which is just a shortened version of the dual cowl art deco roadster. I have to admit, I really like the look on this little roadster. I think the proportions are working out very well. 5103861998_21e8b17e40.jpg

Nothing appears, at least to me, to be out of whack….I mean it just “feels†right.

I opened up the wheel wells and am in the process of adding small fender flairs to the outer edge of the opening. 5103861534_1f7aaffced.jpg

The wheel wells are getting a rather aggressive, forward leaning opening which to my eye gives the car the look of going fast, even when standing still.

Up front I added headlight pods made from aluminum tubing projecting from the inside of the front fender. 5103861682_bdf4e62e65.jpg

I have not opened up the grille area, but I think I want something different than what I put on the 4 door version. I changed up the headlights, so I think I may go with a variation on a BMW style “kidney†shaped grille opening.

I opened up the hood and fabricated the inner rim that holds the hood in the proper position when it is closed. 5103269553_87ce6a1f5e.jpg

On the 4 door, the hood is hinged up front….on this version, I think I will reverse that and open from the back. As you can see, I have sketched on the hood two possible lines where I am thinking of building some side vents. Since the 4 door has the louvers on the hood, I want something else on this car….I may even leave it plain, I am not totally sure yet.

On the rear, I added a slightly different license plate housing than I did on the 4 door. 5103862572_55a8dba724.jpg

I flared the sides of the recess outward at the bottom following the contour line from the inside rear fender line. Below the license plate opening will be 4 exhaust openings. I have not decided on the tail lights yet but I am leaning on the idea of MGA or Jaguar XK150 style lights. Rather then something flush, cut into the fender, I am thinking of lights in a protruding unit….I am just not sure yet. On the back, you can see where I have drawn on the rough lines of the trunk opening….on the top I am thinking about adding the 3rd stop light unit…again, we’ll see about that later.

On the bottom, you can see how the slightly stretched Corvette chassis works with the body. 5103862390_bb9e74f593.jpg

I added about ¾ of an inch in length and added small flair pieces behind the front wheel and in front of the rear wheel. I have a neat looking laid back windshield from an old Prowler Promo snap together. With a little work it could fit real nice and look rather “racyâ€.

The engine and running gear are all coming from the 1998 Corvette C5 that is the donor car for this build. Interior seats and trim, along with the wheels and tires will be going on this one. I will be adding that same ¾ of an inch to the drive shaft too.

The color that I am leaning heavily toward now is a medium slate green pearl for the lower body and a cream, over coated with a very light dusting of light green pearl to warm up the cream and make it work better with the slate green bottom.

I am really enjoying this. I see a blend of British sports car design of the late 50’s and rounded flowing art deco lines from the 20’s and 30’s coming together in this along with modern running gear to make it sporting, fast and reliable, if it were real……it should be real…..I think this would make a great weekend ride.

Well, that’s it for now….the wife and I are headed for beautiful sunny Naples Florida in a few days for a week of rest, golf and catching up with a few friends…..I can’t wait…man I love Naples!

• 1 month later...

You may remember that I took a “long†version of my Dual Cowl Roadster body and shortened it up to make a 2 seat run-about roadster version of the car. I have made some more progress on it and I thought I would post an up date on it and get your feedback on an idea I have for it.

First, to the car. I cut out about ¾ of an inch out of the middle of the long 4 seat body and spliced it together right about where the doors are. Here you can see the “short†version next to the long 4 door raw body.5210228394_bc14936c42.jpg

I took a Corvette (C5 version) chassis, running gear, engine and seats and stretched it out to fit under the body. 5210231028_6132974ae5.jpg

I debated with myself over the wheels and tires to use on this one. Part of me wanted the thin but big soft bias ply tires with big fat white walls and part of me wanted the smaller wider radial tires of the modern era. As you can see, the modern wheels and tires won out because I figured if someone were building this car today using the modern Corvette chassis, suspension and engine power, he would want the modern tires to get the power properly down to the street…..remember, all of the power and torque put out by a modern auto is still transmitted down to the black-top only in those 4 rather small “tire patchesâ€. The better the tires, the better the handling…and I think this little sport roadster would be driven in a very spirited style….assuming it were a real car, that is. 5209629551_19b3c0a5e4.jpg

Anyway, starting at the front of the car, I gave this version two standard style exposed headlights protruding from the front fenders ala XK 120/150. 5209630723_6310ee477b.jpg

I, more or less, gave this the same shape grille as my 4 door version, but rather than a one piece opening with vertical slots, this is a four piece affair that will have a cross-hatched mess grille behind the openings. 5210228856_f0514541dc.jpg

I plan on two small exposed round turn signal lights like the MGA has below and inboard of the headlight position.

On the four door version, the hood opens, hinged at the front, on this version, it opens to the rear. There will be two small struts installed later to help hold the hood in the open position. Under the hood you can see the Corvette motor, missing the head cover shields which will go on later. 5210229556_f77db79941.jpg

Also, you may have noticed the small magnet, which matches up with a magnet on the inside of the hood to hold the hood in place when in the closed position. On the firewall will sit the heater, battery and the master cylinder for the brakes. On the hood of the 4 door version I have 50+ louvers so I wanted something different here, so I cut in little S shaped openings on either side mainly to break up the long expanse of the hood and to provide some visual interest to the “Plain Jane†look of the long nose. They would provide some cooling air to the engine compartment, but the engine air intake is up front on the Corvette engine, so these provide nothing for the engine breathing.

The windshield is a modified unit from a Prowler promotional snap fit model. 5209630275_e59ea7a11c.jpg

I, as you can see, grinded away part of the bottom of the windshield to have it fit the contour of the cowl area. I have not built the dashboard yet, but it will sit right behind the cowl, also ala Jaguar 120/150 and MGA. I opened up the doors and hinged them and fit the two Corvette seats, cut down in the middle to the interior where it would be a rather “cozy†fit for two adults.

Both the front and rear wheel well openings have been cut out with a similar shape as the fender top lines and both have been flared. The fronts only mildly but the rears got the full treatment.

On the rear deck, I cut out the license plate opening like the 4 door has, except on this version, I angled the sides to flare out the bottom edge and to mimic the rear inner fender lines on the rear deck. 5209631051_7c6f25f1a5.jpg

The Corvette has four exhaust outlets so I gave this car four too. There will be four polished tips sticking out with beveled tips. 5210230342_0ab902e208.jpg

As you can see, I cut down the soft top from the 4 door version to sit on the shorted version here. 5210230342_0ab902e208.jpg

I really like the look it gives the car and I think it looks very appropriate to the style of the body lines.

The chassis is painted in a Mopar color called Shale Green. It is kind of a smoky grayish green. The body will be painted two-tone with the top center section in a cream vanilla color and the lower outer area will be in the shale green. I currently plan on top coating both with a layer of clear lacquer mixed with tiny green pearl flakes to give it a high light and sparkle. The interior will also be in a two-tone combination of pale green and cream leather and flocking…..should be neat.

Now, on to the idea I am kicking around. If there is enough interest, I will run off a final run of the 4 door versions bodies, just to have a few and then modify the mold to produce a run of the 2 door version. Once I do that, there is no going back for the mold though…it will have to remain the 2 door version. Personally, I can’t decide which one I like best…I really do like them both, but if you guys want a 2 door version to go along with the 4 door version, or did not really like the 4 door one, but like this version, I will modify the mold and do a run of “shortiesâ€. It is up to you guys. I have both, so I don’t care. Let me know and we will take it from there.

The other day when I posted the final pictures of my version of the Dual Cowl Art Deco Roadster, I mentioned that I thought it would look pretty good as a 2 seat Roadster Runabout. So, this morning I took one of my extra bodies that I had laying around and cut two sections out of the center so I could shorten it into a 2 seater. Overall, I cut about ¾ of an inch from the car. 5089492857_0507bd8638.jpg

I am thinking that a C5 Corvette chassis and engine that I have will make the proper chassis and running gear for this car. 5090091860_e4a37de41d.jpg

I plan on modifying the interior to fit into the rather narrow interior space. 5090092144_c212ab5eef.jpg

5089494207_dd8bde257f.jpg

The reason I cut two slices out of the side was because there is a rather large gap in the width of the car from the front of the cut to the rear of the cut. I put a roughly ¼ inch slice in the center so I could control the angle from front to rear and thereby guarantee a smooth transition of the body shape. Obviously I have only glued together the car and not filled in the seams yet so you can see how it was done. I used the section that I removed, cut into two pieces as backing on the inside of the cuts to add support since they have the exact same contour and make for a perfect fit on the inside. The entire modification is glued together with Tenax 7R which works perfectly with the styrene.

I roughly cut out the interior space and lowered the side’s ala MGA, Jaguar XK120, 140 and 150. The wheel well openings will have a slight flair on the outer edge. I plan on giving this car separate headlight pods on the inner side of the fenders, also ala Jaguar.

I am really diggin’ this variation of the car. I think the proportions flow real well. Anyone who has this car and is not sure what to do with it, maybe this is a direction you should consider.

Side by side, you can see the reduction in length.

5090092992_67e4e0c964.jpg

5089494785_2396758f13.jpg

5090093588_30ab1e5011.jpg

5090094108_7121662cbe.jpg

5089495287_9ce57eb7b2.jpg

Like I said before, I think this works really well and the conversion is very easy to accomplish. I used my Dremel tool with a cutting wheel to make the cuts and the sanding drum to cut away the excess styrene.

Nice car really different :lol: