Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tractor Trailer Community Build

highway

Some updates from today

Got a little more done. This is getting real close to being finished.

Radiator

\DSC02861.jpg

Engine installed

DSC02860.jpg

Next comes a little body work touch-up, some interior details completed, and then I will put in the suspension and exhaust.

STewart

Edited by stewart

I have the brake booster read to go in, the brakes painted (they are from crazy scale auto parts. pretty nice B) ), the battery ready, and the wiper wash container painted.

DSC02862.jpg

Another pic of the engine.

DSC02863.jpg

STewart

Edited by stewart

Engine Bay is DONE!!! I glued in the grille, intakes, put on the washer fluid tank, and optima battery, and started plumbing the brake lines from the brake booster. The rear suspension is almost ready to go on. Just have to finish the drive shaft.

Here are the pics

DSC02870.jpg

DSC02868.jpg

DSC02867.jpg

A pic of the interior. I just finished up the final touch. Seat belts

DSC02866.jpg

DSC02864.jpg

STewart

Edited by stewart

I have the exhaust system in and ready to go. All that is needed now is to put in the front suspension and the moon roof. Here are the pics

DSC02872.jpg

I had the tips machined for me by a friend of mine. They look amazing.

DSC02873.jpg

DSC02874.jpg

Front strut

DSC02875.jpg

Front strut with shock absorber and wheel

DSC02876.jpg

I will post under glass pics tonight hopefully. Yipeeee B)

STewart

Complete!!! Just have to do the trailer now.

Here are the pics of the front chassis. The van still needs a few odds and ends like rear lights and a steering setup but it is almost completely done.

DSC02877.jpg

DSC02878.jpg

Here is a pic of it. The rest are in under glass

DSC02881.jpg

STewart

• 2 weeks later...

Count me in with Kenworth W900. This is an interesting community build. :)

Sure thing, and I know you have a WIP thread going on this already, but feel free to show some pics here too! :D

Hey guy's, every ones builds are looking great, sorry I've been MIA but "life happens" right?, I put the freight shaker away because of paint issues,but I have got a little done on my KW. COE,I have changed the trans to a twin stick,and changed to a single turbo, kit-bashed a dhrom box and picked up an italeri van trailer for it

100_4891.jpg

100_4888.jpg

100_4885.jpg

Thanks for looking

Hey guy's, every ones builds are looking great, sorry I've been MIA but "life happens" right?

You ain't kidding!!! :D Life has been "happening" for me too, between starting a new blood pressure medicine at the beginning of May that did wonders for my blood pressure but zapped every bit of energy I had to my wonderful 1:1 deciding she wanted 2 new batteries and 8 new glowplugs and throwing in a nail in the steer tire for good measure last weekend, life has been like that other "stuff" that happens!! B)

Thankfully, the doctor took me off the other medicine and put me on the higher dose of the old medicine I was taking and I have my energy back, and even felt good enough tonight to get the air conditioner back in the window so I could stop worrying the 85 degree temps INSIDE the house was going to make my kits melted lumps!! :lol: Hopefully now I can get back to the bench, and in fact going to the model room now and see if there's a cat that needs beat for being in there!!! :lol:

PS: No cats will actually be harmed, just severely yelled at!! :lol::lol:

Here you have some pictures about my Kenworth... I'll post the link also to the WIP thread, when comes the update, there are the text about what I've done, because I'm too lazy to write it to many places... :angry: But enjoy the pictures.

The kit is Revell, pretty good quality, but not the best, I've seen.

P2190745.jpg

Next two pictures, the cab and the frame.

P2190752.jpg

P2190753.jpg

Some wires were molded to the engine block, so I removed them and added some putty.

P3301380.jpg

P3301381.jpg

P3301382.jpg

Engine block painted and new wires added from Scale Dreams' stuff. The thick wire is some electrical wire...

P4051546.jpg

P4051547.jpg

P4051548.jpg

Some more pics about Kenworth W900:

I added some putty to the turbocharger, there was very ugly mold seam, because this part was glued from two seperate pieces. Some paint and glue and it was on its place.

P4061549.jpg

P4061550.jpg

P4061551.jpg

P4061552.jpg

P4061553.jpg

Then some weathering to the engine for more used look. This is not going to be any show truck, but it's going to be clean from the outside. Engine was looking "too yellow" without any weathering, so I added some black wash to it.

P5180073.jpg

P5180074.jpg

P5180075.jpg

P5180076.jpg

P5180077.jpg

And here is the link for the original WIP topic. THE WIP!

Edited by W-409

• 2 weeks later...

I have never lost intrest in this, my trailer is a PITA, I am thinking about just doing the trucks.

Not a problem, if you do decide to drop the trailer, just let me know and I'll take it off the build list.

I'm also still in this, just been stuck on how to do the winches and the sling.

any help would be great.

Nick

Nick, you could use some tubing for the winch barrels and cut some circles out of some sheet plastic for the ends. If you want it to look like the winches have the gears on them, if you know anyone that has that nasty habit called smoking (like I'm doing right now :lol: ), see if you can have the wheel out of one of their old lighters, then wrap some thin picture hanging wire around it for the winch cable.

As for the sling, see if you can find some thin vinyl or rubber in your local craft store or even around the house and cut it into strips the right size. Then take a couple pieces of plastic tubing and wrap the strips around the tubing and you have your sling!

I have been thinking, and since I have not been working on anything much, and some others are stalled right now too, and seeing has how free time will be cut down on my side because I HAVE to hope I land a job soon since I found I have no more unemployment available, I have been thinking of extending the deadline. Does something like maybe June 30, 2012 sound good to everybody?

im in lonestar with reefer,L700 car hauler,379 pete tractor with tank..

OK, I'll get you on the list, and don't forget to post pics of what you're starting with. :D

Matt got thinking, have no idea what to use for winch cable, thoughts?

Nick

Did you not read this!?!? :unsure::blink::huh::lol::lol::lol:

Nick, you could use some tubing for the winch barrels and cut some circles out of some sheet plastic for the ends. If you want it to look like the winches have the gears on them, if you know anyone that has that nasty habit called smoking (like I'm doing right now :o ), see if you can have the wheel out of one of their old lighters, then wrap some thin picture hanging wire around it for the winch cable.

I'm just joking around with you about not reading it, but here is what I found for winch cable, but these particular two look a little thick for a regular tow truck. I was thinking more about cables for my Can Do wrecker when I bought it, since the big wreckers have thicker cables! :lol:

HPIM3049.jpg

Here's a quick mock up of it on an old bed.

HPIM3051.jpg

I don't know if you have a Michael's Craft store up north or not, but most craft stores should have a picture frame department, just look there and see if you find some small enough to go for a smaller wrecker. I'll look sometime hopefully soon at my local Michael's and see what I find too, and if you have one up there close I'll give you the size to look for. :D