Model Cars Magazine Forum

'68 Hemi Dart Super Stock

W-409

I had no time to post this topic yesterday, but here you go! This I got for X-mas present too. It's very nice kit, as always. Like just so much these Special Editions... Body needed few moficiations too. I made rear fenders bigger. Now slicks are fitting perfectly. I also sanded GTS logos from the front fenders and from the trunk lid. Also I sanded side markers from front fenders... I sanded body ready for primer. I also started the work with the engine. Block is painted by orange. I added ignition wires too, and they are looking pretty good. Interior work is the next step...

PC240520.jpg

Original GTS version body...

PC240500.jpg

Here it is, ready for primer...

PC250548.jpg

PC250549.jpg

PC240543.jpg

And some engine work...

PC260553.jpg

PC260554.jpg

PC260555.jpg

Thank you both! Andy, you got exactly same models than me! Great. I painted those little plug hats(?) from valve covers by matt black, as they are in real thing. It would have been easier to paint them before adding ignition wires, but now I did this way. My shaking hand didn't help that task at all... :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the comments! I primered the body yesterday. It was a little warmer than it has been long time so it was a good time to paint. It went pretty nicely with this one. I primered also '67 Impala body, but next step for it is stripping the paint off. This is good now and that's important thing...

P1090091.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, thank you for the comments, guys! Now the progress is little slow, because I need to get some matt black spray paint to my hands. Then I can paint interior carpet and flock it. Needs to paint the chassis part also. But I think, I get the paint pretty soon. Maybe. Thank you for the feedback. B)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No, it's not a pre wired... It's the original one, which came with the kit. Before painting it, I sanded the top of it smooth. Then I took some electric wire, there, inside the wire there is metal wire, that must be removed. Then the wire is hollow. Then it's important to watch, that the spark plug wire material you have, goes into that hollow electric wire. If it goes inside it, cut nine little, short pieces from the wire and glue them to distributor. Now you have places for installing eight ignition wires, and one for the ignition coil. That works fine for me.

I can post few pictures about that too. B)

• 4 weeks later...

Here you have a little update! I continued building the engine. Mostly I did some detailing to it. Carburetor linkage is now almost ready. I made the linkages from MIG welding wire and some thin metal wire. Fuel lines, from carburetors are made from that thin wire. I made the connection pieces (black ones) from electrical wire. Also I installed the belt and pulleys. Now I'm pretty close getting the engine istalled, I also painted the chassis with matt black and gloss black.

I built some mounts to throttle springs (don't know the name in english...)

P3201134.jpg

Painted chassis

P3221167.jpg

P3221168.jpg

P3221169.jpg

P3221170.jpg

P3221171.jpg

Thank you both!

Dart's Hemi engine got headers yesterday. I drilled holes to them for more realistic look. Then I painted them with Tamiya flat black. Normally I use Revell Enamel paints, but I bought some Tamiyas, because no one sold Revell paints at the show, where I bought these. Anyways, I painted them and mounted header flanges. They are Detail Master's photo etch parts. There are many of them in one set, I mean there are square ones, round ones and so on. This engine is getting ready for assembly. I also mounted starter, air cleaners and painted some bolts from transmission.

P3241258.jpg

P3251301.jpg

P3241259.jpg

P3251295.jpg

P3251296.jpg

P3251297.jpg

P3251299.jpg

P3251300.jpg

Yes, it's very nice kit. Really worth buying and building. It's great that there comes extra parts with the kit, 440 Magnum and other interior floor etc. It goes together very well, and it's fun to build, and add some details.