Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Waxing nostalgic"

"It would really be nice if R-M could restore this tool to the original 1964 "Little Deuce" for all of us waxing nostalgic t" speaking of their recent re-release of their '32 Ford Street Rod Classic Cruiser.I think we all do it and sometimes the model company's come through, I.E. AMT's DD, Double Tee, Monster's rods.I think their '36 Ford three window would work along these lines as well.Monogram probably has a few more than just the '32 Little Deuce.;)

Greg, someone on Facebook suggested re-releasing all the classic rods on Revell's page, including the Blue Beetle, Red Chariot, Yellow Jacket, and Green Hornet - and Revell thought that was a really good idea. I agree. Some of those were darn nice kits to begin with.

And reaching into the Revell vaults, how about bringing back the Orange Crate, the Scarlet Screamer/Bantam Bomber double kit, the Mooneyes Dragster/Altered Coupe double kit, and some of the 1962 "Metalflake" series of Chrysler Corporation products (Dart, full size Chrysler, Lancer, etc.)

And lets not forget our friends at round2/AMT/MPC whbile we are at it. How about: The Man From U.N.C.L.E. Car, the Get Smart Sunbeam Tiger, the Dodge Thunder Charger, the Super Teen Firebird, the Mannix Toronado, the Mission Impossible Coronet, the Astro-Vette, and the '32 Chevy Roadster?

How's THAT for waxing nostalgic????????

>And reaching into the Revell vaults, how about bringing back the Orange Crate, the Scarlet Screamer/Bantam Bomber double kit, the

>Mooneyes Dragster/Altered Coupe double kit

exactly!

just curious, i know they reissed the orange crate 10 years or so ago. but neither of the double kits you mention, which if i remember right were also available as the parts packs, were reissued that i know of. does that mean the molds no longer exist?

thanks for bringing this up, it was great to think of the times i butchered those kits when i was a kid.

Greg, someone on Facebook suggested re-releasing all the classic rods on Revell's page, including the Blue Beetle, Red Chariot, Yellow Jacket, and Green Hornet - and Revell thought that was a really good idea. I agree. Some of those were darn nice kits to begin with.

And reaching into the Revell vaults, how about bringing back the Orange Crate, the Scarlet Screamer/Bantam Bomber double kit, the Mooneyes Dragster/Altered Coupe double kit, and some of the 1962 "Metalflake" series of Chrysler Corporation products (Dart, full size Chrysler, Lancer, etc.)

And lets not forget our friends at round2/AMT/MPC whbile we are at it. How about: The Man From U.N.C.L.E. Car, the Get Smart Sunbeam Tiger, the Dodge Thunder Charger, the Super Teen Firebird, the Mannix Toronado, the Mission Impossible Coronet, the Astro-Vette, and the '32 Chevy Roadster?

How's THAT for waxing nostalgic????????

If only MPC had tooled up a '32 Chevy roadster! That kit is the Cabriolet, not nearly as neat as the roadster. FWIW, there have been but tow '32 Chevy roadsters modeled in kit form: Pyro did it in 1/32 scale, Hubley made one in 1/20th scale, diecast kit with plastic detail parts. Still waiting for one in 1/25th scale plastic!

Art

If only MPC had tooled up a '32 Chevy roadster! That kit is the Cabriolet, not nearly as neat as the roadster. FWIW, there have been but tow '32 Chevy roadsters modeled in kit form: Pyro did it in 1/32 scale, Hubley made one in 1/20th scale, diecast kit with plastic detail parts. Still waiting for one in 1/25th scale plastic!

Art

The Pyro '32 Chevy is a cabriolet. I've got the Life-Like reissue, body and top look the same as the MPC pieces. It's called a cabriolet on the box also.

I have been suggesting to R/M for the last couple of years that back dating the above early hotrod kits to their original glory would be a huge success. We did get the Black Widow this year, and that was pretty big. There are actually less parts to bring most of these back than most realize, so it's kind of a no brainer. (at least to me..... :lol: )

Perhaps Revell could duplicate what they did to the 1/8 Big Deuce and give multiple building versions to a revitalized Little Deuce kit. The highboy would not be possible, however, due to the chassis and fenders being a single unit in the kit.

Wouldn't be bad, though - Little Deuce, Son of Ford, and current rod in the same box as a 3-in-1? And how many spares boxes would be eternally grateful? :rolleyes:

Edited by larrygre

REVELL MONOGRAM, BRING BACK THE UNCERTAIN T,AND THE SIZZLER DRAGSTER. RUMOUR HAS IT THAT YOU LOST THE TIRE MOLDS FOR THE SIZZLER? IS IT TRUE? CAN THEY BE REVERSE ENGINEERED OR MADE NEW? HOW ABOUT REDOOING THE UNCERTAIN T? YOU DID A NEW TOOL FOR THE TIJUANA TAXI AND BATHTUB BUGGY, HOW ABOUT THE UNCERTAIN T???

REVELL MONOGRAM, BRING BACK THE UNCERTAIN T,AND THE SIZZLER DRAGSTER. RUMOUR HAS IT THAT YOU LOST THE TIRE MOLDS FOR THE SIZZLER? IS IT TRUE? CAN THEY BE REVERSE ENGINEERED OR MADE NEW? HOW ABOUT REDOOING THE UNCERTAIN T? YOU DID A NEW TOOL FOR THE TIJUANA TAXI AND BATHTUB BUGGY, HOW ABOUT THE UNCERTAIN T???

And don't forget the Rommels Rod. It was reverse engineered.

grumpy gus

Has any kit been totally "reverse engineered." ? I've heard the Carl Casper Undertaker Dragster was. Then I read it wasn't.If complete kits can be "reverse engineered." , there are an awful lot out there that would be good candidates, The Aurora's Racing Scenes, the two Aurora double hot rod kits('34 and '23 Tee) and the Monogram Sizzler Dragster.

Edited by Greg Myers

I'd buy them with out the tires.;)

• 3 months later...

yes it would be better if they can reverse eng. good o fashion parts like blowers&scoops. to wheels and old body stylies like the 40 ford 5 win. coupe. 41 willys street rod kit or that old 39 chevy sedan delivery. that i like to get but its rear and or exspeneve to buy. not to mention cost effective to do also. but revelle is just to lazy to do that. it would be good though?

Well I don't know if it's fair to call Revell "lazy" when they revese-engineered not just the Rommel's Rod, but the Tijuana taxi too.

Sign me up for a backdated Little Deuce, Little T, and a restored '40 Ford pickup while we're at it - AND, the one kit I think deserves this treatment the most (but I have to wonder about the viability of it):

UncertainTII-vi.jpg

A skotch off topic, but if you'll humor me- I'd love to see them include the old Revell parts pack motorcycle kits with some reissues. Next time the '64 Chevy Fleetside is reissued, thow in the Triumph kit, etc. Even something as simple as that would be pretty cool, as far as I'm concerned. :D

A skotch off topic, but if you'll humor me- I'd love to see them include the old Revell parts pack motorcycle kits with some reissues. Next time the '64 Chevy Fleetside is reissued, thow in the Triumph kit, etc. Even something as simple as that would be pretty cool, as far as I'm concerned. :unsure:

I seem to remember that Revell announced it was going to reissue the Triumph and Harley motorcycle parts packs a few years ago but then promptly canceled them claiming they didn't get enough preorders.

• 2 weeks later...

The Sizzler, the little "T" , the double kits and most of all...my holy grail...The Uncertain T would all be welcomed back with great sales I'm sure! I think you can get a resin kit of the Uncertain T from Australia, but it's pretty expensive. Has anyone built one of those?

Larry, I too would welcome a re- issue of the Revell 1962 Chrysler products . I also would welcome a re- issue of Monograms old Furutista ........... yeah , I'm dreaming too much ! Ed Shaver

Ed, when it comes to this, we're all dreaming perhaps a bit much - but our dreaming (and letting the model companies know about those dreams) have resulted in some very welcome issues and re-issues!

I for one would welcome a re-issued Futurista, but I have been told (from several sources) that the mold was indeed destroyed. Ditto for the much-wanted Uncertain T (sorry to be the bringer of bad news, Chuck.) Personally, I would LOVE to have both those kits back, but they would have to be reverse-engineered new tools, and R-M would have to have a very compelling business case to invest $$$ in such a venture. The '62 Mopars may or may not still exist - I do not have any knowledge of the state of the molds.

I have lately been suggesting to Round2 to issue some of the movie and TV cars of the 1960s if the molds can be found, starting with the Man From U.N.C.L.E. Car (the street version of the Piranha), the Get Smart Sunbeam Tiger, the old MPC Dodge Thunder Charger, and the Hot Rod Magazine XR6. I do keep hoping.....!

And Greg M. - the Sizzler would make a very attractive SSP release for sure - its a part of our childhoods!

I love the Futurista, but the truth is there probably is not enough demand for a new tool to justify its cost. Most likely, ain't gonna happen.

Best thing you could hope for would be a resin caster ...

B)