Model Cars Magazine Forum

Channeled '32 Ford Roadster with full bellypan

Bernard Kron

DSCF3192-web.jpg

32 Ford Roadster, channeled with full bellypan

More pictures below

Inspired by one of my all-time favorites, the Bob Longman channeled '32 Ford Roadster featured starting on page 28 of the July 1952 issue of Hop Up (or pg. 552 of Hop Up, The First 12 Issues). This Deuce roadster is based on the Revell Goodguys '32 Ford Roadster kit extensively modified as listed below. All parts are from the Revell kit unless otherwise noted.

Body Modifications:

Scratch built full bellypan

Scratch built rolled rear pan

Louvers from Revell '32 Ford Roadster side panels grafted to hood (special thanx to Ed Fluck for the how-to on doing this)

Resin louvered deck from Drag City Castings

Windshield chopped scale 3"

Body channeled scale 5" over frame rails

Model Car Garage p/e grill

Grill supports made from music wire

Interior:

Scale 6" sectioned from side panels and seat bottom

Dashboard with the cassette player and air-conditioning outlets replaced with blank panel.

Photoetch instrument panel from Replicas & Miniatures Co. of Maryland added

AMT '49 Merc steering column and wheel

Chassis:

Scratch built chassis, rear end z'd scale 6"

Front suspension lowered via suicide mount, three leaves removed from front spring

Front suspension modified to accepted traditional style drag link steering

Hairpins from Revell '32 Ford 5-window

Resin drum brake backing plates from ThePartsBox.com

Motor:

Ford Flathead V8 from Revell '32 Ford Sedan kit with Replicas & Miniatures Co. of Maryland Mallory "crab-style" magneto

Wheels & Tires:

Modelhaus T-640 18" Ford 8-spoke "Desert Wheels" (also known as Artillery, Divco or Milk Truck wheels) with 6.00.18 front tires and 8.00.18 rear tires.

Paints:

Body, bellypan and body parts: Duplicolor white primer, Tamiya TS-50 Mica Blue base coat and Tamiya TS-51 Racing Blue color coat, three coats Krylon Crystal Clear.

Wheels, steering column and steering wheel rim: Testors Acryl Light Grey

Interior: Testors Acryl British Crimson, Testors Acryl flat back, body color dashboard

Motor: Tamiya Red acrylic with Testors Metalizer details.

The full build-up can be found here: http://www.modelcars...40. Thanx to everyone for the kind words and advice!

Thanx for lookin,

B.

DSCF3219-web.jpg

DSCF3197-web.jpg

DSCF3201-web.jpg

DSCF3212-web.jpg

DSCF3204-web.jpg

DSCF3121-web.jpg

DSCF3223-web.jpg

DSCF3075-web.jpg

DSCF3124-web.jpg

Edited by gbk1

Wow, awesome! That paintjob looks very good to me. All of those modifications and scratchbuildings are made very very nicely. Engine looks very good too, and detailing is very nice also. That Bellypan looks pretty cool, I think and interior is very nice also. I like those tires and wheels too, they are just great and that grille looks amazing, is it photoetch...? But anyways very good looking Hot Rod, keep these coming, this one is one of your best ones. ;):D

Thanx guys. I'm glad you all liked it. This build fought me big time near the end but it turned out the way I imagined it so I guess it was worth it...

......that grille looks amazing, is it photoetch...?

Yes, it''s from Model Car Garage and it provides such a boost to the overall look of the car that I almost always use them!

Thanx again for all the kind words!

Edited by gbk1