Model Cars Magazine Forum

Barrett-Jackson

I'm taking in the 2011 Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale show on Speed... and on the net. It's a reference photo treasure chest. I don't care for their web site layout, so here is a link:

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/currentcarlist.aspx?aid=403&sd=01/18/2011&ed=01/18/2011

The shear volume, quality, and variety is amazing.

I've decided that Matt Stone has replaced Sam Posey as the most annoying personality in CarTV World. he's got a great voice for the magazines. In the span of fifteen minutes He dclared green a primary color, talked up a 3x2 "four Barrel" and stepped on a point Steve Magnante was making to exclaim for the umpteenth time that the car rolling ove the undercam was shiny in the right places and um . . . The cliche he's mangled for years is "shiny in the right places, not shiny in the right places" but I've never heard him get it right. It's time to put that on the shelf with "Win on Sunday . . ."

I've decided that Matt Stone has replaced Sam Posey as the most annoying personality in CarTV World. he's got a great voice for the magazines. In the span of fifteen minutes He dclared green a primary color, talked up a 3x2 "four Barrel" and stepped on a point Steve Magnante was making to exclaim for the umpteenth time that the car rolling ove the undercam was shiny in the right places and um . . . The cliche he's mangled for years is "shiny in the right places, not shiny in the right places" but I've never heard him get it right. It's time to put that on the shelf with "Win on Sunday . . ."

I will listen to Matt Stone long before Barry Meguire goes Car Crazy!!

I cant wait to see what the Ambulance that took JFK to the hospital after he was shot goes for. It was covered up by the government too. They said that car was scrapped but it's proven its the same car. I'm also surprised Russo-Steele even has cars after all the damage last year. Phoenix area is a Mecca for car guys right now. Barrett-Jackson, Russo Steele, and 3 more auctions are going on all at the same time.

Did B-J yesterday with my son (got to ride in his '05 GTO), lots of nice stuff. I wonder if having five shows in town all on the same weekend has diluted the whole spectacle some? The classics (brass era) are no where to be seen and not a single "Hitler" Mercedes there either.There were several weird cars though, a giant V-12 tractor John Deerish motorcycle,a hot rod made out of new stuff (not an old part on it), a beer can car, and a jet powered 1955 sports car. I remember back in the seventy's most of the show was older cars, now it's mostly muscle cars.There were a lot of cars that certainly fell into the "Just because you have the money" category, a lime green ( everything under the hood was this color) '70 MOPAR with a giant Harrwood scoop bolted on the hood with no opening to the engine.

I cant wait to see what the Ambulance that took JFK to the hospital after he was shot goes for. It was covered up by the government too. They said that car was scrapped but it's proven its the same car. I'm also surprised Russo-Steele even has cars after all the damage last year. Phoenix area is a Mecca for car guys right now. Barrett-Jackson, Russo Steele, and 3 more auctions are going on all at the same time.

Brian- did you read the article on that in Jalopnik?

http://jalopnik.com/5739333/president-kennedys-ambulance-is-a-fake

nambulanceNOTEfoundtobeafake02-vi.jpg

In fact, I have heard that Barrett-Jackson will have a news conference on this some time before their event ends. I think this story is still evolving.

Edited by Jon Cole

This only proves my point that Barrett-Jackson is evil. They have damaged the old car hobby by making rusty, wrecked, barely parts cars cost more money because "one just like it went for $10,000 at auction" and now this. They promoted the sale of this car for months and are now insisting that they made no claims as to its authenticity. They didn't call it a replica when they promoted the auction. They didn't say the consigner said it was the real thing. They claimed in their advertising that the Kennedy ambulance would be auctioned at their sale. Now they are back pedaling as fast as their fat legs can go? One single telephone call to the Kennedy Library would have been all it took to find out if the car was for real, and Barrett-Jackson didn't bother. Why? Because they wanted to include this car in their advertising and saying it was a fake wouldn't have made for a good ad.

And last year they advertised the "Buddy Holly" 58 Impala right up until auction time, and then claimed that they couldn't document it........

Matt Stone isn't nearly as annoying to me as Bob Varsha.

I'm also surprised Russo-Steele even has cars after all the damage last year.

There is a ton of BS going on with Barrett dropping the hammer on cars too soon and screwing people on run times. Russo is where the REAL buyers and sellers are going. Barrett is a circus, more for goofball stuff. Russo has a TON of high end muscle this year.

Hey, who's the stooge 'handler' on the B/J stage that just tried to pry open the hood of the '55 Caddy Eldorado (lot #966.2) by pulling on the hood ornament!!?? He must have watched as the ham-fisted 'Speed' narrator aggressively yanked the hood open on the '47 Caddy Series 62 (lot #965) by its hood ornament just minutes before. What a buffoon.

Mike

I was so waiting for the Woodill Turbine car but I heard the thing start just as they went to commercial and I never heard any more about it. If you didn't catch the buzz, an engineer at McDonnel-Douglas stuck a helicopter turbine in a fiberglass two-seater that resembles the Euro sports cars of the early 60s. I want it.

The Barrett Jackson I've never been, but would like to once, just to say I have. Any car would look good under those lights. The BJ is a

travelling circus. I'd believe what The Professional Car Society says about that hearse/ambulance. Read earlier today that BJ says his

boys say its authentic. I've seen Mopars,authenticized by you know who that aren't even correct. Don't know if you can look the cars over

before the auction but there is some BAD stuff going through their. Did you know you could buy your own car back if it doesn't sell for $2,000.

That way BJ sells all the cars. No reserves....Nice show to watch on TV with a few beers......

Watched some of the BJ coverage tonight....loved the silver GTO Judge convertible and olive green '70 Chevelle SS...love the musclecars in the non-predictable colors. Looking forward to seeing the vintage Ferraris, etc at the Gooding & Company show tomorrow.

What I find amazing and rather irritating is production cars that have been restored go through the roof while race cars that show the skills of a craftsman often fall flat. I remember seeing a Lil 'John Hot Rod cover car sell. It went for less then forty. Then a restored Chevy hits $100K. Something isn't right with that.....

Mike

While I was watching tonight I saw 2 cars that I know I saw in person at the Mecum Auction here in St. Charles, IL last Sept. I know the 34 street rod P/U didn't sell at Mecum (didn't meet reserve), I'm not sure if the 47 Pontiac woodie sold or not, but both sold today for some rediculous money. I sure wouldn't go to B-J to buy a car, but if I was selling one, I wouldn't go anywhere else.

Edited by slantasaurus

I watched a little bit of the auction when WWE went to commercial. I thought I heard it announced that people have to pay $500.00 just to be able to bid. Can that be right? I need to contact some of those people because I have several bridges for sale - and these people appear to be bright enough to buy them.

I watched a little bit of the auction when WWE went to commercial. I thought I heard it announced that people have to pay $500.00 just to be able to bid. Can that be right? I need to contact some of those people because I have several bridges for sale - and these people appear to be bright enough to buy them.

I believe that bidders need to register. This keeps all the 'lookie loo's' out of the way. The staff (as well as buyers & sellers) naturally want serious bidders only taking up valuable real estate. As it is now, there is too many people up on the platform standing in the way. I suspect that most buyers have already scouted out the grounds earlier, and fully gone over their potential prospects.

On another note... seriously? someone actually quitting viewing the show because they failed to show the one vehicle they were interested in? OMG.