Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Revell '58 Ford Thunderbird

evilone

Ok i got some early B-Day cash and went looking for yet another kit. After taking a few hours of deciding what i wanted i settled on a 58 thunderbird 2n1. When i opened it i was simply impressed. The casting is good, minor body work is needed, chrome is good,and barly any amount of casting leftovers. This kit is a must to get in my opinion.

Whoa, that's one I need to get. My dad has an original issue he's been teasing me with for 30 years.

heck yes its well worth the price. Im building it right now and im happy with this kit. and no im not posting it. im keeping it under wraps until the march show lol.

I agree, it is a nice kit and looks very nice when it's built. A good tool is a good tool, no matter when it's built. So long as it's manintained and the machinery is operated by competent molders on a good molding machine, it will always produce a superior product.

Charlie Larkin

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, this one builds up realy nice. My only gripe was spending a weekend carving in all the panel lines- trunk opening, fender skirts and fender caps. Other than that, its a great kit that'll fil a major slot in any T-Bird freaks collection (namely me :lol::lol: ).

_MG_1290.jpg

_MG_1288.jpg

Got a question for you Harold, I noticed a small flash like section of plastic towards the insides of the tail light hoops where the trunk dips down to meet the rear bumper that looks like it should be cut out but doesn't say to do so in the instructions and interferes with the fit of both the centers of the stock bumper and the roll pan :rolleyes:

Am I right in thinking that those little bits of styrene need to be cut out?

I really liked building mine. Even with customizing it as much as I did, it still went together easily. I am sure I have posted it before, but here it is again. It went together so well that I plan on doing a more stock version of one. OK, can you tell I started this one in the 80's?!

Here was the inspiration...

flamingo.jpg

Here is what I ended up with...

tbirdtop.jpg

tbirdrearopen.jpg

Mike

Got a question for you Harold, I noticed a small flash like section of plastic towards the insides of the tail light hoops where the trunk dips down to meet the rear bumper that looks like it should be cut out but doesn't say to do so in the instructions and interferes with the fit of both the centers of the stock bumper and the roll pan :huh:

Am I right in thinking that those little bits of styrene need to be cut out?

Yes, Joe, they do need to be cut out to allow the rear bumper to fit. I'm not sure 'bout the custom rear pan, but they definitely need to be removed for the stock piece.

Wow, I didn't realize that this kits tooling is that old. I looked it up and it first issue was in 1964. I have built two of them so far. I did a molded in green one from 87 and an Elvira version. Both are long gone and I have another 87 issue to build.

Heh Sport...that wagon is beyond cool! My dad had a '71 Sport Suburban (95% same as your '70) bought new....and I took his '69 Chrysler Town and Country (similar body) and added big/bigger blackwalls surrounding Rocket Mags (the poor guys' Cragar SS imagation)...it looked wicked if I do say so myself. Of course, that was just about 40 years ago for me, and looks like yours is in your fleet now. Just super-cool. Congrats....TIM

I really liked building mine. Even with customizing it as much as I did, it still went together easily. I am sure I have posted it before, but here it is again. It went together so well that I plan on doing a more stock version of one. OK, can you tell I started this one in the 80's?!

Here was the inspiration...

flamingo.jpg

Here is what I ended up with...

tbirdtop.jpg

tbirdrearopen.jpg

Mike

OK, that's weird! I was looking at mine last night thinking that the deck lid and taillight surrounds would make a neat looking tonneau and lined up nicely with the seat backs. I do like how the stock bumper looks on that artwork and your build too, seems to fit the appearance better than the roll pan and grill. I have to do a different color though, pastels aren't my thing ;)

I think I'm going to try out Mike's Sketchpad concept on the next '58 kit I buy, I've always loved the Squarebirds!

I'm getting a new few ideas for mine from these pics!

Edited by Joe Handley

I built the same one from the sketchpad drawing around 1988 or '89. It's one of the worst pieces of junk I've ever built,,,,,NOT the kit, I mean MY BUILD, LOL.

DSCN0494-vi.jpg
DSCN0492-vi.jpg
DSCN0497-vi.jpg
DSCN0501-vi.jpg
DSCN0498-vi.jpg

The acetate windsheilds have since become deformed. This crappy build was actually the first model I ever had in a magazine, but I really don't know why it was chosen.

For those "Strictly Stock" among us, the kit has one little problem - the stock wheelcovers are incorrect - they are for a '57, not a '58. Modelhaus has the K-H Ford wires available in resin that would be an admirable replacement. That notwithstanding, its a great build.

Thanks for remembering that Count. It is in issue 138. I put a lot of ideas in it I learned from doing that pink version. There was a little design contest for someone who has a real one that is coming along nicely. I could send you the link to that as well as it is for a well known artist.

Mike