Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fuel Altered!

My concept for this build was for an Altered that could have been on display on the auto show circuit in the early/mid '60s (thus the fully chromed engine.) This build has an AMT Parts Pack body, AMT/Stevens Parts Pack Pontiac engine (with the scoop from the Revell Parts Pack Pontiac), a Bantam Blast chassis, and wheels and tires from various sources. Decals are ink-jet, the paint is Testors One Coat blue, with One Coat wetlook clear. Chris

IMG_0893-vi.jpg

IMG_0894-vi.jpg

IMG_0895-vi.jpg

That's very nice looking Fuel Altered! Great job with this, good detailing on the engine and perfect wheel and tire choice! But only one thing: I think, that engine doesn't look very good because, it's hole chromed. I mean there is only chromed parts. That looks unreal in a drag car. I f this would be a show car, then OK. But very good job all the way!

That's very nice looking Fuel Altered! Great job with this, good detailing on the engine and perfect wheel and tire choice! But only one thing: I think, that engine doesn't look very good because, it's hole chromed. I mean there is only chromed parts. That looks unreal in a drag car. I f this would be a show car, then OK. But very good job all the way!

You didn't read Chris' intro, did you?

Gadzooks that looks great! I love it. actually, the chrome issue, theres only maybe three items that may not have been chrome in real life anyways and thats the ports, the scoop and the zoomies. But, I have seen them on the track anyways, so I find fault with w-409's statement anyways! Esp. when this is a concept car and as Chris had said, as if it was a show car that ran at the track. There were many of them in the day! How about the munsters coach or casket for beginners. Many of the wheel standers like the Jolly Roger(?) coach etc. So I do view that is very realistic and a supurb looking job! Way to go!

But that line should at least be coming from the fuel pump???

I have been told - and it could be bad info - that some early drag cars used pressurized fuel tanks, and that is the assumption I used for this build. I got that info when I was building my Miss Deal. The engine in that kit, unlike a typical race hemi has no provision for the fuel pump sticking out the front of the block. I was told that you could build up suitable pressure for a run just using a bike-type pump.

I have found a reference for using a hand pump for building up fuel tank pressure in this link. http://www.roadsters.com/coupe/ Scroll almost all the way to the bottom, or search on that page for "hand fuel pump" and you will find the reference. I will do some more searching for references later. Chris

Edited by Chris in Wilmington

You didn't read Chris' intro, did you?

Yes, of course. But that engine isn't looking right to my eye still. I read those every time, when I see a new topic or just new other stuff... That's not a misteke from Chris, I didn't mean that if you understand it like that. Not a mistake. :D

Edited by W-409

• 1 year later...