Model Cars Magazine Forum

whats the most over the top thing you've done to a model?

Built a detailed "Two Lane Blacktop"'55 Chevy, with open pass through trunk loaded with tires,jack and tools, sliding Plexiglas side windows, flip front, detailed engine, and a soda can aluminum scoop. The Moonlight Modelers and I sat through the movie and darn near wore out Jerry Keen's remote going back and forth taking notes.:P

Edited by Greg Myers

I made this out of a Tamiya tank, 2 Revell Blazers, a Bronco top, a Jeep axle, an F-350 frame, Bigfoot suspension, a WW2 bomber ( B29 I think ) Nascar and Monster trunk Interior cages, 1/12 scale 57 Chevy fuel tank, and a lot of misc parts and scratch building.

DSC02652.jpg

passdone.jpg

brianspics2007.jpg

Jon Cole, that Edsel is awesome!!!!!

Built a 1/8th scale Monogram E-Type a millenium or two ago. I converted the fascia to RHD, opened and hinged the bootlid and petrol filler flap, installed a fuel filler pipe with removable cap, made beaded carpets from felt, installed a headliner and scratchbuilt dome light, hinged the quarter lights, re-laced the wheels with real wire, and added countless other detailing. I mated the body to the floor pan and filled the seams before painting it. When finished, I gave the model to the owner of a real E-Type as a gift. He still has it in a custom made showcase in his living room.

The most over the top thing I've done with a model car, so far, was to put monster bat-wing tail fins on my Reaver.

Reaver05.jpg

Reaver07.jpg

Reaver06.jpg

I love tail fins! :)

Jon and Wheelman, I love the Edsels.

Brian, cool thank, was that the one you did for the Post Apoc CBP?

Regards,

David G.

Working lights, door latches, opening glove box door and gas filler door, oil dip stick, remote hood and truck latch, working dome light, lit dash lights and motorized to run on a track are about it for now. Not all on the same model of course.... not yet anyway.

Oh... and a working rack and pinion steering too!

I always have to restrain myself or I'll never finish anything ... oh wait .. I DON"T get anything finished! :angry:

When I was about 15 I did a then new '40 Ford Sedan that was chopped, channeled and sectioned with lots of customizing and opening doors. None of that fits this thread, but I made working door handles on the doors. I always thrive on trying something new and figuring it out. This was in the early '60's so I had no MCM Forum to ask .. :angry: I just used a pin and bent it in an L to put through a hole in the door and bent it again inside into a Z. It projected past the door jam and held the door shut. Turning it would release the door. Simple, but I was thrilled at that young age. :angry: