Model Cars Magazine Forum

A few new cars for NNL East (1st posting)

Peter Lombardo

This is my first posting to this forum. I have been building on and off since I was 8. I am now 58. I guess I have been doing this for a long time. (Took 8 years off for HO trains, but came back to my sences). I will be showing some of my cars at NNL East this weekend ( these and a few more). I have been showing there for 5 years now. I have been looking at everyone's posting for some time and thought it was time to begin partisipating myself. Let me know what you think of these. I really look forward to hearing your comments. Thanks for looking. Thanks for responding. I am currently working on a Chrysler 300 Touring wagon with Lambo front doors and "minivaan" style rear sliding doors, and a Dodge Magnum 2 door coupe with a Super Bee roof and rear treatment. I will post pictures once I make some progress with them. See some of you guys at NNL East.

428629915_3cb030e9e8.jpg

This is the 1970 Plymouth Road Runner with the first flame mask on. This was the drop shadow with the dark orange HOK pearl. I designed the mask on the computer and used a vinyl cutter "printer" to cut the design and then weeded out the area that would have the color.

428629928_eb6c63e603.jpg

Hood view

428629942_24e0dbd927.jpg

This is the dark orange after the painting mask was removed. Once dry, it was clear coated.

428629954_061554639e.jpg

Here the second mask is installed over the first painted flames.

428629965_cc698fc1cc.jpg

Here are the "flames" air brushed on before the mask was removed.

428629988_edda88c84f.jpg

Here the mask is almost removed...note the color on the roof. The body was painted with Mopar Dark Cranberry Pearl which was topped with Dupli-color Special Effex to add a heavy metalflake which changes color with the light.

428635830_cbf99c5338.jpg

Here is the finished car. This picture was taken without a flash so you really can't see the Special Effec in the paint. It really looks great in person.

428635845_8a8f305085.jpg

Another view of the car.

428635850_26ff173608.jpg

Here is my Chrysler 300C 2 door coupe. I graphed on the top and interior from the Revell Ferrari 612 Scaglietti, made the car into a two door, which I opened. Added a Bentley style grill and headlights, which are the taillights from the Ferrari. Paint is House of Kolor Black Base on top with Tangelo Pearl below. Hoppin Hydro wheels.

428635852_0b2ea59fb5.jpg

This is the rear view. I especially like the suttle spoiler on the rear deck. I think this is a car that Chrysler should do for real.

428635860_3e1284850d.jpg

This is the side view.

428635867_447333bbf9.jpg

Here is my Chrysler 300 Town & Country "Woodie". This is patterned after the 1946 Chrysler Town & Country convertible. The wheels came from a Franklin Mint diecast. The wood planking was all hand cut and hand painted.

428640858_7d9e504b8d.jpg

This the back view.

428640863_3e7d3c401a.jpg

This is the 4 door Chrysler 300 kinda "blinged out". Top was cut a scale 2 1/2 inches, moveable sunroof was installed. All the doors were opened and there is Bentley mesh grill up front.

428640866_9c1e830b2b.jpg

Rear view shows the faux continental kit on rear deck, Hoppin Hydro wheels. HOK Light Teal on bottom and Dupli-color Graphite topped with special effex on top.

428640868_a4871135ae.jpg

This is the "Luxury" Convertible in Cypress Green Pearl and Satin White Pearl, both Mopar colors. Hoppin Hydro wheels and rear seat head rest flares.

428640876_19ff1b4128.jpg

Front view

428640871_9919e832da.jpg

these last 4 shots are a VW Hot Rod. I picked up two basket case VW's at a swap meet for a few bucks. One a hard top and one a convertible. Between them, I made one car with a 3 inch chop, opening doors and an opened top with a vinyl cover. The flat 4 engine was siamess'ed to make a flat 8 with 4 weber down drafts. The flames on the hood were hand cut masks, air brushed one and hand painted pin stripes. There is a metal gas tank under the front hood and drop hot rod axel up front.

428643612_b05fceaa7b.jpg

428643620_83bce770ff.jpg

428643622_4364837f71.jpg

428643650_eb51e3d91e.jpg

To see these images in my Flickr set, click here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jpl3k/sets/72157594500070294/

Wow, Nice work! :shock: You really like those new Mopars, don't you? :(

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll enjoy the time spent here.

Nice flame work... I especially like the "inside out" leading edge, where the lick is actually body color.

I'm wondering, though, why you remove and replace your flame mask between colors? Seems like it would be hard to align the next mask...

Steve, thanks for looking and welcoming me. Let me explain the flame masks. Because I create them on the computer, I can very accurately control the size of each mask. I created 3 masks for the first layer, left center and right. I also created a second set, l..c..r, but I made them a little smaller. This way, the top layer is smaller and allows the first layer to appear as an outline and /or a drop shadow. In the past, I would very carefully try and hand paint, like on the VW, the outline, but my hand just isn't as steady as it once was. Yes, I do like Mopars, but Fords and GM's work just as well. I like to work on newer subjects, so there really isn't a lot to choose from. I just got the new Caddy STS, but right now the Chrysler 300, Dodge Magnum and Charger are the hot new kits. I just completed Two Ford GT's that will be at NNL East. One is a coupe with opening doors, hood and rear engine cover. The second is a Roadster with a scratch built rear engine cover, and opening panels as well. I'm sure we'll talk again. Pete

Guest roadkill2525

I love the woody idea, I've seen PT Cruisers with it but the 300 looks alot better. Just got one question about it, wheres the raccoon tail? The Roadrunner looks great along with the last 300 pictures.

How do you mold the continental kit into the trunk?

Thanks, you are right about the raccoon tail. The only problem is where would I put it? No antenna, rearview mirror? Oh well, thanks for the kind words. The continental kit is not that difficult. I traced out a circle on sheet plastic, and then cut the bottom so it would look to sit on the rear bumper. I taped the face into place and used a thin piece of paper to make a templete for the sides. It kind of took on the shape ( I am really dating myself here) of the crown that Wonderwoman used to wear. Stop laughing, that was the basic shape. Anyway, I cut it out, curved it around a hoppy knife and glued it in place. A little Tamiya putty, sandpaper and it was done. I did the same kind of thing a few years ago to a 49 Merc. I liked the way it looked on that car, so I thought it might look right on the blinged out 300C

Bill, coming from you, that means alot. I , also, am looking forward to see the jewels you will be bringing on Saturday. You may remember me from a couple of years ago at NNL East, I had the Ford F150 Lightning with the motorized top that retracted into the rear bed. Anyway, thanks for looking and commenting. Good or bad, I always want to hear what other modelers think of the work. It has been my experience that guys outside of the hobby are usually impressed by a well constructed model, but it's the guys that DO IT, that really understand the pressure that we self inflict upon ourselves, only they can really appreciate the hard work and pleasure that we get from the experience.

Steve, thanks for looking and welcoming me. Let me explain the flame masks. Because I create them on the computer, I can very accurately control the size of each mask. I created 3 masks for the first layer, left center and right. I also created a second set, l..c..r, but I made them a little smaller. This way, the top layer is smaller and allows the first layer to appear as an outline and /or a drop shadow. In the past, I would very carefully try and hand paint, like on the VW, the outline, but my hand just isn't as steady as it once was. Yes, I do like Mopars, but Fords and GM's work just as well. I like to work on newer subjects, so there really isn't a lot to choose from. I just got the new Caddy STS, but right now the Chrysler 300, Dodge Magnum and Charger are the hot new kits. I just completed Two Ford GT's that will be at NNL East. One is a coupe with opening doors, hood and rear engine cover. The second is a Roadster with a scratch built rear engine cover, and opening panels as well. I'm sure we'll talk again. Pete

Thanks, that explains my other question, also... How'd you get the outline? Very nice technique, makes for a beautiful flame job.

WOW!!!!!!!!!

EXELENT work Peter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish I could be there at the NNL to see those beautifull builds in person... :roll: :roll:

Beleive me those years on the HO trains didn't hurt a bit... Your skills are amazing...

Welcome to the board!!!!!!!!!!! :wink: :wink:

Thanks Dave, You are right about the placement of the "hump". I was faced with a bit of a dilemma there. Because the roof and upper fender was a transplant from the 612 Ferrari, I had to keep the length in tacked to make the union flow to my eye. I was pleased with the overall shape, so I thought that the design compromise was acceptable. I just think that a 2 door brother to the 300 sedan would be very well accepted. Right now the Bentley Continental Coupe is extremely hot. At well over $160,000, a $35,000 alternative from Chrysler would seem realistic. Anyway, thanks for the comments, good or bad, I need to hear it. Right now I am working on a 2 door Dodge "Super Bee" Coupe based on the 300 body, converted to a 2 door (again), with the Magnum front fitted on, Well, it was left over from the Magnum body being given to a 300 nose for a 300c touring wagon build that is also underway. I wish I could learn to do one at a time, but I always end up with multiple builds underway. Anyway, this 2 door has a 1970 super bee roof, with a 1969 Charger rear window "wing" treatment. I am very happy with the way this is working out. I will post pictures and try and document the build, which is a whole new experience for me. I wish I had documented the 300 builds. Thanks again, I am sure we'll talk again. As you may have noticed I tend to go on a bit.

Thanks, Paul. The Bentley grills are home made. I took the Chrysler grill, and very carefully removed the "egg crate" center being extremely careful not to damage the chrome plating on the outer edge. Then I took some wire mesh that I purchased in the hobby shop ( I don't recall the brand name, but I am sure you either have some or can find it in your local hobby shop. If there is a problem locating it, look in a shop that specializes in model trains. This same mesh is available as chain link fence material for HO scale train layouts. Once you have it, cut out a piece just larger then the opening, being sure to align it diagonally to achieve the crisscross look, and carefully trim it to fit. Because this aluminum, it is easy to bend, so I folded back the edges inward to make a clean fit. Once I had the fit right, I used a very small amount of CA to secure the edges. I must stress, a VERY LITTLE glue, as it has a tendency to find a way to go where it shouldn't. Be careful and it will work for you. As for the young lady, I originally built here for a 50 Ford coupe that I built a few years ago. I was replicating a picture in the Hot Rod, 50th year book. The car was Chopped, Channaled, Sectioned, Shortened and Scalloped. The picture had a young lady in a silver bikini that just looked great. I could not find a figure that was right so I found one that was standing upright, with one hand on her hip and one holding sunglasses in the other on top of her head. I had to completely dismantel her at most of her joints and rebuild her in the pose I wanted. I used small pieces of wire inserted in holes in each dismanteled joint and CA then Tamiya putty to reshape her shapely shape. Alot of work for just a figure, but I wanted her to complete the picture in the book. Thats it. If you want it bad enough, you can do it.

Thanks Myles, I think I need to better explain the vinyl painting masks I made. I inadvertantly mislead you. My brother is a sign maker. In the old days, a few years ago, that would mean he "hand paints" signs. Today that means he is a graphic artist who operates a computer. Today signs, well, the ones on trucks and such, are cut out of vinyl and layed onto the vehicle. I was always amazed by the intricacy and fine detail his cutter was capable of. I thought he and I could design masks that could be used for painting. I took digital pictures of the car, we scaled them in the computer so that the cut masks would be the correct size. Once done, we "printed" them on the cutter using the thinest vinyl that he had. If you want to do masks like this yourself, you only need to find a small sign company that does vinyl signs. I am sure in Colorado there are many. Once you explain what you want, they should be able to help you. Obviously, having a brother in the business is a great help for me, but this really not that complicated. I hope that helps you, if you have any other questions, please ask.